Just Between Us Gals

W

Weird Sister

When dancing closely how do you avoid getting sweat and deodorant on your partner?

And for the leaders (because I know you're lurking despite the title): Is this a common occurrence and is it as uncomfortable for you as I assume it would be?

LadyLeader

After a good shower the sweat is not a problem! I also use cloths which are easily washed - this could be a problem for other leaders in milongas with formal dress code.

For me a more real problem is the makeup. As you see in my profile picture the follower is leaning towards me and she rests part of her face on the fabric around my head. After a few tandas there is a brownish, blue, green, black stain depending on the followers makeup choices. I need to choose the color and pattern carefully so it is not so visible.

tangobro

When dancing closely how do you avoid getting sweat and deodorant on your partner?

And for the leaders (because I know you're lurking despite the title): Is this a common occurrence and is it as uncomfortable for you as I assume it would be?
It is a common occurrence. It is not a problem. I prefer to dance in an embrace, that requires contact & sweat is natural.

there is an old saying - horses sweat, ladies glisten. ;)

TomTango

I've had problems with visibly flaky deodorant on my blazer. Better than no deodorant at all though! I've had followers make my coat permanently smelly for the rest of the evening. Not cool.

I don't use deodorant. Eat natural, exercise regularly, get plenty of fresh air, and avoid stress, then observe normal hygiene norms, and you'll smell just fine.

MaggieMoves

I usually find that the clear "sport" antiperspirants/deodorants work the best. When I have a new lead, I tend to get nervous and it causes me to sweat a little more than usual. I've never had a guy tell me that they were bothered by it though.

There is this one lead in my area who sometimes wears a perfectly white business shirt. He is a lot taller than me and twice I got lip gloss on his beautiful white shirt. I felt so bad. Since then I try to blot my lips so I don't have too much make up on.

dchester

Staff member

Sweat isn't a problem for me, as I sweat too. To be honest, I don't recall ever getting deodorant residue/flakes on me.

Odor can be an annoyance, (especially if the smell lingers after the tanda is over). FWIW, it's a rather rare occurrence for me to notice an odor from a follower, (and if the tanda was good enough, it's not a deal breaker).

ArbeeNYC

Haha. It's fairly common, sure. Women sweat. Men sweat. We're animals, after all. However, some folks sweat a great deal and some not so much or hardly at all. Depending on height relationship and how close you dance, if the leader's (my) arm is directly below their partner's armpit, well you can draw your own conclusions. You get a sweaty sleeve. Of greater concern are women who are *damp*; they sweat pretty much all over and can be wet and sticky, especially after a few tandas have gone by. That's not so much fun.

yes i do close embrace and one particular woman leaves me with underarm smell on my shirt sleeve which other dances think is me

cant tell her so just bear with it she is nice

I learned that for best effect the antiperspirant should be applyed some hours before and you can wash your armpits before you go to the milonga. It seems that the antiperspirant effect needs some time to be developed and it is not happening on skin but in the skin.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don't dance AT but felt compelled to chime in as someone who is a big time sweaty gal, I always use only clinical strength anti-perspirant AND deodorant and I tend to only wear long sleeved, covered pit clothing to keep it to a minimum for my poor partners...I think most are understanding that it is beyond control as long as it is "clean sweat"

First - I am noting the title of this thread "Just Between Us Gals" - but I offer the women and men who are reading it the following, from a man. It's lunchtime and I'm wandering around the newer threads while I eat at my desk.

Most of my life I had to use a lot (tons!) of deodorant each morning due to constant excessive underarm sweating. I had an outpatient procedure done last year that alleviated 95% of it. It's changed my life for the better, especially while dancing. And it's expanded my choice of shirts to anything I want to wear, anytime, instead of just dark, sweat hiding colors.

I am rather amazed how much some women sweat while dancing - thought it was just a guy thing - and the dampness or even dripping sometimes ends up on my right wrist or lower forearm. Not much we can do about that, but again, there are permanent medical options. It's thoroughly changed my confidence at work, while dancing, and elsewhere. But, I dare not bring up/suggest this as a remedy to sweaty dance partners - obviously.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I had a friend who had a procedure which I believe also included botox injections...consequently, she fatigues very easily because she cannot cool herself

I had a friend who had a procedure which I believe also included botox injections...consequently, she fatigues very easily because she cannot cool herself
I did not use botox as it is supposedly temporary. I hesitated to name it in my posting so as not to be accused of pitching/selling something on this forum. You are a moderator - can I name it?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
it is fine to say what you had done...I am simply noting that persons should, before embarking upon any procedure, be certain that they are in good physical health and well aware of any side effects...but sure, you can share the name of what you had done, I just wouldn't name a specific provider...and thanks for asking first

I used MiraDry, a procedure I discovered on a poster at the dermatologist's office during a skin check last summer. It worked wonders for me and, while YMMV, fascination is correct. You should research it thoroughly before proceeding. It is supposedly a permanent solution. There are some really good "How does it work" type videos online to see what it is and how they do it. I shopped around and there are several places offering it, at least near bigger cities. There are a few complaints online that it did not work for some people, but for me, I'd say I got 95% reduction in sweating with one treatment, and I did not see the need to go back for a second treatment.

It's oftentimes nerve-wracking enough dancing socially with women other than my wife, especially dancing up with the most talented followers. Getting rid of the underarm sweat was a big help and just one less concern.

Dance Ads