Less-than-satisfactory videography at competitions.

ajiboyet

I refer to the following video:

It's extremely annoying to me when the guys in charge of video choose to zoom in in rather undesirable ways. Like when Dasha does those awesome spins and they choose to focus on her feet. I also remember a video at a major IDSF (then) competition when Maria Tzaptashvili (then with Kuznetsov) did this crazy good move in her samba, even though we were treated to her shadow on the floor instead of her.

It makes me think: aren't the guys in charge of video in large competitions like World Masters supposed to know a little something about dance? Not technique or anything, but shouldn't they know that you can't focus on the feet OR even worse, the shadow? World Masters has been on forever; I'd like to think their video people have learned a thing or two. Except maybe they switch them up frequently or something.

What say you all?

ChaChaMama

My favorite part is where we look at a light fixture from :33-:38. What's doubly weird is that this is clearly not being shot with ONE camera that zooms in and out. (Some shots are overhead, and I don't think the most logical explanation is single cameraperson with Harry Potter-like capabilities.) So...why edit the video like that?

I actually do like some artistic zooming in. I think you can sometimes capture the emotion better by coming in for a close up on just faces and upper bodies, rather than a static medium distance shot. I didn't even mind focusing in on the feet during the spins, as that was impressive in its own way. But I agree that there were a LOT of foot shots in this video, to the point where I found myself aware of the cameraperson trying to put his/her own stamp on the product rather than just capturing the moment.

DanceMentor

Administrator
something tells me that if they don't get it together they won't be selling their video services for much longer. the price of the services can be very high. I don't know if they were trying to save money or if this was a professional and they just didn't do so good this time. When I pay for my own videos I expect good quality but so often it kind of feels like it is more about Profit and not too much about me since there are no choices on who I can hire.

middy

Oh goodness, this reminds me of AWFUL video we received after performing at a basketball halftime show. It was a big group routine with lots of couples and transitions between songs, and whoever edited the video was really really incompetent. I don't know if they were used to fast sports cuts or what, but they would use video of people off to the side doing nothing (while others were still dancing in the center), cut to people posing while another couple was doing some interesting solo, or would cut out 1 out of 4 couples, or zoom in randomly when a wide angle would've been better. A dance parent with an iPad just getting a still frame of the whole court would've been much better.

middy

Re: the video, I hated the flowers in the foreground...super distracting. They'd be okay there for a moment, but no longer.

Agree with chachamama re: artistic zooming - it has its place, but I think it should be brief.

Wow, this was really hard to watch. As a video guy myself it was extra painful. Despite the terrible framing, the awkward zooms, the ugly angles, the shot holding on the light, and the flowers in the foreground, the other thing that REALLY bothered me is that half the routine is viewed from a position that is clearly not the intended audience. We hang behind the dancers watching his back and his body obscuring her actions. Dancing a bit with your back facing your intended audience is certainly a valid thing to show, but the extended duration and the blocking of the view of the partner lead me to believe that we got a lot of the wrong view. And this was one of the only sections where we see their whole bodies!

Egorich

As much you all hated that, let me justify their actions a bit. Based on the angles, I assume there were about 5 camera operators. All of them are, most likely, NOT dancers. All 5 have a little headset with which they get angle zoom in/out, pan, tilt, etc. directions for the control panel, or folks that do that rapid switching of frames from close up, to balcony, to dolly. And the control panel guys are, most likely, NOT dancers as well. They have a broad knowledge and understanding of how these type of events shall be shot, oriented mainly towards a non-dancing crowd.
But before you say anything, I agree with what y'all sayin' :)

Dance Ads