Life is Hard Thread

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
My condolences...brain cancer can be tricky...one large seizure can have huge impact...and you are right that it is unlikely that serves would be before monday...at least in the more formally structured denominations...peace to you as your family goes through this...hug

MaggieMoves

My FIL passed away yesterday at 77 after a months-long bout with brain cancer. It was unexpected (to me) that it would happen this week, as he had been very slowly deteriorating in a sort of indefinite state with no clear end in sight. The last time I saw him was at Thanksgiving when it was starting - we had about 12 conversations that day to re-establish what day was today, tomorrow, etc - very similar to what one would expect from an Alzheimer's patient, and disconcerting to witness in someone as sharp and intelligent as he was. Since then he basically became a shell of his former self and gradually lost the ability to perform most, if not all, of the ADL's, and was being cared for at home by MIL, BIL, and DH's cousin. DH was travelling up to their house (couple hours drive) most weekends to help out. The whole thing was low-grade stressful for everyone involved, so although there is much sadness, I hate to say there is also a sense of relief for the caregivers. DH is leaving after work today to head to their house for a couple days. Not sure when the funeral will be, since this weekend is Easter which is a busy time for the church.
Ugh that's just awful. So sorry for your loss.

IndyLady

Thank you all for the kind thoughts. Visitation is tomorrow and funeral is Friday (another surprise to me that they ended up scheduling it so soon). I just realized I haven't seen any of his family since Thanksgiving - I've been staying home with our son on weekends (he would have been like a bull in a china shop up there, the last thing they needed), so we will see how it goes.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
things are difficult here ...because I am not fully anonymous, I am not going to elaborate except to say that there are some very serious challenges to well being going on (on several fronts) in my immediate family...and I am currently working a great deal which is probably a saving grace....I am doing everything I can to be open to the lessons and benefits which always come from major upheaval...I share all of this as sort of an apology for my absence on the forum, relative to my previous degree of involvement...do know that I check in and will make every effort to be more present as soon as possible

FancyFeet

Sorry to hear that Fasc! I think I can speak for all when I say do what you need to do - and reach out for help or a sounding board via PM if that is what you need - and when you're ready to re-engage, we'll be here and happy to "see" you :)

3wishes

Thoughts and prayers on your current journey Fasc.

We are headed to Austin. For a much longer period of time as our fearless adventurous daughter is having heart surgery at Stetson on the 21st. I will only say this started in early June. Because I am not going to start from the beginning, let’s leave it at, she’s a walking ticking time bomb who has already had 4 strokes. 2 when she was 19, and two massive ones 3 weeks apart in June. Suffice it to say, they were so perplexed that as the last and final straw they did DNA health tracking to figure this out. Fingers crossed, prayers said and skilled doctors on board. Will check back in after the 21st. We could use lots of prayers and good wishes.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thoughts and prayers on your current journey Fasc.

We are headed to Austin. For a much longer period of time as our fearless adventurous daughter is having heart surgery at Stetson on the 21st. I will only say this started in early June. Because I am not going to start from the beginning, let’s leave it at, she’s a walking ticking time bomb who has already had 4 strokes. 2 when she was 19, and two massive ones 3 weeks apart in June. Suffice it to say, they were so perplexed that as the last and final straw they did DNA health tracking to figure this out. Fingers crossed, prayers said and skilled doctors on board. Will check back in after the 21st. We could use lots of prayers and good wishes.
so very very sorry to hear this...my prayers and virtual hugs

cornutt

My MIL passed away unexpectedly yesterday. She had gone in for what was supposed to be fairly minor surgery, but complications set in rapidly, and two days later she was unresponsive, and had to be put on a ventilator. Her organs shut down and she never regained consciousness. DW and I were on vacation and had to abort and return home. Tomorrow, we go with DW's stepfather to the funeral home to make arrangements. This has been hard on DW because she and MIL were pretty close.

Dance Ads