Lindy Lesson #3

From Margie at the California Lindy Hopping Society
Lindy Lesson #3,
For the last three Friday night's I found myself focused on a student in Swing class at Suzy Q's, Bob who during and after class was practicing spins (pirouettes). Bob kept on falling off his full spins, no matter how hard and long he practiced. Although I knew why he was not able to improve his spins, I was reticent in offering my suggestions to a stranger. But by the third week, I was compelled to offer my suggestions at the risk of having my well intended offering rebuffed.
Fortunately, Bob welcomed any assistance, and after explaining a few techniques that he was able to apply within twenty minutes, he was able to execute full spins balanced on the ball of one foot, without falling, still balanced on the ball of his foot in the same manner that he started the spin with good posture.
So what! Bob is a retired public school teacher, past 65, with average agility for his age. What he was unable to accomplish in the three weeks that I had observed him faultering on every spin, he was able to accomplish in twenty minutes applying the few ballet techniques that I shared with him.
When dancers trivialize the importance of dance techniques, they are unaware that dance techniques have been developed by some the greatest dancers over hundreds of years and been refined to enable even an average dancer like Bob improve significantly in a matter of twenty minutes, a movement he could never improve without these techniques. Learning a great variety of Swing combinations is not a fair compensation for the lack of dance techniques.
What I have been proposing to West Coast dancers these past months, is that the difference between West Coast dancing and the original Lindy Hop are 'TECHNIQUES' developed by some of the greatest dancers of the 20th Century. Wake up West Coast dancers! If Bob can benefit significantly from a few dance technique within twenty minutes, why can't you?

Black Sheep

Dance Ads