Lower Back Stiffness

skwiggy

Katarzyna said:
That exercise is SO DIFFICULT for me.. I have such tight hips.. I've been working on the for a while and there is slight improvement, but this stretch is almost unbearable for me... hamstrings on the other hand are super loose from all the stretch and yoga classes....
Are you able to do it without leaning your upper body forward? That could be a start...

skwiggy

RhumbaWaltz said:
My job requires me to be at the computer non-stop so I'll need to figure out some better ergonomics for those 8 hours of the day.
Definitely look into your chair and you keyboard and monitor set up to make sure it's ergonomic. But also important is taking breaks. Get up once every hour and take a quick break. Go get a glass of water, or just stand up and stretch, or walk around the office for a bit. It's terrible for your body to sit for that many hours in the same position without periodic breaks.

mamboqueen

DWise1 said:
Hmm. Considering what it requires me to wear, I'd better just do it at home before I go to dance class.

That wasn't you in the picture?? ;)

I had the same thought....I don't even want to picture myself doing that nekkid!

Katarzyna

skwiggy said:
Are you able to do it without leaning your upper body forward? That could be a start...
Even that is super painful.. I try, it's something I work on, but it's one of the most difficult stretches for me... on the other hand, i'm like 2 inches away from a split...

skwiggy

Do you ever do the one where you lay on your back, cross one ankle over the other knee, and then pull that knee to your chest? That may be easier since you can control the amount of the stretch better than in the pigeon, and I believe it stretches similar muscle groups.

Katarzyna

skwiggy said:
Do you ever do the one where you lay on your back, cross one ankle over the other knee, and then pull that knee to your chest? That may be easier since you can control the amount of the stretch better than in the pigeon, and I believe it stretches similar muscle groups.
Yes, I do that one too, and it's also really tough. This has been such a frustrating area to open up... I guess it's from years of competitive skiing + rollerblading without stretching... Paying for it now....
I know how to strech it, just working on this area isn't pleasant... so I often try to avoid it

Katarzyna said:
Yes, I do that one too, and it's also really tough. This has been such a frustrating area to open up... I guess it's from years of competitive skiing + rollerblading without stretching... Paying for it now....
I know how to strech it, just working on this area isn't pleasant... so I often try to avoid it
That's me when it comes to hamstrings. I've got obscenely flexible hips, but my hamstrings *really* tightened up after I got out of competitive diving and I got lazy. Hamstrings were never, ever my strength though.

Katarzyna

Medira said:
That's me when it comes to hamstrings. I've got obscenely flexible hips, but my hamstrings *really* tightened up after I got out of competitive diving and I got lazy. Hamstrings were never, ever my strength though.
so you are totally opposite to me. I have super flexible hamstrings

Katarzyna

Medira said:
Do you have any suggestions for hamstring stretches, Kat? Or is yours more of a "natural" flexibility?
I've developed it. It definitely wasn't loose before.. I was doing some stretch classes and they worked on hamstrings a lot (before I wasn't touching my toes, now I can comfortably have my palm on the floor without any problem even without warmup)... The classes worked with resistance. We used some sort of rope. you would lie flat on the floor and pick one foot at a time flexing it, you would pull on the rope to bring it closer to your head and to flex the toes more.. while doing that you would keep your lower back on the floor and visualize stretching from the hip up to the ceiling... plus bunch of other exercises that are similar to this one... Also I did bunch of yoga classes. All the vinyasa classes opened up the hamstrings a lot... especially the downward facing dog...

Are there any stretches that target the muscles running along the outer sides of the calves? Mine are supertight and I think somehow it's translating into tension in my arches too.

oh yes, my hamstrings and quads muscles frequently get super tight from running. The best thing I do is attend yoga class asap (about to go to one right now..)

One stretch I curently love for quad/hams is the inverted boat pose, where you're lying on the stomach, and grabbing either ankle from the inside (this is not the same as the inverted backbend, but it's similar). I have to lean onto the side I'm stretching to really feel it. Also there are several lunging positions, some with knee on the floor that help. There's also the standing on one leg, to grab the other, and the dancing-sheila

Anna said:
Are there any stretches that target the muscles running along the outer sides of the calves? Mine are supertight and I think somehow it's translating into tension in my arches too.
I don't know if I can describe it well, but there's one you can do pushing off a supporting vertical surface ( like a wall or tree) or using an edge (like some stars or a sidewalk).

to push off say a tree, you're inclining the stretching foot at 45deg. You can also use the tree for support with the non stretching foot in front, the stretching foot about 2 feet back, and then raise the heel of the stretching foot. You can turn it inwards or out for a better stretch.

the stair/edge stretch is like doing heel raises and drops

Beware before start stretching!

I have been stretching to prevent lower back stiffness for many years now. This time the ache didn't follow the usal pattern. No one of the ordinary cures did work.

I visited a physiotherapist today.
After the examination she said that I have problem with the discs - the yeally like substances between the vertebrates.

To much leaning forward at work has pressed the discsubstance backward in the lower back. The nerves are hurting due to the stress/pressure. It is not any slipped disk (yet). But it might be without proper threatment.

Ordinary stretching of the hamstrings might make it worse. All motions that makes my spine lean forward if totally forbidden. I may not sit in ordinary chairs (I have a chair where I sit on a plate under the butt and with the weight on another plate under my knees). I may not use a pillow in bed.

The new excersice I got is laying flat on the floor on my stomach. Put the hands somwhere just above the shoulders. Press the upper body upwards but keep the hips and the butt on the floor.

I must do that every hour for a week. So far it feels great! After just two excercices. Let's hope the physiotherapist is right!

And I may dance salsa....if I avoid pelvis motion forward. No merengue, no batchata, no regeatton , no griding...I can survive that :). I must dance salsa with a back straight as a candlelight.

Please - if you have problem with the lower back, visit a physiotherapist!!
This scared me almost to death. But I may be cured totally.

Take care!!

/luc

Dance Ads