Luca and Loraine Baricchi

anp73ga31

The only one that didn't work for me was the very first poster's links...said private or something. But the other videos and the lectures posted directly from youtube, they still work...I guess thats as good as we can do without buying his video. I am fascinated by the two parts of the lecture posted on posture....been watching those over and over again in the hopes it will sink in. lol!

I gathered from listening to Luca that an understanding of how to achieve the beauty of that fluidity lies in understanding the nuances of how to subtley articulate the spheres of movement around each joint. Not something I understand. But I look forward to getting to the point where I can start to absorb that information.
Samina
Samina, for someone who doesn't understand it, you sure know how to explain it! It's exactly that: articulation of spheres of movement. Opposition. If your upper wants to project forward, you project your lower body backwards, if your upperbody wants to project left, your lower body projects right, put the two together, and you have "promenade" position in waltz for the man. The counterbalancing occurs as the two main spheres (upper body and lower body) rotate off of each other within your body. Counterbalancing gives you control by preventing side loading, forward loading, or back loading (depending on which way you're trying to project). Loading usually causes a person to fall in the direction of the load. If they counter-balance they don't fall: they project.

My coach explains it perfectly, and makes it that much easier to understand how Luca produces his movement. It's no cake walk, but I no longer watch him dance in total disbelief. :D

samina

some guy, i'm so glad you bumped this thread up. have been wanting to return to consciously exploring these principles -- it was on my mind just this week. :)

these principles figured so prominently in my mind all last year, and they helped me diagnose some remediation i needed to sort out in my physique to free certain areas up for better articulation, or to allow deeper movement without throwing my weight off. really powerful concept -- as simple as they are, they seem to apply everywhere and all the time!

the last few months i put those ideas aside and focused on remediating problem issues, but i'm so ready to regard them a-fresh.

maybe i'll start with a re-watch of luca's dance bible -- have you seen it?

these principles figured so prominently in my mind all last year, and they helped me diagnose some remediation i needed to sort out in my physique to free certain areas up for better articulation, or to allow deeper movement without throwing my weight off. really powerful concept -- as simple as they are, they seem to apply everywhere and all the time!
If Luca ever writes a book you should be the one to help him do it! You really know how to articulate your ideas: deeper movement without throwing one's weight off, applying it everywhere and all the time. So simple, but like you said, very powerful!

I watched the Dance Bible. My coach noted that Luca has gotten a lot bolder and is taking more risks with his dancing since he stopped competing. I had to agree. It's as if he's trying to evolve ballroom dancing into something a lot more advanced and sophisticated than others get away with presenting. Years ago, when my focus was Latin, I never thought much of Luca because everything he did was so effortless that I thought there was not much to his dancing! Then my focus shifted and I felt pretty silly. A part of me wants to go back in time and kick the old "me". :bkick:

Joel & Clara spent a year studying with he and Lorraine so I gather there was a bit of a personal bond getting him out but why not just contact him and ask what it would take to get him to Boston.

If there's a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit in you...eg.

My wife is bringing in Myles Munroe & Tessa Cunningham for a 2 day workshop series April 19/20. Besides being Canadian Champs in WCSwing they are ranked top 5 in the world.

http://www.dancingdragon52.com/WCS.html

We couldn't afford them ourselves but we talked our local association into going big this year and bringing in Misa Cigoy and Alexandra Malai as our demo couple for our community competition this year (advertising isn't up yet). After expenses they'll be double what we normally budget but they'll put more butts in seats too:

http://www.vbds.org/dpintro.htm

There's always a way to do these things if you've a mind to.

OB

samina

If Luca ever writes a book you should be the one to help him do it! You really know how to articulate your ideas:
pass that on to him for me, okay? ;)

I watched the Dance Bible. My coach noted that Luca has gotten a lot bolder and is taking more risks with his dancing since he stopped competing. ...It's as if he's trying to evolve ballroom dancing into something a lot more advanced and sophisticated than others get away with presenting.
when i have heard my own instructor and another speak of luca, it is that he has sort of invented his own thing... that he discovered it on his own. i have a high regard for that type of independent thinking from someone who asks questions beyond what is normally accepted, and follows an inner compass to find the answers. :)

Josh

i have a high regard for that type of independent thinking from someone who asks questions beyond what is normally accepted, and follows an inner compass to find the answers. :)
It's my view that ANY great (not famous necessarily, just great) champion of his or her art must at some point come into this way of being. Maybe it will be a great movement, maybe a smaller movement, but whatever the case, to truly speak with conviction of a philosophy or methodology, it *MUST* belong to the person. Obviously Luca's ideas were formed by those who influenced him, as they weren't divinely planted there--but to take the ideas of others, recompose them in one's mind, is to truly be original, IMHO. It's "standing on the shoulders of giants," as all great ones have done.

My mind was racing with thoughts of "how the heck can we get him to stop in Boston on his way back to Italy?" Oh well, fat chance.
Please don't despair, there is ample hope. Luca Baricchi will conduct a 90 min low cost workshop at a studio in Nutlely, NJ, at 6 - 7:30 pm on coming Saturday April 12, 2008. In this session, you can ask him any questions about dance and he will answer. Not surprisingly to any one, I usually engage in heated debates with him every time he conducts this workshop, and he handles me like a statesman.
You can either come to Nutley or ask him to swing by my old hometown of Boston. If you need more info PM me.

GJB

Wish the workshop was on Sun. I want to go to the Philly Festival on Sat. night.

I wonder why Nina didn't advertise the workshop it on the Starlight website?

Wish the workshop was on Sun. I want to go to the Philly Festival on Sat. night.

I wonder why Nina didn't advertise the workshop it on the Starlight website?
I guess that this was an imprompotu decison. My haunch is that Luca was passing by from Vancouber and decided to stop by to see his old deciple Giampiero. Nina announced it last night to a small inner core people. I couldn't believe my ears, so I called her again today to make it sure it was true, and it is true. But don't dispair, my precious friend, Luca and Lorrane will perfom the full showcase on August 16 at the same place. It hasn't been announced either, but I hear that top NY dancers have already reserved all of the front tables. One heavily snowing night a couple of yrs ago Luca dropped by, so stopped dancing, walked toward him, and asked him, "do you remember me?" He answered, "How can I forget you?" This exchange made Nina puzzled. She did not know he and I needle and jab each other every time we had encountered. This time will not be an exception. I'm good at insulting people but I have had no success with him yest, but will keep on trying.

Yes, am choosing same although would have loved to attend the workshop.
Luca's workshop was quite memorable. Upon my bold request, he demonstrated a number of picture lines with no less than Ieva Pauksena, who was partnered with Giampiero and was taking coaching from Luca before the workshop. Obviously, Ieva was not his regular partner, but his demonstration was breathtaking; it was incredible. The speed, flexibility and fluidity were just magical. When I made my request for the demonstration, I kissed his boots by saying to him, "as far as I am concerend, you display the best picture lines in the world, if not in history." He proved to us that this was not an over statement.

Dance Ads