Manhattan Dancesport Championship 2010

j_alexandra

Just got back from watching Smooth scholarships. Any night when I can watch Michelle Officer, Lisa Vogel, Larinda, and Shalene, is a good night. I got quite an eyeful of high-level Smooth.:D Which was exactly what I wanted, and even worth driving to freakin' Brooklyn for. And getting lost, predictably, although how I could have gotten lost is beyond me. All I know is I crossed the Brooklyn Bridge 3 times in order to get there. This cannot have been right. :nope:

dancerman

Manhattan

Chris,
Hope you all have an incredible competition down in New York. Best pof luck to all of the students. Give my regards to all.
Brian Bercury aka Dr Shoe!

Supershag will be there doing results and video(hopefully the new video site will be up and fully functional )We also have 62 pro-am students competing.

Cheers chris

Joe

Yes, but if you're coming from the other direction you need to know in advance when to get off the main roadway, otherwise you could get stuck going over the bridge.

j_alexandra

Yikes ! Cross the Brooklyn Bridge and the hotel is on the left hand side. You make a u-turn at about the second or third light.
/startwhine/

It was that "make a u-turn" part that I missed. :oops: And as a new going-to-the-Marriott driver, I did not know that once you get back on Adams St. going north, you're going over the bridge. Period. NO EXIT to the side road. And cops everywhere, so no bad behavior for JA.So I sucked it up and went back over the bridge. And made an EXTREMELY illegal u-turn at the other end (lucky no cops there) and went *back* over the bridge, and this time found the hotel but missed the parking entrance. :mad: Around the corner, one mo' time to the hotel. I swear, it took me 2 hours, literally, to drive the 33.8 miles from my house to the Marriott.

Granted, there was a Yankee game messing up the GWB, but still. 2 hours. 33.8 miles.

And people think I'm a wimp b/c I don't want to drive to Brooklyn. I'd rather drive to Boston -- it's only an hour further! But after I surrendered my car to someone who tenderly roped it in to a personal private (expensive) parking space, and applied Jameson to my shattered nerves
, the evening was splendid.

But don't even mention the FDR on the way home. /endwhine/

Sorry to hear that that happened to you, JA! Not being familiar with NYC at all when we went to the Manhattan in the past, the GPS unit in the rental car got us right to the Marriott in Brooklyn. The GPS also helped us when we went around the city to see the sights, on one of the days that we did not take the subway.

/startwhine/

It was that "make a u-turn" part that I missed. :oops: And as a new going-to-the-Marriott driver, I did not know that once you get back on Adams St. going north, you're going over the bridge. Period. NO EXIT to the side road. And cops everywhere, so no bad behavior for JA.So I sucked it up and went back over the bridge. And made an EXTREMELY illegal u-turn at the other end (lucky no cops there) and went *back* over the bridge, and this time found the hotel but missed the parking entrance. :mad: Around the corner, one mo' time to the hotel. I swear, it took me 2 hours, literally, to drive the 33.8 miles from my house to the Marriott.

Granted, there was a Yankee game messing up the GWB, but still. 2 hours. 33.8 miles.

And people think I'm a wimp b/c I don't want to drive to Brooklyn. I'd rather drive to Boston -- it's only an hour further! But after I surrendered my car to someone who tenderly roped it in to a personal private (expensive) parking space, and applied Jameson to my shattered nerves, the evening was splendid.

But don't even mention the FDR on the way home. /endwhine/

danceronice

Yeah, be nice to j_alexandra, people--I'd be terrified of driving in New York and I survived driving Boston (which is like unto hell only with toll gates.) I would get so lost. My brother lives in Westchester and he never drives into the city.

Have fun, everyone there!

j_alexandra

Sorry to hear that that happened to you, JA! Not being familiar with NYC at all when we went to the Manhattan in the past, the GPS unit in the rental car got us right to the Marriott in Brooklyn. The GPS also helped us when we went around the city to see the sights, on one of the days that we did not take the subway.
/morehijack/My GPS was programmed by gremlins. I get more lost with it than without. I can successfully navigate my way across the country (and have done so many, many times) without the damn thing. What do I need it for? Feh! Definitely belongs in the category of New Improved Things I Don't Approve Of.
/endmorehijack/

Thinking about going back in Saturday morning to watch CCM in her heats. (Will at least know WHERE to TURN.) Brooklyn. Voluntarily. Twice in one week. Sheesh. Only a friend dancing at a ballroom comp could get me to do this -- and I may still back out.

Dance Ads