Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing and Charm School

I saw it. I liked it. It's a sort of bittersweet love story set mostly in a dance class. But don't go see it expecting great dancing! The only dancing is in a beginner class, so you mostly see a lot of awkward box steps!

No, but you do get to see two dancers talk about how lovely it is to waltz while dancing to foxtrot and Mary Steenburgen demonstrate east coast swing while calling it lindy. The writers or producers didn't seem to know a whole lot about dance!

anp73ga31

Yes, dance-wise it wasn't all that great. But the fact that it was based around ballroom dancing and how wonderful it is to get you thru hard times and how you get joy out of it, etc...that more than made up for it! Lol! One of my good friends hated it, I guess because it kind of had an old timey movie feel about it and it wasnt exciting enough...I dont know why, really. I thought it was a feel good movie with a satisfying ending. :)

No matter how many times I watch it, I'm still not going to like it lol. It was much to dark for me, and I'm staying with that theory lol! ;)

Not a movie with great dancing but a great movie with dancing as the central theme which allows people to connect with one another and find their way throught the emotional issues that they face in their lives. As a psychotherapist and a dance teacher, i loved the combination of both themes in the movie and the way they came together at the end.

No, but you do get to see two dancers talk about how lovely it is to waltz while dancing to foxtrot and Mary Steenburgen demonstrate east coast swing while calling it lindy. The writers or producers didn't seem to know a whole lot about dance!
I wouldn't place too much blame on the writers for this one. And even the producers could be excused somewhat for not being in the editing room when the film was cut and pasted together. I would probably assign a good portion of the blame for this to JoAnn Jansen as the choreographer. Did she not listen to the line that Ernie Hudson was saying? Was she not paying attention to the scene where Mary was dancing the swing? She was obviously on the set during these two scenes as she was one of the dancers in the class. Then again, maybe she did say something and the filmmakers just blew her off. Kind of hard to say, but I don't think the writers had anything to do with these mistakes.

MacMoto

I saw this movie last year when it came to the Edinburgh Film Festival -- the director and the lead actor were there to do a question and answer session.

I like it -- it was re fresh ing to have a dance movie that didn't involve any comp -- it was just a story of a man who stumbled upon dance and was touched by its magic and healing power. I could relate to that.

EDIT: So r-e-f-r-e-s-h is a bad word now? Hmmm :?

Dance Ads