Marvel's Agent Carter

Steve Pastor

Staff member
One of the reasons I started watching the show last year was that it is set in the 1940s. The music, the clothes, the cars...
This season the show has touched on some interesting aspects of Los Angeles in the plot line current setting of 1947.

I'm posting mostly because the writers had one of the characters mention East Coast Swing and Collegiate Shag. It's unlikely that anyone used the term East Coast Swing that early; "Smooth Swing," jitterbugging, or "New Yorker," Lindy or Lindy Hop, yeah. They missed a chance to mention Balboa, too, rather than collegiate shag.

One scene takes place in the Dunbar Hotel on Central Avenue. A singer there looks a whole lot like she is representing Billie Holiday.
Decent article on the hotel here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar_Hotel
The writers also touch on other aspects of the time, and that I'll leave to anyone who might be interested discover themselves.

Last year, in a scene set in New York. There was a bit of dancing. (considering the swanky setting... )
I found this clip on YouTube.

DanceMentor

Administrator
Yes, that would be funny if they said East Coast Swing for that year. I find it rather unlikely too. Maybe they can make amends to us by having some more dance scenes!

tangotime

One of the reasons I started watching the show last year was that it is set in the 1940s. The music, the clothes, the cars...
This season the show has touched on some interesting aspects of Los Angeles in the plot line current setting of 1947.

I'm posting mostly because the writers had one of the characters mention East Coast Swing and Collegiate Shag. It's unlikely that anyone used the term East Coast Swing that early; "Smooth Swing," jitterbugging, or "New Yorker," Lindy or Lindy Hop, yeah. They missed a chance to mention Balboa, too, rather than collegiate shag.

One scene takes place in the Dunbar Hotel on Central Avenue. A singer there looks a whole lot like she is representing Billie Holiday.
Decent article on the hotel here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar_Hotel
The writers also touch on other aspects of the time, and that I'll leave to anyone who might be interested discover themselves.

Last year, in a scene set in New York. There was a bit of dancing. (considering the swanky setting... )
I found this clip on YouTube.

I was hesitant to watch, after following the original version, but, glad I did.. luvved all the references to the era..

Dance Ads