Michael Kielbasa & Jennifer Deluca - WCS

In a strictly swing you choose your partner, but not the song. Similar to Jack and Jills it is a contest meant to test your social dance ability!
Thanks. Sounds like most ballroom events (the competitor knows who the partner will be and what the dance will be, but not exactly what the music will be).

In WCS competitions, is there another type of event in which the competitors choose their music (something akin, perhaps, to solo exhibitions at some ballroom events)?

Yes. We have routine divisions. As the video at the begining of this thread nicely demonstrates. There are two main routine divisions, Classic and Showcase (without and with lifts, respectively). Routines used to be mainly for professional dancers, and they are still the divisions that winning in seem to cary the most clout (specially at big events like open and grand nationals).
However recently, routines are getting more and more common at more levels of dancing. often an event will have two routine divisions (A and B, pro non-pro, etc.) or even split into novice int. adv. routines. There are pro-am routines, sophisticated (over 35) routines, and masters routines.
I have (or will soon) a pro-am routine. (Which I get to do for the first time at summer hummer in boston! *yipeee*)

Thanks. Sounds like most ballroom events (the competitor knows who the partner will be and what the dance will be, but not exactly what the music will be).
Yes and no. In the specific format, perhaps, but unless I am mistaken most ballroom competitors dont use lead follow, they have routines, correct? In WCS it is against the rules to have anything pre-choreographed in JnJ or strictly. You get DQ'ed for stuff that looks like choreo. Plus, the point of WCS is to accent the music, and people change - - interrupt - - etc. moves to fit specific parts of music, whether it be 1s and phrases, or accents etc. Music played for WCS is very variable. A routine choreographed to one song wouldnt fit another (well, it'd hit 1s, but not phrases, as not all WCS music is phrased the same).

In WCS it is against the rules to have anything pre-choreographed in JnJ or strictly. You get DQ'ed for stuff that looks like choreo. Plus, the point of WCS is to accent the music, and people change - - interrupt - - etc. moves to fit specific parts of music, whether it be 1s and phrases, or accents etc.
Very interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

Song - Shake/Din Da Da

Howdy,

The Song is Shake by the Ying Yang Twins!!!

Some call it Din Da Da, however the version they dance to has had the lyrics played with & the version below has not. I'm not sure I'd call what they dance to a 'mix' however it wouldn't be the first time artists have recorded a version for professional dancers.

You can listen to it here: musicremedy.com/y/Ying_Yang_Twins/videos/Shake-3762.html

There are various mixes...

Speaking of songs...I'd love to receive any & all WCS songs that you like to dance/practice to including from this to Son of a Preacher Man as I am always trying to expand my library.

Thanks,
opossum
WCS is alive in Portland, Or

I haven't been able to see them live together yet. I love their Din Din Da routine, amazing! However, their recent "When I come back around" routine is alright. They're great dancers, but it's not a very exciting routine, partly because of the song in my opinion. I have danced with Michael though, and I agree he's absolutely smooth. Definitely my favorite dancer to dance with!

Dance Ads