Michigan Competition and Workshop

Finalized Judges List

Hi Everyone, the early registration deadline for the Univ. of Michigan dancesport comp is about 2 weeks away so register soon at
www.UofMballroom.com :>

We have assembled a strong panel of judges and look forward to having a terrific comp.

Ron Bennett (MD)
Mark Brock (MI)
Gregory Day (IL)
Andrei Gavriline (NJ)
Paul Holmes (NY)
Elena Kryuchkova (NJ)
Steve McFerran (MI)
Susan McFerran (MI)
Bill Sparks (OH)

wyllo

What is your definition of "newcomer" for this competition? I couldn't find it on the website and we have some team members asking if they qualify. Thanks!

So, for those who went, how did it go?
If I remember correctly, Caityrosey placed fourth in her smooth event! Congrats! Wyllo placed first in Gold Standard. She and her DH danced beautifully. Unfortunately, we didn't see Caityrosey's or Wyllo's open events because the evening got too late for us.

...And by the way, from a spectator's perspective, we thought the competition was extremely well run. We've only been to one other collegiate comp, and it's organizers could learn much from the UofM team. Of course, it helped that UofM had a much larger venue to work with, but that doesn't account for all the ways the UofM comp seemed superior.

It's also a credit to the UofM team that every representative we met while there seemed very friendly and welcoming ... especially Jason, who seemed particularly pleased to greet us Friday evening (and by the way, that man can dance too!).

Thanks IJ, this means a lot to us. We spent a lot of time planning the event and am glad it paid off. We still have many things we need to improve on and hopefully it will be even better next year. I hope you enjoyed the Andrei and Elena's show!

PS I have relayed your praises about Jason and I am sure he will be glad to hear that :>

My main suggestion: Stick more closely to your planned schedule, or at least make fewer last-minute changes. After all, we use that schedule to plan our costume changes and warm up time strategically. If you dance in multiple divisions with multiple partners, then you need a set schedule to plan around. Last minute changes can make things difficult for the competitiors.

Andrei and Elena's show was lovely.

We still have many things we need to improve on and hopefully it will be even better next year. I hope you enjoyed the Andrei and Elena's show!
Definately enjoyed Andrei and Elena's show. What creative coreography! I can think of only two things that would have made it even better:

1.) The theatrical lighting was a good idea that was under-executed. You could have used twice as many lights, if not more, because parts of the floor (and therefore, the dancers' cool costumes) were still pretty dark.

2.) Given the amount of time the couple required for costume changes, there was little reason that the next music track could not have been cued up and ready. Yet, if I recall correctly, each dance began with a delayed music start and/or restart. I assume the music was on CD. Get the operator a pair of headphone and teach him/her how to use the pause button!

My main suggestion: Stick more closely to your planned schedule, or at least make fewer last-minute changes. After all, we use that schedule to plan our costume changes and warm up time strategically. If you dance in multiple divisions with multiple partners, then you need a set schedule to plan around. Last minute changes can make things difficult for the competitiors.

Andrei and Elena's show was lovely.
Yes the scheduling was going to be a big problem for us. We have more than twice the number of competitors this year compared to last and we were trying hard to run it in the same amount of time...if the competition continues to grow, we may need to have a 2 day competition next year

Definately enjoyed Andrei and Elena's show. What creative coreography! I can think of only two things that would have made it even better:

1.) The theatrical lighting was a good idea that was under-executed. You could have used twice as many lights, if not more, because parts of the floor (and therefore, the dancers' cool costumes) were still pretty dark.

2.) Given the amount of time the couple required for costume changes, there was little reason that the next music track could not have been cued up and ready. Yet, if I recall correctly, each dance began with a delayed music start and/or restart. I assume the music was on CD. Get the operator a pair of headphone and teach him/her how to use the pause button!
Hi IJ, yes, I totally agree with the lighting...we needed more light and spotlights.

With regards to 2, we played the music off of a laptap and we had the music all cued up when the couple was changing....but because the costume change took long, the cd drive stopped spinning and when it was time to start the music again, there was a lag as the CD drive started to spin again. We are going to change this next year.

wyllo

Yeah, the newcomer and bronze heats were massive! Overall, I thought this was a very nice competition -- the people were friendly, the space was excellent and there were some nice touches that you don't often get at collegiate competitions:

- Large warm up floor that was adjacent to the competition floor so you could hear announcements and see what was going on.
- Plenty of seats for specatators, including risers for the back rows.
- The lighting was a nice touch and made the evening session feel more professional.

Yes, there were some scheduling problems. Things did seem to get a little confused toward the end -- I imagine you all were starting to run a little low on energy at that point! It didn't affect me personally, but I know it was very frustrating for some of our team members who needed to know which style was first for costume changes in the novice categories.

Any chance the judges' marks will be posted online?

The warm up floor adjacent was nice to have. At many comps one ends up warming up in the hallway, which the facilities people don't always like. :)

Since you have such a nice big space and since bathroom faciliites are so limited at the sports center, it would be a good idea to provide a curtained changing area in the back of the main room near the team tables or in another room.

Just curious. LW and noticed that International style seems to be more popular among the college crowd than is American style (particularly standards vs. smooth). Is this true and if so why?

Yes, it does appear that international is more popular than american in collegiate comps. Personally, I think it's because the coaches tend to focus on the international styles. Not a very good answer but that's what I think.

Dance Ads