Mixing country with formal ballroom

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Here's a great page with bpms and songs.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/wil/2step.htm

"Some of the slowest beats are for pure beginners. The fun doesn't start until you get into the 160-185 BPM range. Anything above 185 beats is for the more accomplished dancer. If your music is too slow, it's hard to get the momentum you need for those snappy turns. The size of the dance floor, and how crowded it is, may determine how fast the music should be. Few people can dance a decent Two-step above 200 BPM."

I'd love to hear your Boot Scoot!
I'll check with the adims and see if anything is possible.
You still haven't told us where you are.
Do people do the line dance, or what?
I'm in Southwest Ohio. The only line dancing I've seen is when we've played inside dance studios, and there the line dancing is done to salsa.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
So, who gets to play the "8 to the bar"? piano solo in your arrangement of Boot Scoot?
When we are doing the line dance I think I'm the only one who uses it to do quick steps with those pauses in there just like the solo. (It seems so obvious to me!)

And what is it exactly that is being played? I have sort of been able to pick something out on my keyboard (I can't find a transpription of the solo anywhere.), but am not sure I'm getting it right.

P.S. Lived a couple of years in Hebron, just east of Columbus and south of Newark. You wouldn't happen to have heard of Jack, Randy, or Rick Purcell from Pittsburgh by chance?

So, who gets to play the "8 to the bar"? piano solo in your arrangement of Boot Scoot?
When we are doing the line dance I think I'm the only one who uses it to do quick steps with those pauses in there just like the solo. (It seems so obvious to me!)
The piano player's left hand. I wrote the bass part to line up with the 'on the beat' notes, and it seems to work out well.

And what is it exactly that is being played? I have sort of been able to pick something out on my keyboard (I can't find a transpription of the solo anywhere.), but am not sure I'm getting it right.
Most of the time I let the piano player just improvise, but this time I found a good transcription at http://country.mididb.com/brooksdunn/

P.S. Lived a couple of years in Hebron, just east of Columbus and south of Newark. You wouldn't happen to have heard of Jack, Randy, or Rick Purcell from Pittsburgh by chance?
Sorry no. I'm not near Columbus or Hebron. Are you in any bands right now? If so, what kind?

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Ha, Ha!
Well, I finally talked two guys in the office into bringing in their guitars, and we play for a while at lunch time once a week.
We are all very much beginners.
But, hey, after working on "Blue Suede Shoes" for about a year, I can pretty much play the whole thing without messing up too much.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about music, so keyboard seems the way to go right now.

Looks like I need Apple's pro version of QuickTime, and I think when I download the midi, and load it into my pretty new to me Yamaha Portable Grand, I'll be able to see the notes???
This is all very new to me. And it's all in addition to all the other stuff you have to learn about the music itself, and developing the motor skills, etc.
(The digital camera I bought for a trip to Africa a few years ago was not exactly easy to learn to use, either, beyond point and shoot.)

Do you happen to have a web page for your band?
(Never mind. I've been checking out your previous posts, etc.)

I think when I download the midi, and load it into my pretty new to me Yamaha Portable Grand, I'll be able to see the notes???
Maybe. But maybe not in a useful way. A midi file can be a literal translation of a score, but often isn't, so transcribing it back into a score can make a more or less illegible mess. Transcriptions engines may have gotten smarter since I tried it with Finale about 10 years ago, but I would guess it will still often be disappointing. (used to be able to try it in the demo version, probably still can)

Though much like automated dis-assembly of a computer program, if you know where to look, it might be able to answer a specific question for you that you have been unable to figure out by ear.

Maybe. But maybe not in a useful way. A midi file can be a literal translation of a score, but often isn't, so transcribing it back into a score can make a more or less illegible mess. Transcriptions engines may have gotten smarter since I tried it with Finale about 10 years ago, but I would guess it will still often be disappointing. (used to be able to try it in the demo version, probably still can) Though much like automated dis-assembly of a computer program, if you know where to look, it might be able to answer a specific question for you that you have been unable to figure out by ear.
It depends. If the MIDI was performed in real time, the notes sort of blur together messily with a bunch of strange time staffs. But if the music was typed in (using a program like Finale), alot of MIDIs translate cleanly when converted back to sheet music.

Looks like I need Apple's pro version of QuickTime, and I think when I download the midi, and load it into my pretty new to me Yamaha Portable Grand, I'll be able to see the notes???
You should be able to hear MIDI files on a number of players, including RealPlayer and Microsoft Media Player. Oddly, a number of controls that work for Wave and MP3 files don't work for MIDI, such as equalizers and visual wave displays.

Do you happen to have a web page for your band?
So glad you asked. http://myspace.com/stardust_orchestra

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Having heard, and danced to that piano solo at least hundreds of times, I know what it sounds like. I'm just not sure my picking it out by ear skills have been up to the task.
The solo in the file at the link you pointed me to sounds right to me.
I'd just feel more confident if I had a transcription.
I have the sheet music in two different keys, and they both say simply "piano solo ends".
Guess I get to be creative.

A performed solo is likely to transcribe uncleanly, but if you have an actual midi file (not a .wav or an mp3 or something) it's easy enough to download the demo version of finale and see what you get. 10 years ago the key was to float the quantization at a 16th note (or maybe whatever minimum note value you expect is), but who knows what the engine is like today.

My husband choreographed a fun Viennese Waltz to Brad Paisley's "I'm Still a Guy" - our first performance together and also my first dance performance ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxz6TGsjSE

Lovely performance! You look so sweet together. Thanks for sharing.

"Walk your sissy dog, hold your purse at the mall" :uplaugh:

Hope you used stunt doubles for the dog and purse... ;)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I love dancing to that song, especially at the end where they do the little "music box"/sissy sounding/nursery rhyme thing. The women who dance with me expect me to react to changes in the music like that. The ones who don't often seem baffled until I tell them to listen to the music.

Thanks! :D

The dog (Molly, a free gift from a Victoria Secret promotion) landed safely in a little girl's lap. The purse just ended up on the floor somewhere.

Lovely performance! You look so sweet together. Thanks for sharing.

"Walk your sissy dog, hold your purse at the mall" :uplaugh:

Hope you used stunt doubles for the dog and purse... ;)

I adore that song, and it was fun getting to interpret some of it during the dance. I don't think anyone expected that kind of a Viennese Waltz. :)

I love dancing to that song, especially at the end where they do the little "music box"/sissy sounding/nursery rhyme thing. The women who dance with me expect me to react to changes in the music like that. The ones who don't often seem baffled until I tell them to listen to the music.

kayak

I'm a little worried about his guy qualifications? That little dog didn't fly very far :) Much better on the purse! Looks like you two had fun.

The funnest part is you could totally come to our CW bar and dance those same moves and fit right in.

Dance Ads