Modern Samba Songs

Seems like it's been season of Samba in Pop music lately.
Shape of You - Ed Sheeran
Cheap Thrills - Sia
as already mentioned. Additionally
RockABye - Clean Bandit
Rain - The Script
Ni Tu Ni Yo - Jennifer Lopez
Maggie found
STASH, "Blackjack Cabana"
It's a slow one but Despacito - Remix Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee, Justin Bieber is a Samba (among a few other dances that work)

You can probably find a few others scrolling back through Best New Songs.

For a deep dive head over to

"No Vacancy" by OneRepublic
"Bailando" by Enrique Eglacias... Preferably the Spanish version

I'll use this as a placeholder until I get home tomorrow. I have a massive playlist for samba on my laptop.

One of my former teachers has said that this isn't a samba. But it sure sounds like a (slow) samba to me!

The instrumentation is not "samba ". The old story of IF it's in 2/4 or 4/4, I can dance most of the dances to that . Well, maybe ya can but that don't make it right.

Ask yourself this question. HOW did dance styles develop ? and you already know the answer.. thru specific type/styles of music . "Dance " is supposed to define a style, and that is not to say, that for a specific purpose ( Routines etc )which is also for me not right , then some licence is more acceptable.

There is an endless wealth of songs to be found in any of the social dance strata . I have numerous Samba's for e.g. that I would guarantee have never been heard in the BR genre ( unless I play them ! ), but may not meet the criteria for many.

"Mama Do The Hump" by Rizzle Kicks
"Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira (eh, why not? ;))
"Wherever, Whenever" by Shakira (I like her music! :cool:)
"Swalla" by Jason Derulo (make sure it's the clean version)
"Sorry" by Justin Bieber (I promise it's actually good)
"Hey Mama" by the Black Eyed Peas (fast, but really good)
"Can't Stop Dancing" by Becky G
"Light It Up" by Major Lazer
"Straight to Memphis" by Club des Belugas (borderline overdone, but still great)

I probably have more depending on how far I can go back...

I did a nice lazy samba to 'The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars. Our costumes consisted of pajamas.:cool:

There are also some country songs that you could dance a nice samba too. A recent one is "Something I'm Good At" by Brett Eldredge.

Dance Ads