more tango nuevo

Me

Welcome to the DF opendoor!

I LOVE your avatar. :) Where did you find that hilarious picture? It reminds me so much of Buster Keaton.

opendoor

Re: Keaton

... Where did you find that hilarious picture? It reminds me so much of Buster Keaton.
Hi Me,

you are right, that is Buster Keaton, and thats the story: I´m just dancing for a short time (2 years) and I am an autodidact. That means, I am my own teacher. About Christmas I saw a couple dancing the carpa and I knew that it would be my next lesson. So I browsed the web to get the steps and the vids. And somehow, with the keywords carpa, calesita e.g. I came across that picture of Keaton. The day over I tried out the steps with socks on the floor alone and in the evening with shoes in a milonga...

Greetings from Hamburg
Andreas

Me

Oh my goodness! It is the great stone face himself? I would love to have that image! Can you remember where you found it? If so, would you mind sending me the link?

Thank you for the reply. :) It is great to meet you.

bordertangoman

Regarding the deadpan expression--I see that on the vast majority of dancers, regardless of style. I know I'm the same way. It's not lack of emotion, necessarily, just concentration on anything and everything other than what my face is doing. If I wanted to think about facial expressions and emoting for other people, I'd be interested in ballroom. Which I'm not. (In fact, I hate the ballroom emoting.)

I don't see how it's a big deal, though, that they look like they're not enjoying it. I'm sure they probably are enjoying themselves--else, why would they spend enough.

REreading this thread I am reminded of "Strictly Ballroom"
and the hairspray smiles that Ballroom dancers have to have!

opendoor

... It is great to meet you...
. . . and I am disappointing you: everthing lost, the copy, the link. Searched the web over, last night, but I could not find the image again. I remember it was on a tango page concerning "calesita" or "carpa" or "steps". I deleted the file after writing opendoor to it with photoshop - great mistake ! And the avatar is to small to get the writing off.

So sorry, Me !

Andreas

Me

. . . everthing lost, the copy, the link. Searched the web over, last night, but I could not find the image again. I remember it was on a tango page concerning "calesita" or "carpa" or "steps".

Andreas
Aw, well thank you for trying! I will search for it... Maybe one day I will find it. :)

I just absolutely love Buster Keaton. Always have! I have videos of his dancing but don't have one of a tango situation. Maybe he falls into a carpa in one of them as a joke... I will go look!

Ampster

Peaches

Beautiful!

So much connection. And, despite it being nuevo with the reputation that nuevo has, I could see the vast majority of that being danced socially.

Thank you.

opendoor

.. this looks a bit nuevo to me
It looks very nuevo to me ..
I join your applause. But, I would use different terms. Nuevo was danced 30 years ago. This couple is dancing actually a modern way of Salón Style: v-frame, flowing, elegant, on own axis but with a certain touch of centrifugal energy. Whereas the footwork and the room management reminds me of NeoTango. Alltogether contemporary dancing.

Ampster

I join your applause. But, I would use different terms. Nuevo was danced 30 years ago. This couple is dancing actually a modern way of Salón Style: v-frame, flowing, elegant, on own axis but with a certain touch of centrifugal energy. Whereas the footwork and the room management reminds me of NeoTango. Alltogether contemporary dancing.
Call it what you want. In our part of the world, if its not viejo, its nuevo.

We don't feel the need to over-categorize, nor over-analyze.

opendoor

Hi Ampster,
there is much more than black and white! And its only fun to analyze and to figure out all the influences and styles. And it makes me wonder, because you should know, my heroes are Arquimbau, Tete and Gavito:

hence, when I started, Nuevo meant "old-fashioned" and viejo "modern", if you know what I mean.

Peace :neutral:

Okay, I can't access reel from this computer so will view from home office computer and report back with verdict as to whether "is it live or is it Memorex".

To the peeps across the pond: Happy Independence Day:D

tango nuevo

I don,t like call it Tango Nuevo because for me, Tango it,s just one, i prefer to call it a Evolution of tango, a diferent aproach.

But the video it,s not a good example,
for a example i prefer this one:
(hyperlinks not allowed for new members, contact a Moderator or Admin if you have questions. Larinda)

Dance Ads