Most Controversial Dance Fads

According to BBC, the most controversial dance fads include twerking, raving, mosh dancing, the Lambada, the waltz, the twist and the Charleston. For me, the most controversial is the twist because I think it is stupid. I don't like the way it looks and I think it is probably not very good on the knees either. And I think twerking is just another name for Dirty Dancing and it really is nothing new.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Mmm, well, Arthur Murray did a series of newspaper articles (I count 13) on How to Do the Charleston in 1926.
Although Murray was called into court over too loud music in his studios once in NYC, I'd say he wasn't one to stir the pot very much.

Maybe it was more "controversial" in Britain?

tangotime

Mmm, well, Arthur Murray did a series of newspaper articles (I count 13) on How to Do the Charleston in 1926.
Although Murray was called into court over too loud music in his studios once in NYC, I'd say he wasn't one to stir the pot very much.

Maybe it was more "controversial" in Britain?
From all accounts, it was very popular, and, in matter of fact, Len Scrivener ( 3 times British Champ. ) was of the 30/40s era , and always did a Charleston for his encore .

Less enjoyable, was the Twist era. I was living in a NYC hotel across from the Peppermint Lounge ( opposite the hotel ), and to add to that, I lost count of how many came in to the studio (FA ) for a free half hour lesson . As I recall, it lasted just a few weeks..

Dance Ads