Movies NOT to watch

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well we have a thread where we share titles of movies that we think everyone should watch...
So hows about titles of movies that one should NOT waste their dime or their time on.

I'll start:

Exit Humanity
Suing the Devil

blech to both of them

JudeMorrigan

This is an obvious one, I'm still bitter about the fact that I paid money to see Wing Commander in the theater. They're "so bad it's good" and then there's "so bad it's bad". That movie definitely fell into the latter category.

Aura

Eat, Pray, Love (That movie had the pace of molasses, and watching food makes me hungry.)

Julie and Julia
(See above)

Clash of the Titans (The remake, not the original.)

That's all for now, but I'll chime in as more comes to me.

samina

Eat, Pray, Love (That movie had the pace of molasses, and watching food makes me hungry.)
i would add that the food scenes were inexplicably passionless and uninspiring -- inexcusable considering the title. IMO the only redeeming value to the film comes towards the very end in the brazilian love interest...but not worth it to me to slog through just to get to him.

Julie and Julia
i really enjoyed the Julia scenes, and the movie is IMO worth watching and re-watching for those...but find myself not wanting to re-watch because of the whiny, pathetic Julie character, alas.

she did put out a good blog, though! :)

samina

i have an unopened Blu Ray version of Battle: Los Angeles that remains in my possession (mistakenly purchased from Borders when they were going out of business)...which remains in my possession because i hesitate to inflict said movie on anyone.

Aura

The Avengers
I personally am a superhero fan, so I loved this movie.

The Immortals
I will agree with this one as the movie industry seems to be going overboard with these mythological movies. If you want mythology, my best suggestion is to read it.

I just saw a commercial for Tyler Perry's new movie. Religion aside, I used to find his movies funny, but now the motif of monotonous melodrama is irking me (I appreciate letting the public know about domestic injustices, but it doesn't have to be in every movie). I would not suggest seeing them.

JudeMorrigan

I will agree with this one as the movie industry seems to be going overboard with these mythological movies. If you want mythology, my best suggestion is to read it.
A movie that was based on actual mythology might be kind of neat. I can't think of the last time Hollywood actually put out one of those though.

Peaches

I know I'm in the minority on it, and I love brainless things blow up movies, and I wasn't expecting much...and still left feeling like I would never get that time back. To add insult to injury, it was too loud so I couldn't even be productive and sleep during it.

Purr

I liked The Avengers, as I've liked other in this series, i.e. Iron Man, Iron Man II, Captain America, and Thor. I think the casting for the main roles has been terrific - Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, and Chris Helmsworth as Thor. Just about anything with Robert Downey Jr. is worth watching. Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk was brilliant! I really enjoyed some of the other actors in supporting roles, including Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. I can't wait to see the character of Loki in future movies, as he was deliciously evil in The Avengers.

Recent movies in the big budget action genre, that I haven't liked as well include Battleship and Battle: Los Angeles. I also wasn't a fan of War of The Worlds, the 2005 movie starring Tom Cruise.

Probably one of the worst movies I remember sitting through was Assasination Tango, a 2002 crime movie starring Robert Duvall. Another bad movie was Ghost Riders, the 2007 movie starring Nicholas Cage.

Purr

I liked The Avengers, as I've liked other in this series, i.e. Iron Man, Iron Man II, Captain America, and Thor. I think the casting for the main roles has been terrific - Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, and Chris Helmsworth as Thor. Just about anything with Robert Downey Jr. is worth watching. Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk was brilliant! I really enjoyed some of the other actors in supporting roles, including Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. I can't wait to see the character of Loki in future movies, as he was deliciously evil in The Avengers.

Recent movies in the big budget action genre, that I haven't liked as well include Battleship and Battle: Los Angeles. I also wasn't a fan of War of The Worlds, the 2005 movie starring Tom Cruise.

Probably one of the worst movies I remember sitting through was Assasination Tango, a 2002 crime movie starring Robert Duvall. Another bad movie was Ghost Riders, the 2007 movie starring Nicholas Cage.

I'll also add Beastly to the list of bad movies. It's from 2011, and had Mary Kate Olsen in a supporting role.

DWise1

Recent movies in the big budget action genre, that I haven't liked as well include Battleship and Battle: Los Angeles.
I haven't seen Battleship and will not until it reaches the movie channels.

I have seen Battle: Los Angeles (not to be confused with the historical Air Battle of Los Angeles, 24-25 Feb 1942, well, though comically, handled by Steven Spielberg in his 1941). It is an almost purely military movie, so I would not expect too much civilian receptiveness, but as retired military it intrigues me in how we would handle such a challenge.

Assasination Tango is a complex movie with surprisingly complex characters, especially Robert Duvall's. On the surface, he's a common thug. But there's a lot of depth beneath that surface. Movie-wise, the lead actress was Duvall's wife at the time, an actress from Argentina. In the 1980's, he had been drawn into Argentine Tango through a stage show that was circulating at that time. He was the one who introduced his Argentine wife to Argentine Tango. For me, the funniest scene in the movie was the lesson with the lead female character's sister in the AT lesson where she was doing ganchos on Duvall's leg: "Me gusta. (higher on his leg) Me gusta. (higher on his leg) ¡Cuidado!".

And, no, I haven't watched any of the Ghost Rider movies, nor have any desire to.

And The Avengers will have to wait until it comes out on DVD (my friend is not of that persuasion), though I did like how they handled Captain America.

Dance Ads