Nite Club Two Step Tutorial - sort of

Steve Pastor

Staff member
So there's this nice young gal where I dance, and she kept telling me that she couldn't turn to her left (my right) when I would lead her that way.
Well, of course she SHOULD be able to do it because practically everyone else I dance with does it. She was pretty adamant, though, and it took a while to work through it.
(The thing you have to get is that you have to come back - 180 degrees - in front of your partner, which is something you just have to get used to doing.)
I was willing to stick with her on this because she's been pretty pleasant and seems down to earth. Depending on the person, though, I can react quite differently.

Anyone care to comment on how you handle similar situations?

kayak

Are you talking about the military turn in the basic, the chaine' exiting a cross-body lead or an open break turn to your right? Turning left with the first would be a little out of the norm and I would think success would depend upon a solidly led shoulder block.

Gorme

I would have started with the one that goes 90 degrees first to make sure that she could get the action down. Once she could do that, then can try for the 180 degree version.

kayak

???

This was more of a philisophical question than a technique question.
If I am leading a lady to make a left turn where a right normally would be, a blocking motion with my free hand makes a clear indication that we are stopping and going back the other direction.

My 82 year old client

came in my shop today. She had just finished her line dancing class and is going out on a blind date tonight and is going to introduce him to the wonderful world of two step. Did my heart good!:D

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Huh.
Going through old Murray texts.

slow quickquick
slow quickquick

NOTE: The quick steps can be taken back-forward, forward-back, or back-together. Any of these ways are correct.

Sounds like Nite Club Two Step to me.

And guess what? This is the Single Lindy. (Murray 1954)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
[NOTE: some country tunes work well with nightclub two step. However, it is interesting that many country tunes have accented quick steps on the 2& and also on the 4&. In these tunes, beat 1 is a slow! So, when dancing to this music, it makes sense to start with the slow on beat 1. The key, here, is to listen to the music and match your quick steps with the quick drum beats in the music. When possible, start dancing at the beginning of the musical phrase. http://www.lovemusiclovedance.com/niteclub.htm

Once you get going, it works out the same. And as far as I can tell, as long as you're "with the music," you're doin' ok.

Dance Ads