No awards for single dance rounds..good idea or bad?

debmc

I've attended two pro-am competitions this year that did not have awards for the single dance rounds, instead you could go to a desk and get a printed sheet of how you placed. Both comps still had awards for scholarship rounds. So what do you think.. would you like to still see awards for the single dance rounds? The comps that did not have them were big ones, so I assume they eliminated them for time factors.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I would want to have the results read aloud in the ballroom so that I didn't have to go somewhere to find out how it was marked, but would be perfectly happy if nothing was given out for them, beyond perhaps, dance dollar credits.,..

They did this at Millennium. They also projected them from a computer onto a large screen on the wall. The results from each heat would slowly scroll by, albeit an hour later. I did go get a printed list, which was nice to have for my first set. For my second set, I didn't bother looking at the screen or getting a printed list. I suppose I could look on the comp website for those results. As of right now, I have no idea how I placed.

Everyone from our studio quite liked not having to sit through the single dance award ceremonies. I sat with a couple of non competitors who said that they also appreciated it - at comps where they do have single dance award ceremonies, many spectators (and even some novice competitors) have no idea who placed where or for what. They run through them so quickly, that it is all a blur!

I was at Millennium and I liked it. I remember they did this at Emerald on a Rhythm day.

From a pro perspective, which is not relevant for me, the award time gives a pro who has a gazillion of heat per day some rest time. My pro certainly appreciated having the award time every couple of hours so he could rest for 15 min or so. He didn't need it this year's Millennium but it was a great relief for him last year.

3wishes

hmmm, when I placed in standard scholarship at Embassy Ball - my pro had me waiting with the other couples. Only to be told that there would be no picture taken of the scholarship final placements due to running late. Several seemed irritated more by that then the lack of announcements.
I've also been at Emerald where no announcements for single entry placements were made due to time factors. Some table-mates appreciated this (more experienced competitors), others voiced (why bother? part of the thrill is having your name announced). Seems to be a mixed bag.

TinyDancer109

i am sure there are students who like the competitive edge it gives to them strategically... if they win a lot then it cant hurt for the judges to hear the student's name called several times. probably can't hurt for other competitors to hear as well.

meh, i dont need the public recognition, but as others have said, it does provide a nice break in the schedule.... on the days that my pro dances with many other students right up until my heats, it gives him a chance to go through our routines.

debmc

I like hearing the single dance awards. It gives me more immediate feedback on how I am dancing and how others in my category are dancing before the scholarship rounds. It also is a nice little "reward" when one is dancing well to hear how one is placing.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have been disappointed at both Emerald and Millennium by the lack of awards announcements.

Sometimes my students are there to "do their best" as they are learning new routines or moved up a level... BUT sometimes they are really there "to win". And without awards it seems kinds more like a Friday Night Social Party with some competitive showcases thrown in for other students enjoyment. It seems much harder to guage your performance.

I LIKE standing up there and hearing my students get called out beating Shalenes students.
I LIKE the good natured joking between my boys and her boys as they trade wins back and forth.
I LIKE seeing the faces of the other guys as they realize they took dances from my guys.
I LIKE it when my student sucked in a heat and he gets called out for something less than 1st, and I poke him and say "well there ya go, they were watching after all!"

I understand the logistics of it. I do. But it takes away from the experience emotionally. Without the awards it all seems rather anti-climactic, and without resolution.

jump'n'jive

I have been disappointed at both Emerald and Millennium by the lack of awards announcements.

Sometimes my students are there to "do their best" as they are learning new routines or moved up a level... BUT sometimes they are really there "to win". And without awards it seems kinds more like a Friday Night Social Party with some competitive showcases thrown in for other students enjoyment. It seems much harder to guage your performance.

I LIKE standing up there and hearing my students get called out beating Shalenes students.
I LIKE the good natured joking between my boys and her boys as they trade wins back and forth.
I LIKE seeing the faces of the other guys as they realize they took dances from my guys.
I LIKE it when my student sucked in a heat and he gets called out for something less than 1st, and I poke him and say "well there ya go, they were watching after all!"

I understand the logistics of it. I do. But it takes away from the experience emotionally. Without the awards it all seems rather anti-climactic, and without resolution.
couldnt agree anymore with your larinda! plus i like having a break in between heats esp when you got a marathon going.

danceronice

I agree with Larinda and debmc--and it gives me some idea of how I'm doing (not that a scholarship panel in the evening is all the same judges, but it doesn't hurt to know.) Without it, it just REALLY turns into "this is just a cash cow, we don't actually care about any of this, if you really care how you placed you can go looking for the printouts or check on-line.)

Plus, yeah, without awards breaks there are pros who'd be dancing practically eight hours straight.

NURDRMS

I agree with most of the previous posters...these are dance COMPETITIONS, where public acknowledgement of placements are supposed to happen. It was anticlimatic at Emerald this year to have to go to a table to get a print-out of my placements.

latingal

I think it's nice to have the single dance awards announced.

But I really appreciate the awards announcements for the break it gives the pros that have many students competing. Catching a breather allows those who are putting out maximum effort to be at their best for their students.

3wishes

Even if I snicker at the "stickers" that are given out as awards, I agree that the announcement segments are a break for the teachers and also with Larinda in that my pro LOVES to stand with his students and hear how each did. Sharing their achievement or lack there of - with each of them. At Emerald, competing on Rhythm day - I witnessed more than just some pros - literally on the floor a larger percentage of the time and having to signal for a water bottle or a bathroom break. Possibly the organizers that experience time issues - can address the single entry awards. At City Lights Ball - the standard single entry awards were announced and given out - but located outside the ballroom in the foyer during the start of the rhythm session. Several of us could not be outside the ballroom to collect our awards and at some point in the afternoon - even John DePalma was at a table outside the ballroom helping to hand out single entry award vouchers, although that involved checking your name off of a list sheet while everyone lined up at the table and reported. There has to be a better way or a Plan B - when this happens. somehow.

TinyDancer109

And without awards it seems kinds more like a Friday Night Social Party with some competitive showcases thrown in for other students enjoyment. It seems much harder to guage your performance.

TinyDancer109 likes this.

....;)

Mengu

For prize, I couldn't care less if I got ribbons or medals or tokens or tickets or what have you. But I do like the experience of getting out there and waiting for my name to be called. I always assume/expect I will be in last place but hope for better. Then, I get pleasantly surprised by a fifth or fourth place. Checking my results on a piece of paper or online wouldn't quite be the same experience.

I also like watching other couples, and watching results to see how they do. I don't know their names most of the time, so it would be difficult for me to check and see how they did on a screen or paper, there's no way I'm going to remember their numbers.

If I have to pick between not having the single dance results announced and not having the multi-dance placing pictures taken due to lack of time, I choose the former. To me, my single dance placings are not that important, it's the multi-dance events and in particular the scholarships that matter.

danceronice

Except that pretty much screws anyone not in a multi-dance, especially people in events like Newcomer. (Not to mention, how long does it take to take a flippin' photo? If you have to cut something, do what I've seen a few comps do which is tell the couples lining up to save the recieving-line congratulations stuff for off the floor and just take the picture.)

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
*admittedly an outsider* What is the point of a competition without awards and award announcements?
an opportunity to see, on the fly whether what one has worked on will stick while performing ...but, beyond that, at many comps, particularly where there are many categories, the single dances may not be particularly hotly contested...tis enough to simply find out how one has done rather than having a fuss made of it...though I agree w/ doi's point that that sort of screws the folks who aren't dancing the multis...personally, dancing as much as I do, I feel rather silly standing up there for protracted periods of time collecting the little medallions...I do it out of respect for the judges, who occasionally have something to say to me...but I wouldn't miss it overly much...knowing that I danced well and that it translated into placing well is enough

ChaChaMama

It's funny this topic should come up.

Very different kind of competition, but fwiw...my child just had her first ever swim meet, and they do not do ribbons at the meet. Results are online by that night. The ribbons are put into envelopes, by last name, and handed out at practice on Monday or Tuesday. (And no, we don't know who won until we get the online results, because there are several heats of each event, e.g., six heats of girls 8-and-under freestyle, etc.)

I think it has the effect of putting more emphasis on the activity itself and doing your best and less on who beat whom. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your perspective.

If comps desperately need to save time, and are cutting awards solely for that reason, one other option would be to offer fewer sub-categories....

Dance Ads