Non-english speakers, how has internet helped?

Vin

I am curious as to the affects of internet use of people in non-english speaking countries. I am curious if you feel more confident in your written/spoken english since you have begun to use the internet and specifically since you have begun posting on primarily english speaking message boards so much.

I am truly amazed by how well alot of the non-native english speakers write on the internet. I grew up bilingual speaking spanish, which by all accounts is an easy langauge to become literate in once you speak it. Unfortunately I am painfully illiterate in spanish.

Anyways any comments anyone might have on the topic would be nice. No academic study or anything, I am just curious as to what people have to say.

Sagitta

Well, I would be happy to be able to speak and understand Spanish, even if i couldn't read or write it well. :wink: :)

It is pretty amazing, I agree, that so many non-English speaking people do so well. Pretty cool too. :)

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I guess I am the other way around.
I learned Hangual completely from the internet. I can read and write and speak it. I can carry on simple conversations with my TaeKwonDo Masters. That would never have happened without the internet.

Internet is the best way to improve another language! I "use" English since I was 10! But that thanks to the web, I'm learning a lot of things!
I've studied a lot before,and now I can understand what I'm reading! Is very beautiful!

I live in Italy! For me,speak,read,understand English is a big satisfaction! :oops:

chachachacat

la celia,ciao! Per piacere, can you recommend a site in Italy, maybe with English AND Italian? I'd like to work on my Italiano, but I'm not very good. Maybe a cooking site?
Grazie.

Pacion

Even as a native english speaker, I think the internet has helped my command of the english language also :wink: :D

blue

Since I have lots of non-Swedish speakers at my work, internet hasn't made that much of a change. DF sure has expanded my English dance vocabulary, but films and TV programs with subtitles instead of dubbing and English pop groups have meant a lot more to my English than the internet.

DWise1

blue said:
Since I have lots of non-Swedish speakers at my work, internet hasn't made that much of a change. DF sure has expanded my English dance vocabulary, but films and TV programs with subtitles instead of dubbing and English pop groups have meant a lot more to my English than the internet.
I think I've heard somewhere that having foreign children's cartoons with subtitles on Swedish TV also contributes to a higher literacy rate. Because even while watching a lot of TV, Swedish children are also practicing their reading (and speed reading at that!) while watching TV.

While I enjoy watching foreign films with subtitles * , I more commonly hear other Americans say that they don't like having to read the subtitles. My only problem with subtitled movies is that I cannot be working on anything else and still follow what's going on in the movie like I can with movies in English.

[* Footnote:
I was a foreign language major, so I want to hear what they are actually saying; I am sorely disappointed that I can only find dubbed versions of "Das Boot".
Also, sometimes how the character's voice sounds is very important and the dubbers don't always substitute in a comparable voice. I'll never forget seeing a Woody Allen movie in Germany in which they had dubbed him with a deep masculine voice; that was just completely wrong.]

chachachacat said:
la celia,ciao! Per piacere, can you recommend a site in Italy, maybe with English AND Italian? I'd like to work on my Italiano, but I'm not very good. Maybe a cooking site?
Grazie.
What kind of site would you like? I'm italian, I might be able to help u.
Fammi sapere,
Emanuela

Pacion

DWise1 said:
[* Footnote:
I was a foreign language major, so I want to hear what they are actually saying; I am sorely disappointed that I can only find dubbed versions of "Das Boot".
Maybe I am missing something here but it looks like you can get the DVD via Amazon.com?

pygmalion

Yes. I prefer to hear people speaking, while reading subtitles, if necessary. Vocal inflection tels all, and dubbing often kills the gutterals and other verbal cues to emotion, IMO.

chachachacat said:
Grazie.
Will be a pleasure help you! :D You can ask to me and to Emanuela too! We are both italian! :wink:

Although I know a bit of Italian, I think I need to work on my Spanish for now.

on the topic of using subtitles... I've considered this... Do you think it would be more helpful to hear the seconde language and read the first or hear the first and read the second? I can probably set up both pretty easily here.

DWise1

Actually, the internet has been a boon for this English speaker.

I started out as a foreign language major, at which time I would have given anything to have something like the Internet. We have a very sizeable Mexican population, such that most signs in my home town are now in Spanish, which means that anyone studying Spanish would have all the practice materials and opportunities that they could possibly wish for. But there is very little for the French major, or German major (which was me). Even now with video tapes, most of the foreign movies carried are in French and practically none are in German. Through cable you can get a French TV station (TV5), but again not in German (a different method of encoding video doesn't help, of course).

Now with the Internet, I can go to German sites, written by Germans using the current vernacular. Or go to discussion forums in German. Or to newsgroups in German. And I can practice writing German to Germans (and so get feedback as to whether what I've written can be understood).

And the same can be done with most other languages.

The Internet is the greatest thing for language students since sliced Schwarzwälder Schinkenspeck!

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
DWise1 said:
The Internet is the greatest thing for language students since sliced Schwarzwälder Schinkenspeck!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ummm, do we even allow that type of language here on the DF??? :wink: :lol:

Rosa

la celia said:
I live in Italy! For me,speak,read,understand English is a big satisfaction! :oops:
Why the ' :oops: ', la celia? Being able to speak, read and understand a foreign language is an achievement, not something to be embarrassed about!

To those who spoke about how the Internet can help with learning a foreign language: I agree. I've used it a lot to help with my studies of French and Spanish. (My native language is English.)

But let's not get too caught up in the Internet... one-to-one communication with speakers of the language you're learning is important, too. So much of communication comes from body language (which varies from culture to culture) - and from whatever sort of 'chemistry' you have with the person you're talking with - and even with all the emoticons in the world, you're never going to get that on the Internet.

The Net's a good start if you can't get to language classes or travel or meet with native speakers of the language you're learning... but it's best to try and get some real-time communication as soon as possible. That's been my own experience.

Rosa :)

DWise1

SDsalsaguy said:
DWise1 said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ummm, do we even allow that type of language here on the DF??? :wink: :lol:
"Black Forest smoked ham". Really good stuff.

It better be allowed on the DF!

Dance Ads