NYC Congress (8/31-9/3) -who's going?

Boriken posted the list of songs above in a previous thread. I could not find a lot of those songs anywhere online. I printed it out and visited Cholo Records in the Bronx. Cholo was recommened by Boriken. It's a small store with CDs mounted on the wall from the floor to ceiling height. Cholo has been there for 20 years. He is the owner and runs it. He don't hire no high school kid that doesn't know anything. I spoke to Cholo and handed him the list. He started humming each song, walked around the store and plucked out the CD it was on. That man knows his music! A few hours later I walk out with $200 worth of CDs. So far they sound awesome. A BIG THANKS to Boriken for his recommendations and educating us on music.
Mr. Cholo... he definitely knows his stuff. He knows a lot of obscure stuff. His recommendations are always great as well. I love that store! It is absolutely great... Imma have to go in-there and tell him that he's got to split his profits. Actually, he is like a great bar tender. If he sees that you are buying and buying. The next few will be on the house.

I'm happy to hear that you found good music Kiwi. What is that 13, 14 CDs? If it were candy you'd have cavities by now.

Along similar lines, would you put songs like these in the same list, or no?

Brujeria - El Gran Combo
Pa' Puerto Rico - Wayne Gorbea
Fe - Hermanos Lebron
Siguelo - Javier Vazquez
Yes I would.
Brujeria one of my fav all time songs.. Javier's siguelo is great, although I prefer Wuelfo's take.

Mr. Cholo... he definitely knows his stuff. He knows a lot of obscure stuff. His recommendations are always great as well. I love that store! It is absolutely great... Imma have to go in-there and tell him that he's got to split his profits. Actually, he is like a great bar tender. If he sees that you are buying and buying. The next few will be on the house.

I'm happy to hear that you found good music Kiwi. What is that 13, 14 CDs? If it were candy you'd have cavities by now.
15 CDs. No cavities, but my jaw hurts from all that smiling. I love that music! It makes you smile and shake your body. People on the freeway next to me must think I'm nuts :)

I just got reminded again about an issue that perturbs me about these so-called "super-advanced" male dancers - and it's usually men that trained at a certain famous NY dance school: WHY ARE THEY SO ROUGH!?!! ugh!
I remember a friend telling me that this was the prevalent "NY style", i didn't buy that. I seek out gentlemen instead (or at least beg fo "mercy" lol!)

But these rough supastas - they do have a captivating bold aggressive style, the attitude, the amazing footwork, upper body movements, the afro cuban shines, but taking a look at the followers that dance with them: they're almost off balance, off-beat, rushed, hunched shoulders, struggling to cover huge spaces, not dancing....gah! myself, I feel out of control dancing with these guys, love to watch them, but dancing with them feels dangerous! Unless I ask for a lighter lead, and even then :rolleyes:
No wonder they do better with the petite little girls. That way if they fall they can be caught, nobody gets hurt haha
I have to admit that I had a great a time tonight laughing at the expression of some girls as they experienced "the blender" for the first time :lol: :lol:

They do look gooood but treating women that is not "super-advanced" in my book!

"all that glitters is not gold"

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted since last ohhhhhhh, April I believe.
There's been a lot going on and I'm just now finding time to get back on here. I've been to the NYC Salsa Congress before but this time came away with what I went for with respect to some new On2 open solo material that I wanted
and I've got a lot of stuff to go back over.

Yes, I experienced some roughness. I did dance with two guys that were rough so I had to stabilize myself quite a bit when dancing with them. I think they realized that they were too rough and then made the adjustment to me because I refused to be taken off balance. The others I danced with weren't rough.

...and Yes, I saw some Carpet-Dancers. I didn't understand this because there were three dance floors with space to spare. hmmmmm.

All in all I got what I went for and had a great time. Sorry I didn't check this board before I left to see who was going and who to look for though.
Well, maybe at the next congress. Washington, NJ or Whichever is next.....

hey long time Artsy! Yeha maybe at another NY congress

I've just been watching about 30 minutes of a social dancing DVD filmed in NYC and I cannot say that dancing at NYC congress was nearly as good. These social are in smaller rooms but packed with talent!!!!

I enjoyed watching some NY ladies dance, the collective rhythm and movement is amazing, and this dvd is even better with so many of them everywhere! God I want to see more. Kiwi you would LOVE this :) It's mcuh better than most of the stuff on imambo, surprisingly, mainly because it covers a LOT of dancers at the same time. realtime GOD :)

<sigh> except for my local congress & NYC I don't think I'll be travelling to various congresses anymore

hey long time Artsy! Yeha maybe at another NY congress

I've just been watching about 30 minutes of a social dancing DVD filmed in NYC and I cannot say that dancing at NYC congress was nearly as good. These social are in smaller rooms but packed with talent!!!!

I enjoyed watching some NY ladies dance, the collective rhythm and movement is amazing, and this dvd is even better with so many of them everywhere! God I want to see more. Kiwi you would LOVE this :) It's mcuh better than most of the stuff on imambo, surprisingly, mainly because it covers a LOT of dancers at the same time. realtime GOD :)

<sigh> except for my local congress & NYC I don't think I'll be travelling to various congresses anymore
Why no more congresses (except for the two you mentioned)? I guess we won't be seeing you in ATL..:(

Is that your own DVD, or did you purchase it?

I know what you mean by congresses. I was dissapointed with the quality of dancing at the 2005 LA congress. 2006 LA congress, I just went Sat and now I am not ever going back. NYC 2004 was awesome (my first time in NY). A lot of the top dancers such as Milton Cobo were there. My instructor was dissapointed with NYC 2004. She said the quality was down and not as many good New Yorkers out there. That was her last congress. 2005 was even less NY talent out there. 2006 less again. Many of the top dancers just do not social dance at congresses anymore. Burnt out or too busy performing I guess? The top dancers don't go, so the really good dancers that want to dance with the top dancers don't go... We are experiencing a downward trend in the quality of dancers showing up to congresses :(. My next plan is to experiment with a NY non congress dancing visit. See how that compares to east coast congresses. I already know the 3 Jimmy Anton's socials I've been to are way better than any congress I've attended. The question, is what are the Friday and Sat NY dancing events like in comparison. I did the Rodney Lopez Fri social last year in NY and that was dissapointing. Mostly beginner type folks.

You guys have me really wanting to go to NYC for a salsa road trip. The only thing is that I can't go until around Xmas time, and I expect there won't be as much dancing then...:(

Don't worry NL, I think the performance aspect of congresses still cater to a lot of people. It's just that the social dancing isnt at the collective level I experienced when attending good parties in the apple.
Too much "hanging out", and being seen and hype, from folks that really aren't that special IMO. I also prefer the vibe I get from NY dancers at non-congress events, less fronting, more dancing ;)

Kiwi, I think going when there are 2 or more very good dance events is more cost effective. For example the congress combined with Jimmy's is a good package. Or like the week I went, there was the Yamulee social, Cache and pretty satisfactory dancing on the other 3 nights.
For now I am lucky to be in a scene with great music and a few good dancers, so in between NY trips, I'll be grateful for what I have :) But I'm not going out of my way to attend other congresses anymore

And the DVD was a two hour piece a friend gave me in NY, I don't know if/how he's distributing. It's filmed both in NYC and a few other countries & cities (paris, Ivory Coast, PR) excellent :D

Dance Ads