Ohio Star Ball 2011

Jerseydancer - People attending the OSB usually book their rooms many months in advance, to get rooms in adjacent hotels. These rooms are probably all sold out by now. Rooms in the immediate hotel of the comp are usually available ONLY through the organizer, for those buying a full package. If you haven't made a reservation yet, try your luck with the neighboring hotels listed on the comp website, though these are most likely sold out by now. Otherwise, you will have to walk a few blocks. Regulars often book their hotel room right at the end of the comp, for next year's event.

Jerseydancer - People attending the OSB usually book their rooms many months in advance, to get rooms in adjacent hotels. These rooms are probably all sold out by now. Rooms in the immediate hotel of the comp are usually available ONLY through the organizer, for those buying a full package. If you haven't made a reservation yet, try your luck with the neighboring hotels listed on the comp website, though these are most likely sold out by now. Otherwise, you will have to walk a few blocks. Regulars often book their hotel room right at the end of the comp, for next year's event.
Thank you for the info. We do not attend many NDCA comps, and the ones we have attended so far normally have had hotels available. I hope this comp is as good as they say

Purr

A Hilton hotel is being built next to the Columbus Convention Center, and it is scheduled to open in September 2012. So next year there will be an additional hotel choice. I've read the construction cost for the hotel is $140 million.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Except that one time when I asked Gary McDonald if he wanted immediate money from my CC or to wait for me to go to the bank, order a money order, and then mail it to him, he said CC.

I asked "are you sure, then you have to pay fees from it?" He said yes, at least then he HAS the money.

The sooner he gets it the sooner he can start drawing interest on it, or using it to pay his comp bills.

When you ask, ESPECIALLY, for bank checks or money orders, you add an extra layer to the process that can delay most dancers from sending the check in by at least a week, than if they can put a CC number down, or just whip out a personal check that they have right on them.

danceronice

It also depends on volume--which makes it stranger, as generally it's people doing larger-volume stuff who can absorb credit card fees while small vendors have to account for high overhead.

Of course, cash and money orders have the advantage that the money's there, whether you have to take the MO in to cash it or not. Credit cards can reverse or freeze charges, and with a personal check you are taking the chance it's going to bounce.

This might not be the case now, but at least a few years ago at USDC, one had the option of paying by credit card and taking the hit by paying 4% more than if paying in cash.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
To me that is silly. CC fees are the cost of doing business. And they are tax deductible. So why am I paying someone elses business costs and they get the tax deduction for it???

Although I still pay their 4% rate increase (even though they probably only pay 2 or 3), just for the convenience of it.

And I DO NOT pass that rate hike onto my students.

Dance Ads