Ohio Star Ball 2011

Looking at the schedule, it seems that all pro-am single dances are in Regency ballroom this year:

"REGENCY BALLROOM
8:00 A.M.

Standard Pro/Am & Amateur Single Dances - Pre-Bronze through Gold Star 1
Standard Gentlemen Pro/Am International - Bronze, Silver, Gold & above Championship A, B & C
Standard World Pro/Am Championship Pre-teen, Teen & Y.A. (Midday) ..."

I think men's standard used to be in another ballroom last time I was there. Did the competition get smaller so that they could put both men and women standard events into one ballroom?

3wishes

Possibly, we had an elderly gent who competed with us in 09, and he had quite the hike to his "gents ballroom" floor. None of us could see him or cheer for him. This could be much better.

Possibly, we had an elderly gent who competed with us in 09, and he had quite the hike to his "gents ballroom" floor. None of us could see him or cheer for him. This could be much better.
I was at OSB in 09, I recall Batelle ballroom was under renovation at that time, so part of the competition was way out there in the convention center.

From the OSB web site:

There are a limited number of rooms now available at the Hyatt Regency Hotel now for the dates Nov. 15-20. If you are interested in one of these rooms, please email your request to ohstarball@aol.com, specifying the desired arrival/departure dates and number of occupants. If a room is available, you will receive an email response with instructions on how to provide credit card information and receive your reservation.

Also, still taking entries in most categories until Oct. 25. Please call for info. (614) 848-7827

Tentative lectures schedule:

Friday (2:00 - 4:15 p.m.)
Gary McDonald, Standard
Pierre Allaire, Standard
Lorraine Barrichi, Standard

Saturday (2:00 - 4:15 p.m.)
Marianne Nicole, Smooth
Tony Redpath, Smooth
Rufus Dustin, Smooth

Sunday (12 noon - 2:15 p.m.)
Ron Montez, Rhythm
Tony Meredith, Latin
Diana McDonald, Latin

Note: Dance Camp included in Packages or available a-la-carte.

JudeMorrigan

I think men's standard used to be in another ballroom last time I was there. Did the competition get smaller so that they could put both men and women standard events into one ballroom?
Looking at the final schedule, it looks like that got reversed. It's showing the men's standard as being in Battelle Hall. And while the preliminary schedule showed men's latin in Battelle Hall on Friday morning, that no longer seems to be in the final schedule.

Mengu

I think men's standard used to be in another ballroom last time I was there.
maybe we just complained enough about being shuffled off to obscure corners to compete in mere isolation...
Apparently not enough. Looks like in the final schedule, they changed it back again (or perhaps the initial schedule was simply in error). So the gentlemen will be in Battelle Hall as previous years.

edit: sorry, simulpost.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I was curious how they would navigate the vast numbers of entries in one room on the heaviest of days. At least Battelle is not a half mile away and isolated down that corridor.

3wishes

For some reason TTD, hearing that about gold standard brings me a weird comfort. I'm dancing Gold Standard (scared to death-mind you) because my pro had no more slots for my actual level, and because of my full time (almost retired from) job and the occupy LA movement as well as the just ended MJ trial - I had no idea I'd actually be able to come to Ohio. So I've been diving in on Standard - literally. Dear Husband has the maps out, prepping the car, he is going to start driving on Friday-Veteran's day, getting there long before me (I'm coming to Ohio next Thursday). He is scoping out Amish Country and the best area for us to tour on that Friday since I'm not dancing. Can you hear it? listen carefully varooommmmmm varooommmmmm and I know if TC had half a chance he'd be riding shotgun!

For some reason TTD, hearing that about gold standard brings me a weird comfort. I'm dancing Gold Standard (scared to death-mind you) because my pro had no more slots for my actual level, and because of my full time (almost retired from) job and the occupy LA movement as well as the just ended MJ trial - I had no idea I'd actually be able to come to Ohio. So I've been diving in on Standard - literally. Dear Husband has the maps out, prepping the car, he is going to start driving on Friday-Veteran's day, getting there long before me (I'm coming to Ohio next Thursday). He is scoping out Amish Country and the best area for us to tour on that Friday since I'm not dancing. Can you hear it? listen carefully varooommmmmm varooommmmmm and I know if TC had half a chance he'd be riding shotgun!
Are you dancing closed gold levels?

3wishes

yepppper,,,,do you see me shaking in my boots?!!! DH is getting brave, he's even taking my dress and accessories with him so I don't have to deal with it on the jet.
Big change - he's never ever wanted to be responsible for that - previously. wink.

yepppper,,,,do you see me shaking in my boots?!!! DH is getting brave, he's even taking my dress and accessories with him so I don't have to deal with it on the jet.
Big change - he's never ever wanted to be responsible for that - previously. wink.
Hey, we might be on the floor at the same time.

Dance Ads