4-- Rock and Roll swivel

5-- Flea Hop styling

6-- Back Spot with Flea hop

7-- Hesitation Styling

8-- Right spin turn and Kick and Crossback spin

9-- Puzzle-

10--Challenge-- Heel and Toe breaks and Q Change with Flea hop

Pacion

Hey TangoTime, any ideas/thoughts on how the Suzy Q became known as the Suzy Q? Have been wondering this for sometime now! :shock: :lol:

tangotime

I also re call it being in East coast swing.?( fifties ). It pre-dates most of todays named variations in Salsa .
It was, to my knowledge , never used in Mambo, so I,m guessing someone decided to " purloin " it from another genre .

But there again, many of the variations in Mambo / Salsa came from other dances .
Most dances are hybrids, if you go back to their inception.

tangotime

Finally managed to rack my brain, and check my resources--

I was correct-- Suzy Q was an African American dance ( to jazz music ) along with " Truckin" , from circa 1927 . The basic-- A suzy Q--

The basic was danced in a routine , now I think about it , by the Nicholas Bros. in of the movies they were featured in .

Angel HI

Further, like many steps from that era (i.e. Shorty George), the names were from the persons who did them. The step was named from the way it was done by the person who did it in Lindy Swing.

Source: Frankie Manning...Last Original Lindy Hopper (90+ and still teaching) It has been my honor to know you.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
"The Mambo is the most popular new dance right now... It's a cross between rumba and jitterbug."

Katheryn Murray quoted in the Portland Oregonian 5-1-1955 when she visited the city as the guest of the owners of the Portland studio.

tangotime

"The Mambo is the most popular new dance right now... It's a cross between rumba and jitterbug."

Katheryn Murray quoted in the Portland Oregonian 5-1-1955 when she visited the city as the guest of the owners of the Portland studio.
She was kinda on the right track, but not accurate. Its based upon Bolero, and Swing, both E and WC plus Lindy

tangotime

Which mambo is she talking of?

RazzM'Tazz
classic Paladium style
NY Club style (Torres)
mambo cubano on1
NDCA mambo
The on 2 style, . that all the studios were teaching.And she couldn't be refering to ET, he wasn't even relevant or around as a teacher at that time, nor NDCA

In many Club scenes in various cities, one could often find teachers who were improvising and adding their own "take" to that of the more regimented studio dancer . Even tho we had a strict list on what to teach , we all implemented to some degree, in our leisure time .

When one examines the variety that is in existence today, its not too difficult for those of us who have been teaching/dancing thru that time period, to recognise that, the great majority of variations have a strong basis in the older B/room styles of Bolero, Swing and Mambo. Many even identical

Dance Ads