overthinking the two step?

Since I tend to overthink everything, I'm sure I am overthinking the two-step, but I have a question. I make mistakes when I dance and that is not likely to change--I assume most people do. With most dances, I know how to correct to get back in sync and on time with the leader. In 2-step, once I make a mistake--usually getting nervous during some longish turning sequence/maneuver and losing track of the QQSS--I can't get it back. I have no way of telling whether my next step should be a Q or a S, particularly if we are in sweetheart position. Hmmm, it might be a problem with my connection in sweetheart position, but if anybody has any suggestions, I would appreciate it!
The follower turns/spins almost always start with a Q. If the leader is any good at all, then there is a distinct "stop" on the preceeding S, where the pre-lead (wind-up) for the ensuing Q happens. If the leader knows what he/she is doing, the move-then-pause sequence should feel like move-move-move....pause and not move-move....pause-pause (similar to most other dances like Salsa or Rumba that have move-move...pause), where the distinct "single" pause gives both dancers time to finish the previous pattern and set up for the following pattern. This correlates to counting 123<5> (QQQsSs, 3 Qs and one _long_ S) rather than 123>5> (straight QQSS).

If you feel the leader doing a confusing (double) pause on you, then you're probably dancing with a less-than-advanced leader. The wind-up action is a little confusing at first as well. With a little experience/practice, it becomes very intuitive as the (light) wind-up actually puts one on the proper foot with the proper (counter) orientation for the ensuing maneuver.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
In 2-step, once I make a mistake--usually getting nervous during some longish turning sequence/maneuver and losing track of the QQSS--I can't get it back. I have no way of telling whether my next step should be a Q or a S, particularly if we are in sweetheart position. Hmmm, it might be a problem with my connection in sweetheart position
When I am in sweetheart position, I can always tell a lot about a partner if she does, or doesn't put just enough backward pressure on my hands so that I can feel it.

With just enough pressure, I can feel the contrabody movement in her body, and know which foot she is on (short hand for stpeeing, etc).
If that pressure isn't there, I can't. And I anticipate that things won't go as well as they might.

I've never followed in two step, but someone would have to convince me that MY body movement isn't feeding back through that same connection.
(Works the same way in some other positions.) So, I would expect that a partner would be able to feel that something is wrong (which is seems you can do.)

If you can tune into your partner's movement, or, look at his feet! which is what most women seem to do...

As far as leaving out which step, etc, to get in sync again, I got nothin.

Oh, and I tell my partners that all I will ever do, or expect them to do, is qqS S , and that is what they should concentrate on and it will work out.

(As one partner said one time after a long sequence of whatever, "We are on the same foot!" Well, yeah.)

RiseNFall

By the time I'm trying to look at the leaders feet in a cw2s I am dead in the water!!!

Thank you to both of you. I can follow so well sometimes, and then other times..... Steve, I will work on maintaining enough pressure/connection so that I CAN feel what the leader is doing better. Partner Dancer, I suspect that I am missing some of the signals.

I'll let you know how I'm doing after I try it out some.

Dance Ads