Pet Peeve Phrases

cornutt

I think it came about as the opposite of "in the pocket"
example "Jane is totally in Beth's pocket"
Hmm. I see it more as the anthetisis of the musician's use of "in the pocket", meaning solidly with the rhythm. "I'm sorry, I'm just totally out of the pocket on this song today. Can we work on something else for a bit?"

3wishes

Ok, my 2 cents, this is not a phase... But I become completely irritated when I hear the word "like" used frequently. It makes want to exit any type of conversation that person has to offer regardless of age or media type.

cornutt

I'm getting annoyed at anyone who describes the front part of a car, train, airplane, etc., as the "front nose". It doesn't have a nose in the rear.

danceronice

For me, "out of pocket" has meant that someone has paid some costs and expenses out of their own pocket - and that they want to whine about it.
That's the only context I've ever heard it in. ("In the pocket" I've only ever heard either as being "in someone's pocket", meaning bought and paid for by them, or a more literal horse-racing reference to being in a 'hole', between other horses or other horses/the rail.)

Dance Ads