Poema? Poema. Poema!

Different people like different things. I really like their dancing, but you don't. That's OK. As far as explaining why I like it, what difference does it really make? You could explain why you dislike it, but it won't change my feeling, and I could explain why I like them, but it won't change your feelings.

When it comes to art, good and bad are relative (or subjective). If you like it, it's good. I like them, so for me, they are good.
But I'm precisely looking for subjective reasons why they are enjoyable to watch. I'm not trying to change anyone's feeling :confused:
I simply find that performance extremely dull, contrary to other people here, and am interested in other points of view.

Opendoor > Thanks for sharing this. It's funny you should mention those dancers. Though I may not the biggest fan of Sebastian, I understand why some people find him incredible. Same goes for Pablo. But doesn't for Ney Melo.

opendoor

.. funny you should mention those dancers...
..but each one for a different reason. And having read carefully the list of the 6 aspects of Ney, you may have found some nuances in rating, have you? And concerning Sebastian, I heard him non-stop lecturing on how to take the right hand of a girl for 2 hours. That was psychology at its best! And no one else can replace him in this respect.

;)

dchester

Staff member
examples please.
I noticed them dance to the music. nothing special. Something that should be if dancer dance for several yrs.
But I didn't notice difficult pieces.
This is a key difference between you and me. The difficulty of the move is not a requirement for me, although it appears to be for you. I'm not saying this is bad, BTW, just different.

I think this applies to many art forms (not just dance). One way of defining greatness is by being able to do difficult things. However another way to achieve greatness is to be able to make the simple things special (BTW that's rather difficult as well).

For me with dance, musicality trumps all other factors when watching a performance. I find it annoying when dancers are doing fancy complicated moves that don't fit the mood and the rhythm of the section of music. Sometimes, the person doing the least is the better dancer. It's all very subjective though, and depends on a lot of factors that people have different opinions on.

That's why I simplify it all by just saying, if you like it, then for you, it is good.

Mladenac

I meant difficult musical pieces so that musicality can come forward.
Statement was about musicality.

If I see dancers in MMA (mixed martial arts) style that's not what I call dance.
They can musical as Piazzolla but MMA trumps all musicality.

If see no tension dancers' movements and that goes according to the music that what I call a dance. :cool:

dchester

Staff member
I meant difficult musical pieces so that musicality can come forward.
Statement was about musicality.

If I see dancers in MMA (mixed martial arts) style that's not what I call dance.
They can musical as Piazzolla but MMA trumps all musicality.

If see no tension dancers' movements and that goes according to the music that what I call a dance. :cool:
The concept still applies. Can you make a simple piece special, vs can you handle something difficult.

Mladenac

This is a key difference between you and me. The difficulty of the move is not a requirement for me, although it appears to be for you. I'm not saying this is bad, BTW, just different.
I don't need complicated and dangerous move.
I want to see that move seems natural.

If complicated moves seems natural that's ok fine with me.

example of what? The example is in front of your eyes on the video: superb musicality, elegance, simplicity.

dchester said it all really.

No point arguing about tastes. Some like Greek and Roman style in architecture, and some like Rococo. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

I know a pilot, who says that the secret of aerobatics is to make simple look elegant, and make difficult look simple. I use the same principle in tango.

And this is why, for instance, I don't care much for Poema by Pablo and Noelia. I think they are working too hard. I just want to tell them: relax, guys, relax, it's only a dance. But that's just me. ;)

No point arguing about tastes. Some like Greek and Roman style in architecture, and some like Rococo. Let a thousand flowers bloom.
I find this to be a bit condescending. To use your example, I'm fond of roman, and I dislike Rococo (as a style), but that doesn't mean that I like everything Roman, or that I can't appreciate a particular Rococo piece if someone takes the time to explain why it may be enjoyable. To make a long story short, I (or Mladenac if I may speak on his / her behalf) am not arguing over tastes, I'm just trying to figure out what's so special about their musicality / elegance.
Hopefully you understand why the answer "Just look at the video" doesn't do it for me.

Mladenac

You got me TD. :)

Somebody can see cause it's trained is a certain way and others don't.
So giving an example and pointing what you see regarding which song so we can discuss it. :cool:

It's not we like or not, it's what we notice or not.

Mladenac

And this is why, for instance, I don't care much for Poema by Pablo and Noelia. I think they are working too hard. I just want to tell them: relax, guys, relax, it's only a dance. But that's just me. ;)
Pablo and Noelia tend to be a little bit energetic generally.
And that performance was a class demo, that also should be considered.

I used to be very fond of them, but not anymore. :cool:

Dance Ads