Practice makes perfect thread

Thats what we do - try to practice at a social studio - but since we do not have a formal 'home' studio we have to do this at a friendly but not entirely accomodating studio (can't blame them). There seems to be a love-hate relationship between social and competetive dancers. On the one hand, a lot of social dancers seem to love to watch trained dancers on teh floor and we get lots of compliments and encouragement. on the other hand some (a minority) get scared and intimidated when they see a couple bearing down on them at a rate of knots - even if there is no danger of a collision. Thus, sometimes there are complaints. I wish the social studios would have at least the occasional dance where just competitors and the stronger social dancers were invited on the floor - they could call it a 'showcase dance'. It would benefit all...

Actually, I think I am going to suggest that the next time I am there...

and123

I wish the social studios would have at least the occasional dance where just competitors and the stronger social dancers were invited on the floor
Um, then you have the perpetual problem of Delusions of Grandeur. Y'know, like the people who jump into Advanced classes after a few months of dancing, thinking they Know Everything :rolleyes:. Worth a shot, tho....

Peaches

Practice for the next 2 weeks: grapevines. Fast grapevines. Starting with small steps, working up to larger ones. Starting relatively slow, and working up to Oh-holy-crap-this-is-fast speed.

Thats what we do - try to practice at a social studio - but since we do not have a formal 'home' studio we have to do this at a friendly but not entirely accomodating studio (can't blame them). There seems to be a love-hate relationship between social and competetive dancers. On the one hand, a lot of social dancers seem to love to watch trained dancers on teh floor and we get lots of compliments and encouragement. on the other hand some (a minority) get scared and intimidated when they see a couple bearing down on them at a rate of knots - even if there is no danger of a collision. Thus, sometimes there are complaints. I wish the social studios would have at least the occasional dance where just competitors and the stronger social dancers were invited on the floor - they could call it a 'showcase dance'. It would benefit all...

Actually, I think I am going to suggest that the next time I am there...
You know, this probably merits a whole thread of its own: to what extent social dancers are intimidated by competitive ones? I had a lesson the other day and we shared the floor with one other teacher working with a social couple, and at one point I think they were not too happy when they were doing foxtrot and I was doing foxtrot with my teacher, and ours looked a lot different than theirs.

I had a lesson the other day and we shared the floor with one other teacher working with a social couple, and at one point I think they were not too happy when they were doing foxtrot and I was doing foxtrot with my teacher, and ours looked a lot different than theirs.
I'll bet!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Isn't that how coaches get new couples hooked on umpteen privates though? A little jealousy goes a long way....

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I think there is sometimes an element of that...and it pains me...when I was getting ready for a lesson at a studio I visit for a FT showcase...the lady (who dances socially) who was practicing her showcase routine before me came up to me and said "you aren't going to be doing a WALTZ with him are you??????" b/c her routine was a waltz and her perception was that if I did one as well, somehow hers would be less lovely...made me feel very bad...always does...because then it feels like if I dance full out others feel diminished ...granted I am not in control of that but I hate to think it....I try, when watching excellent pros, to enjoy the beauty of just getting to see good dancing...and I try to learn from them....

Peaches

I think there is sometimes an element of that...and it pains me...when I was getting ready for a lesson at a studio I visit for a FT showcase...the lady (who dances socially) who was practicing her showcase routine before me came up to me and said "you aren't going to be doing a WALTZ with him are you??????" b/c her routine was a waltz and her perception was that if I did one as well, somehow hers would be less lovely...made me feel very bad...always does...because then it feels like if I dance full out others feel diminished ...granted I am not in control of that but I hate to think it....I try, when watching excellent pros, to enjoy the beauty of just getting to see good dancing...and I try to learn from them....
Well, that's about me...to a "T." I'm not proud, but there it is. You absolutely nailed it.

That said--it's not your fault, or your issue to worry about. While your dancing full-out might make other feel diminished, by not doing so it won't buoy the confidence of others. Congrats on being at a place where you can just enjoy the beauty of those better than you--not all of us are there. (Not meant to be snarky, btw.) But there's nothing you can, or should, do about it. Finding a way to deal is our responsibility.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
Well, that's about me...to a "T." I'm not proud, but there it is. You absolutely nailed it.

That said--it's not your fault, or your issue to worry about. While your dancing full-out might make other feel diminished, by not doing so it won't buoy the confidence of others. Congrats on being at a place where you can just enjoy the beauty of those better than you--not all of us are there. (Not meant to be snarky, btw.) But there's nothing you can, or should, do about it. Finding a way to deal is our responsibility.
yea...you are right...it just well...sometimes gets lonely in that space...and I am a "fixer" and I can't fix that

I'm the third permutation - love to perform, love to watch those better than me - and no concerns for those with the envies. As said, its their problem.

You are obviously more of an 'empath' than I fasc - its nice but it must be infinitely hard work in cases where you try to fix those that are unfixable...

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I know better than to try occupationally, but like most, I stink at it in my personal dealings...I have to regularly work the 12 steps on myself to avoid giving my power away

Peaches

I'm the third permutation - love to perform, love to watch those better than me - and no concerns for those with the envies. As said, its their problem.

You are obviously more of an 'empath' than I fasc - its nice but it must be infinitely hard work in cases where you try to fix those that are unfixable...
I'm close to that category when it comes to AT, oddly enough. Don't know about the performing bit...want to try it, but haven't yet. But have a very strong desire to (just b/c I find it too beautiful not to share...cheesy, I know). But I can sit there and watch people better than me all night long, quite happily. And I'll get there myself, eventually.

It's only ballroom where I've got the hang-ups.

Dance Ads