Question about triple swing

lynn said:
Hi, everyone,

I was trying out triple swing yesterday (i think it's ECS) and I found myself with a really big problem. I'm essentially "hopping" or jumping from one step to the next because the the music is quite fast. Is there any way to keep me more "grounded" between step transitions?? I saw some instructors dance and it looks like they're just taking their time and no one is doing the "hopping" step i'm doing. Any suggestions?

Just a tip - the faster the music, the smaller the step and/or fewer the steps you can take. :)

This just occured to me....when you step on beat 1, 4 & 6, do you bend your knee first then step on it, or do you step on straight knee and bend afterwards?? I find myself bending my knee first on 1 & 4, but when I get to #6, I step on a straight leg then bend, which makes it a little awkward, strange....

plz disregard the last questions, i think i figured out the solution by putting the weight on the ball of my foot and not step with a flat foot.

But here's another question, would it be alright if I "drop" the weight on my foot rather than really step on it on 2, 4, 6?

dTas

lynn said:
plz disregard the last questions, i think i figured out the solution by putting the weight on the ball of my foot and not step with a flat foot.

But here's another question, would it be alright if I "drop" the weight on my foot rather than really step on it on 2, 4, 6?
of course. you can "land" on that foot instead of "set" on that foot. as long as you don't "bounce" or "pop" out of it unnecessarily.

that's part of the styling in creating either a smooth swing look or an active exciting swing look.

GreyBlueEyes said:
michelle: i think what you are describing is that kids learn how to run before they learn how to *stop* :) when they first start running they usually end up by tipping over instead of actually stopping because of that momentum of their center. i know what you mean, though!
That's exactly what I meant! Thanks!

Spitfire

lynn,

Keeping your feet closer together for quicker tempo has already been mentioned. With practice and experience you should be able to smoothen this out and keep things more grounded. :)

Dance Ads