Regional competitions begin for the World Cup 2013 in BsAs

jantango

This wasn't a regional competition, but still the winners of the lst Tango Salon Championship in Hong Kong go to the World Cup in Buenos Aires. Notice how the judges don't even look at Lily & Gen during the competition. That's because they studied with the judges Cristina Sosa & Daniel Nacucchio. The big hugs at the end from their teachers make it obvious. A couple has to study with the judges; it's the same way in ballroom competitions. There is no impartiality in judging.

Mladenac

The most interesting thing how those champions relate later in artistic world.

Current world renowned dancers would have never won any of these contest.

LadyLeader

This video made me quite glad

The winning couple was not the youngest and they were not the skinniest either!
The South Korean female couple, Peninsula and Jinsuk, made it to the finals!

Do you agree with the judges? or who would you have picked to be the winning couple?

It is also good to know that my dance was looked and approved by a judge! Daniel N was here in May and he put his thumbs up for me in our afternoon milonga. :) :) :)

sixela

Mhhh -- does anyone know what version of Yuyo Verde is played last in that video from LadyLeader? Sounds a bit like the Pugliese, but not the version I know. Unless the sound balance is really wierd.

sixela

It's a shame to see Peninsula and Jinsuk dance like that -- they usually dance _a lot_ better than that. Dancing to the judges (unless it's nervousness) in a salón competition certainly doesn't seem to do them justice.

LKSO

Watching these video's, in all honesty, makes me disgusted. There is no connection to the music at all. They could be dancing to some other music because that's what it looks like. The last video, I find it really disrespectful that they would dance playfully when the music much more serious. And it was a winner's demonstration... that speaks volumes to me.

At this point, I don't care how technically sloppy they dance as long as they're connected to the music.

LadyLeader

Yes Lilly and jantango, if they are the best!

Who should be the winner instead of Lily & Gen? Because then we had a reason to criticize the jury.

LadyLeader

It's a shame to see Peninsula and Jinsuk dance like that -- they usually dance _a lot_ better than that. Dancing to the judges (unless it's nervousness) in a salón competition certainly doesn't seem to do them justice.
Yes you are maybe right. I don't know, but I think they are dancing to a choreography in their performances and it maybe gives a stronger dance.

Yes Lilly and jantango, if they are the best!

Who should be the winner instead of Lily & Gen? Because then we had a reason to criticize the jury.
Seriously, I don't know. I can tell what couple I liked the most, but I realize it is very subjective. Dance wise, it doesn't make much sense, since no one is really dancing there. So, AFAIC, that event is entirely about something else.

jantango

Another round of gymnastics this week in Rome where all the women are dressed by Mimi Pinzon. You never see these dresses at a milonga in BsAs; they are standard costumes for exhibitions and competitions only. This year Mimi Pinzon is an official sponsor of the World Cup, getting world-wide coverage for her collection.

That's Gloria and Eduardo Arquimbau at the end. They are probably on the panel of judges for the European competition.

jantango

I suppose only the tourists can afford to dress well, and they don't count. ;)
There are dozens of tango shoe and clothing stores in Buenos Aires that have sprung up in the past ten years. Who buys? The professionals who dance exhibitions, and the tourists who want to look like them or think that's the way to dress for tango.

That's not to say that the portenos who dance don't dress well. They do. But they haven't bought into the notion of "tango" dresses, suits, and shoes are required in the milongas. The professionals including champions who tour the world are giving the idea that you have to dress a certain way for tango; their tango is for exhibition only, not social dance for the milonga. All those Mimi Pinzon dresses have slits up the side and flowing trains in the back. You won't find them at any milonga in BsAs except on the women doing exhibitions. The professionals probably don't have to buy Mini Pinzon dresses or Comme il faut shoes. I'll bet they get them free or at a great discount for exposure. Just wearing them helps those businesses. [It's like Hollywood stars wearing a designer label.] As in the dance, one should have a personal style in dress. This year's World Cup will be a fashion show of Mimi Pinzon dresses on all the female competitors.

jantango

Watching these video's, in all honesty, makes me disgusted. There is no connection to the music at all. They could be dancing to some other music because that's what it looks like. The last video, I find it really disrespectful that they would dance playfully when the music much more serious. And it was a winner's demonstration... that speaks volumes to me.

At this point, I don't care how technically sloppy they dance as long as they're connected to the music.
Lily and Gen won this salon championship, but for them it was a chance to show how entertaining tango can be. After all, they were performing for an audience. They have experience in that regard. It doesn't take long to find their exhibition videos at Salon Canning, El Beso, Gricel and La Nacional in BsAs. Or to discover they hosted Daniel Nacucchio and Cristina Sosa at their festival two years ago in Singapore. Their teachers aren't connected to the music, so we can't expect them to respect the music.

Two years ago I had lively email discussions with Nacucchio about what is appropriate for the dance floor. He believes there are so many things that can be done in tango, even if they're dangerous on a social floor. He is trying to show how much he can DO in tango. He may have seen too many SYTYCD videos and is trying to compete. He is only one of many tango professionals who are selling acrobatics to those who want to enjoy tango as a social dance.

Dance Ads