Removing gemtac glue

I had a thread a few weeks back asking how to stone...and guess what? I managed to make some pretty major mistakes, and now one side of my dress is spotted with misplaced glue spots. How do you remove it without damagin the dress? (gemtac glue)

Yup, any solvent should take care of your glue. Acetone, perhaps regular old rubbing alcohol depending on the composition of your glue... I have no experience with gem-tac.

Glue question

Hello!!!
I've just started stoning my dress with Gemtac glue..
The problem is that on the other side of the dress I can see little glue residue/stains?
I don't think its noticeble when I wear it, but is there any way I can remove that residue?
Or at least prevent it?
Thanks!

mindputtee

Wax paper, foil, plastic, just something that you can easily pull off the glue. Stick it between the layers.
That's a great idea, I'm going to be working on a dress soon and was doing some testing with gluing rhinestones and found that the fabric was too thin and the glue bled through. I'll have to keep that in mind!

That's a great idea, I'm going to be working on a dress soon and was doing some testing with gluing rhinestones and found that the fabric was too thin and the glue bled through. I'll have to keep that in mind!
My dress fabric is too thin also, so i gotta be careful now!
Thanks for the answers, everybody!

Straight acetone is quite potent.
Sure, but most people won't have access to straight acetone. Those who do are probably scientists, and I would be more than a little concerned for them if they didn't know or think to try acetone to get rid of the glue. :eek: And my personal opinion since I do work in a lab... I am a whole lot less concerned about acetone as compared to a bunch of other lab reagents :tongue:

mindputtee

The acetone you get at the hardware store isn't straight?
You might be able to get pretty close to straight acetone. Honestly, acetone doesn't really react with much, it just is a really good solvent and will dissolve nearly everything, possibly including dyes in fabrics. So check if it makes your colors run before using it all over your garment, but you can probably make a dilute solution with some water if your acetone is too potent.

Joe

Most synthetic fabrics aren't dyed, because it's very difficult to get them to take dye. The color is actually built into the fibers. The acetone I have from Home Depot seems to do a decent job removing adhesive from bottles. The only real trouble is that it's so volatile that it evaporates very quickly.

Dance Ads