RIP Robin Williams

DL

What I find most unfortunate is that if someone of his financial ability and societal support to receive help is unable to honestly get the help they need... what chance does the rest of middle income and poor society have?
I saw a news article today suggesting that, while in absolute terms he might still have had more wherewithal than you or me, he was having trouble both with money and with finding paying work (let alone satisfying work, which is something that matters to all of us entirely aside from money).
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-robin-williams-last-days-20140813-story.html

Purr

My issues were depression were magnified by workplace bullying - the bully was my manager. In desperation, I did something about it. Once the manager was removed, I started to improve, and over time I was able to step off the medication. While depression remains a lifelong continuing issue, I recognize patterns of spiraling downward behavior better, and I have other coping mechanisms than just a bottle of pills, which under no circumstances will I ever take again.

I'm sticking to my point that unless you've walked in those shoes, you don't know what it's really like.

Purr

CNN is reporting that Robin Williams was struggling with the early stages of Parkinson's disease, in addition to depression and anxiety issues.

stash

Meh. There are probably millions of people who don't find their work particularly satisfying. Yet they still slog it out every day.
1) That doesn't mean you should slog through it.

2) Work could have been one factor, or the straw that broke the camel's back.

That mentality that one should slog through work and not enjoy it is the exact mentality that I fight every day with my family to do what I want to do. I'm sorry if they want to live their lives miserably, and maybe you fall in this category too, but I don't. If this is the only life I live, which I believe it is, I would rather spend my time, working twice as hard to make ends meet doing something that I love, rather than hating every minute of it.

As someone who has a chemical imbalance in my brain, as well as someone who has lost a family member to suicide, I would highly advice people not to be so quick to judge those that do unfortunately take their lives. We will never know what was going through Robin William's mind during that dark time of his. Instead of criticizing one man's decisions, wouldn't you rather spend that energy trying to figure out a way to make sure no one has to be faced with this kind of decision again?

Or would you like to continue belittling people's pain with statements like "I can do, therefore everyone can do it"?

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
CNN is reporting that Robin Williams was struggling with the early stages of Parkinson's disease, in addition to depression and anxiety issues.
and let me just say that while many people live productive lives for long periods of time with this disease and manage it well, it can be a HORRIBLE disease....and it would be something that could be very hard for a depressive person to navigate....I would also note that in the same press release, his wife maintained that he had been maintaining his sobriety of late....

dancelvr

1) ..... as well as someone who has lost a family member to suicide, I would highly advice people not to be so quick to judge those that do unfortunately take their lives. We will never know what was going through Robin William's mind during that dark time of his. Instead of criticizing one man's decisions, wouldn't you rather spend that energy trying to figure out a way to make sure no one has to be faced with this kind of decision again?

Or would you like to continue belittling people's pain with statements like "I can do, therefore everyone can do it"?
I'm sorry to hear this, stash. I've lost two family members to suicide (a close cousin, and my father). It's painful to hear someone dismiss their suffering.

stash

I'm sorry to hear this, stash. I've lost two family members to suicide (a close cousin, and my father). It's painful to hear someone dismiss their suffering.
Hugs dancelvr. It was my uncle. I'm sorry to hear of your loss as well. Maybe story's like Robin Williams' will start a new trend in the way people think about mental health.

Joe

As someone who has a chemical imbalance in my brain, as well as someone who has lost a family member to suicide, I would highly advice people not to be so quick to judge those that do unfortunately take their lives. We will never know what was going through Robin William's mind during that dark time of his. Instead of criticizing one man's decisions, wouldn't you rather spend that energy trying to figure out a way to make sure no one has to be faced with this kind of decision again?
I'm not sure where I criticized Williams' decisions...

dancelvr

I had a long post prepared.....but, have decided just to let the subject drop for me. He's gone. Nothing we talk about here is going to change that.

Dance Ads