Salsa clubs/bars vs. Studio socials

So I've been to both and I think there seems to be a big difference. It seems like at bars and clubs, everyone focuses on patterns even for beginner lessons and people seem to not doing the basic steps properly. However, at studios, I think they are more technical and everyone focuses on correcting the little things. In addition, I find people at studios a lot more friendly. Does anyone else feel that way?

MaggieMoves

It takes awhile for salseros and salseras to open up to outsiders. Give it a few times before more people start opening up to you. Most people just observe the newbies that show up before engaging them. This is mostly a result of some bars we go to being "pick up bars," and we're just trying to feel you out if you're a dancer or a weirdo looking to take someone home.

At clubs, patterns do appear to be more important but you also have different things entirely to focus on. Things like "shines" which are never touched upon by most studios (especially in the ballroom community) are a perfect example. You can even argue that ballroom studios teach salsa more in a way that mambo is danced... to a point where you cannot distinguish the two. There's nothing wrong with dancing mambo at a salsa club, but you will find few people doing it. Another thing to consider is musicality at salsa clubs, which allow for "shines" to even occur. Keep in mind that advanced technique does allow for more advanced moves as well, and these might be things you don't even pick up on as a beginner. It comes with time though.

If you take a lesson at a club before say the start of a salsa night, it will almost exclusively be about the step itself. Perhaps only 20-50 percent of the students will even understand how to execute it. It is more something to work towards though.

tangotime

It seems like at bars and clubs, everyone focuses on patterns even for beginner lessons and people seem to not doing the basic steps properly.

However, at studios, I think they are more technical and everyone focuses on correcting the little things. In addition, I find people at studios a lot more friendly. Does anyone else feel that way?
You need to understand this ; In most clubs, many of the dancers, particularly in latin clubs, have NEVER taken lesson 1...their objectives and reasons for dancing is invariably cultural, and free form is the way they learned ( from parents, friends, etc ) .

Some of the best dancers I have ever danced with in clubs ( And I'm a prof. ) have been un-trained dancers, and have more feeling in their little finger, than many of the "cookie " cutter dancers that, come out of training environments.

The ambience is the main difference ( for me ) between studio and club scenes, and yes, you do need to get "known ", as club dancers may seem cliquey at first, but when they get to know you, all will change .

Teaching a class in a club setting, is usually a "one off " for the many, so, technique, is not the priority . getting out on the floor is !

Thanks. Even the "instructors" are very focused on the steps themselves. In my first lesson with my studio instructor, she focused on weight change in the basic steps, whereas the club instructor just made sure people knew the step. It felt very different dancing with the club beginners vs.studio beginners.
I found it harder to lead in a club setting than in a studio.

tangotime

In my first lesson with my studio instructor, she focused on weight change in the basic steps, whereas the club instructor just made sure people knew the step. It felt very different dancing with the club beginners vs.studio beginners.
I found it harder to lead in a club setting than in a studio.
Nothing wrong with techn... but, application in a social setting, is where you need to test drive the lesson .

Dance studio environments are more controlled, ergo, clubs deal more with reality..

Nothing wrong with techn... but, application in a social setting, is where you need to test drive the lesson .

Dance studio environments are more controlled, ergo, clubs deal more with reality..
Well, are clubs really reality? I've always hated clubs in general. I find a lot of people have very self absorbed opinions of themselves. I agree studio environments are more controlled but you still get to practice with other follows as well and you get to test drive things.

Mr 4 styles

Get enough patterns to keep your partner interested. Get good enough technique to lead weird alignments and on a crowded floor. As a leader if you have these two elements and look like you are having fun you will never not have a partner.

I always check out salsa clubs when I travel
Tall white dude with glasses walks into a salsa club......

Then dances with every female in the place. :D After a while I don't even do the asking :cool:

tangotime

Well, are clubs really reality? I've always hated clubs in general. I find a lot of people have very self absorbed opinions of themselves. I agree studio environments are more controlled but you still get to practice with other follows as well and you get to test drive things.

I don't know the type of clubs you may know. I can only speak ( primarily ) to Latin clubs, where the ambience is unique, and the reality I speak of, is in the make up of clientele, and the music ( normally NO pop style )..

One will seldom, if ever, get a true experience of "latino" ambience , in a studio nor will you probably get the best of latin music.

I've taught and danced at socials in studios, and the latin music , is rarely of any quality. I teach all my students ,to ALL the latin dances, with music that reflects their origins..

cornutt

In general, I think there's more variation among clubs than there is among studios. You can go to a studio that you've never been to before and you'll have a fairly good idea of the general experience before you set foot through the door. With clubs you can go to one and it has a postage-stamp-sized floor full of drunk guys and woo-girls. You go to the next club and it's got a good floor and great dancers. And the environment at a club may be very different from one day of the week to the next. I don't dance salsa much but I've done some club WCS dancing and it's generally been a lot of fun.

(That said, I have no use for club free dancing whatsoever. YMMV.)

FancyFeet

^ Was that really necessary? The very next sentence indicates that some clubs have a good floor and great dancers.

We may not always agree, but could we try to be respectful? One of my favourite things about DF is the different viewpoints and open discussion... let's keep that, please!

tangotime

^ Was that really necessary? The very next sentence indicates that some clubs have a good floor and great dancers.

We may not always agree, but could we try to be respectful? One of my favourite things about DF is the different viewpoints and open discussion... let's keep that, please!
Pointing out to the specific statement, I do not believe that, to be dis-respecftul, just my point of view, and yours, differs.

cornutt

Pointing out to the specific statement, I do not believe that, to be dis-respecftul, just my point of view, and yours, differs.
If you're ever in town, I will take you to some clubs that are exactly what I described. I can probably even find video.

To be honest, the club dance scene here doesn't amount to much. There was one club that had a pretty good Wednesday salsa night, but I think they've discontinued it.

tangotime

If you're ever in town, I will take you to some clubs that are exactly what I described. I can probably even find video.

To be honest, the club dance scene here doesn't amount to much. There was one club that had a pretty good Wednesday salsa night, but I think they've discontinued it.
If you are speaking to reg. nite clubs, no dis-agreement. My point was, "latin" clubs. In all my dancing years, I have never seen an unruly one.

cornutt

If you are speaking to reg. nite clubs, no dis-agreement. My point was, "latin" clubs. In all my dancing years, I have never seen an unruly one.
OK, I didn't realize that was the topic. Fair enough. There aren't any proper dance clubs, in that sense, in this area. There was a club that had a Latin night for a while. I never went because it was a singles scene, but from what I'm told it was pretty good dancing. There was another club that had a WCS night for a while. There was good dancing but the scene had a weird vibe, so I quit going.

MaggieMoves

Don't get out much, so I don't know what exactly a "latin" club is. I rather suspect that only certain cities have them.
Typically a club where they'll only play salsa, merengue, bachata... and maybe kizomba or zouk and typically have a dance floor where people actually dance. The Copacabana in Times Square, NYC is a perfect example or Mangos in South Beach, Miami Beach.

tangotime

Typically a club where they'll only play salsa, merengue, bachata... and maybe kizomba or zouk and typically have a dance floor where people actually dance. The Copacabana in Times Square, NYC is a perfect example or Mangos in South Beach, Miami Beach.

That's what I'm talkin about ! ( without the K and Z ).

Dance Ads