salsa covers of pop songs like "yesterday": more?

Hi!

I'd like to create a list of salsa remakes of standards like "yesterday" or other less popular, originally not salsa songs.

Here are some:

Orquesta La Palabra - Lady

Cheo Feliciano - Yesterday

Ray Sepulveda - The Fool On The Hill (Eng Salsa).

Tropical tribute to the Beatles - a CD with some salsa remakes

lenny kravitz - Thinking of you (Emilio Estefan Salsa Version)

DLG-Huey Dunbar con Eddie Santiago - Que Locura Fue Enamorarme De Ti
Eddie Santiago - Que Locura Fue Enamorarme de Ti (salsa)

Who knows more of such songs and can extend the list?

Thanks in advance?

El Canario - Suen~o contigo. ( Original was made famous by el Puma )
Eddie Santiago - Devorame otra vez. ( From Azucar Moreno ).
Anntony remixes Mana in bachata.

Pacion

Lady in Red - Artist ?

Not sure if it will count as a remake, cover or remix but I recently heard a series of Michael Jackson songs salsafied. It was good!

MacMoto

Orquesta La Palabra - Feelings

Orquesta La Palabra - Careless Whispers

Orquesta De La Luz - Close to You

Celia Cruz - Yo Vivire (cover of "I Will Survive")

Rudy B - Lovely Day

? - Killing Me Softly

Do you guys like such songs... ? I don't!

Another one would be Aischa... :( I love the original French version... the Salsa version drives me nuts! :x

MacMoto

Not exactly a pop song, but I've just learned that Los Van Van's "Timpop Con Birdland" (also known around here as "the yes song" :lol:) is a remake of Weather Report's "Birdland". I love the Timpop version :D.

DLG - La quiero a morir (Je l'aime à mourir)

Yuri Buenaventura - Ne me quitte pas (ne me quitte pas)

Yuri Buenaventura - Un beau roman (Un beau roman)

Havana express - gangsta's paradise (gangsta's paradise)

Los Doctores del Ritmo - You're my everything (You're my everything)

there also was a remake of fever, but I can't remember by whom right now.

Do you guys like such songs... ? I don't!

Another one would be Aischa... I love the original French version... the Salsa version drives me nuts!
Well, like for any other song (salsa or not) it depends on the song.

I basically don't like Mark Anthony. The first single from his latest album though, is one of my favourit songs to dance to nowadays.

Those songs however, do not start from scratch. If you love the original and have particular souvenirs attached to it, you will most likely hate any change that has been made, and despise the song.
If it is just a song you are familiar with and you are a beginer salsero/ra, chances are you'll enjoy recognizing the melody, and have a very good time dancing to it, because you can realy get into the music and enjoy yourself, you don't have to think about the music given that you already know it.

I usually welcome those songs with a neutral state of mind, and most of those I gave I like (well, not so much the last one to be honest, probably the reason I don't remember much about it, and not Celia's cover of I will survive either) and I also really love Lady and thinking of you. (again, no souvenirs atached to those songs before the salsa version for me)

Thinking of you is a particular case, since the only thing I know is the voice, I had never heard the song before hearing a salsa version.

Pacion said:
Lady in Red - Artist ?
David Cedeño. He has an album called "Put a Little Salsa in Your Life," which is filled entirely with Salsa covers of pop songs, and he does them all in English. I actually like his versions of "Lady in Red," "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow," and "Sealed with a Kiss."

There's another compilation album called "The Best...Salsa in English." Also full of pop covers by various artists. About half of them are decent to good, the other half are pretty atrocious (and I'm one of the people who is very open-minded about hearing Salsa performed in English). My favorites on that album are probably "How Do You Keep the Music Playing," "Betcha By Golly," and "I'll Always Love You."

There's also a pretty good Bachata version of "Thank You" (originally made famous by Dido). It's kind of fast, but I like it.

Not sure if it will count as a remake, cover or remix but I recently heard a series of Michael Jackson songs salsafied. It was good!
:shock: Really? If you can do some digging, I'd be interested to know what songs are on the album and where to find it (and perhaps there are some clips on the Internet).

Orquestra la Palabra – Carele. I’ve forgotten the original title. George Michel or Wam made it originally. (It was not Faith however)

Lionel Richie’s Hello is also salsafied. But I don’t know the artist.

Both these songs are better salsafied than from the beginning.

/Lucretia

Lucretia said:
Orquestra la Palabra – Carele. I’ve forgotten the original title. George Michel or Wam made it originally. (It was not Faith however)

Lionel Richie’s Hello is also salsafied. But I don’t know the artist.

Both these songs are better salsafied than from the beginning.

/Lucretia
There is absolutely no chance in hell of ANY version of Hello being better then Lionel Richie's.

'Nuf said !

Well Lita_rulez, I must admit I might be wrong.

I liked Feeling by Lionel in the beginning. But I got so tired. That song was completely "washed out" by overexposing. This version sound fresh and is dancable. Lionels was almost putting me to sleep at the dancefloor.

/Lucretia

Lucretia said:
Well Lita_rulez, I must admit I might be wrong.

I liked Feeling by Lionel in the beginning. But I got so tired. That song was completely "washed out" by overexposing. This version sound fresh and is dancable. Lionels was almost putting me to sleep at the dancefloor.

/Lucretia
Who said anything about a "dance" floor for the original one ?

Kitchen floor will do the trick ;)

MacMoto

MacMoto said:
Orquesta La Palabra - Careless Whispers
Lucretia said:
I have a feeling we are talking about the same song.
Clip here: http://palabraonline.com/clips/Careless_Whispers.mp3

I also prefer the salsafied version (because I didn't like the original, not that I think the salsa version is great :roll:).

MacMoto, yes we are.

I will add the english title to my media library. Does Carele mean Careless Whispers?

( Most salsa I've got lacks both title- and artistname :oops: )

/lucretia

Oiy, wepa, or whatever... I will probably want to play a few covers, but I would never want to be so SO twisted to play only (twisted) covers of songs for an entire dance. At least not without announcing it as a theme ahead of time. I've already have people telling me, "please don't play Si Tu Eres Mi Hombre" by India (If You Were My Lady by Celine Dion cover) AGAIN.

But I am definitely now on the hunt for Orquestra la Palabra now. :)

There is one more salsaversion of "I Will Survive", but not with Celia Cruz. Does anyone know with whom?

I have very nice videoshots with people dancing to this song and want to add on a good soundtrack.

(The worst thing about making "dansmovies" is to get danc and music in synch - blääää. Its so hard to see if the soundtrack should be moved a nanosecond before or after the steps)

/Lucretia

etchuck said:
Oiy, wepa, or whatever... I will probably want to play a few covers, but I would never want to be so SO twisted to play only (twisted) covers of songs for an entire dance. At least not without announcing it as a theme ahead of time. I've already have people telling me, "please don't play Si Tu Eres Mi Hombre" by India (If You Were My Lady by Celine Dion cover) AGAIN.

But I am definitely now on the hunt for Orquestra la Palabra now. :)
Well, if you want to get the jist of what "Lady" sounds like, you can hear an extract ot it here :

http://austin316.free.fr/Wmv.avi

MacMoto

Lita, am I right in thinking that this is you dancing with Susana Montero? All I can say is "WOW!!"
:notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

Dance Ads