salsa covers of pop songs like "yesterday": more?

etchuck said:
I've already have people telling me, "please don't play Si Tu Eres Mi Hombre" by India (If You Were My Lady by Celine Dion cover) AGAIN.
I don't know about India but Brenda K Starr did a version on that?

I love India, can never get enough :wink: I don't know of that many female salsa singers but after Celia Cruz, I do like India :banana: I also like Brenda K Starr, but I prefer India. There is another female singer but I don't remember her name just now.

As for the male singers - I can certainly tell you the names of a few of my favourits :lol:

Pacion said:
There is another female singer but I don't remember her name just now.
Catalina Lao? Choco Orta? There is another lady with a hot voice, she is cuban also I love her!

I don't really like La India, nor Brenda...

I went to see a concert here in NY with La India, Gilbertito, El Gran Combo, Tony Vega, and a few others...

When La India came out, I was surprised :shock: , OMG She learned to sing! She is finally singing not screaming, then when the first song ended, she went back to screaming mode and screamed my ears off for the next 5 songs... Before the concernt, I didn't really like her, after that, I really don't like her.

I really like "Lady In Red" by Junior Gonzalez. I don't know if that's the one you were talking about Pacion...

There's also "Dance With Me" by Jose Alberto. Although I can't say I like that one as much.

Do you guys like such songs... ? I don't!

Another one would be Aischa... :( I love the original French version... the Salsa version drives me nuts! :x
I miss the funky guitar from the original Aicha, by Khaled and Faudel. Video can be found here: http://khaled-lesite.artistes.universalmusic.fr/. Nevertheless, I also like Africando's version whenever it's played as the last song of the night. It always did sound like a prayer.

Another one I like is the jazzy cover of "My Favorite Things", the original one is from The Sound of Music. Anyone know the one I'm thinking of, and who performs it?

Another one I like is the jazzy cover of "My Favorite Things", the original one is from The Sound of Music. Anyone know the one I'm thinking of, and who performs it?
I know the one you're talking about. They play it in one of the clubs I go it, but don't know who performs it. But all I think of when I hear it is Julie Andrews with all the kids around her in bed. A bit funny.

I usually don't like remixes. Like we have a band which play the Beatles 'A Hard Day's Night'. I just can't get to enjoy it as a salsa song.

It's by the New Swing Sextet -- and I like it, too! :)

Of course, it was kind of weird the first time I heard the song at a social. I was dancing to a jazzy song and then, all of a sudden I was saying to myself, "Is this what I think it is?" :lol: Very similar reaction as when I first heard "La Pantera Mambo" (based on the Pink Panther theme) by Orquesta La 33....

Oiy, wepa, or whatever... I will probably want to play a few covers, but I would never want to be so SO twisted to play only (twisted) covers of songs for an entire dance. At least not without announcing it as a theme ahead of time. I've already have people telling me, "please don't play Si Tu Eres Mi Hombre" by India (If You Were My Lady by Celine Dion cover) AGAIN.
I thought that song was a cover of The Power Of Love by Jennifer Rush?

My favourite is Tu Carrito - Carlos Oliva (cover of Vehicle by Ides of March). This translates perfectly into salsa and I think it's better than the original.

Dance Ads