Salsa in DC

tj said:
kdogg said:
I'm planning on being there, but I'll probably have to hit a salsa club afterwards; I've got to dance at least till 2:00 am on weekends to get my salsa fix :wink: . I haven't met you yet, tj. And most of the DC DFers.
Err... whoops! Didn't make it out that night.

How was it?
I thought we might get rained on and I was prepared to dance in the rain, if I could find a partner who doesn't mind rain; but it didn't rain. It was a bit humid and my shoes are pretty worn out from dancing on those rough concrete. I enjoyed the band and it was a good turn out. Overall it was a nice event.

Do you guys know of any URLs where they post salsa concerts in the DC, VA area? I mean the famous bands: El Gran Combo etc.

We just moved from Germany to Newport News, VA, and the salsa down here has been rather disappointing so far. So we might have to go up to DC every now and then to get our salsa "fix". And when we go, it should be worth while.

you could try www.stuckonsalsa.com, altho not every event may end up listed there.

i will make an effort to post on DF when i hear about things... altho i think vin and beto are more up on the current happenings in dc.

good luck :)

salsera_alemana said:
Do you guys know of any URLs where they post salsa concerts in the DC, VA area? I mean the famous bands: El Gran Combo etc.

We just moved from Germany to Newport News, VA, and the salsa down here has been rather disappointing so far. So we might have to go up to DC every now and then to get our salsa "fix". And when we go, it should be worth while.

kdogg said:
Folks, do you know if there are any 18+ salsa clubs in DC or VA? All the clubs I know of are 21+.
Not sure we'll be of help Kdogg...as Vin asked a similar question recently.
I'm thinking...the best bet would be to hit a social event, organized outside of the salsa club. Sunday social at Chevy Chase maybe?

Kindra said:
kdogg said:
Folks, do you know if there are any 18+ salsa clubs in DC or VA? All the clubs I know of are 21+.
I'm thinking...the best bet would be to hit a social event, organized outside of the salsa club. Sunday social at Chevy Chase maybe?
Well, my friend (more like my brother) heads back to LA on Sat. I promised to take him to a salsa club here. Oh, well, I'll have to wait until he turns 21. Anyway thanks for your help, Kindra.

kdogg said:
Kindra said:
kdogg said:
Well, my friend (more like my brother) heads back to LA on Sat. I promised to take him to a salsa club here. Oh, well, I'll have to wait until he turns 21. Anyway thanks for your help, Kindra.
Sure wish I could've helped. :roll:

Re: Fri night salsa in Bethesda area

funseeker321 said:
on 1 dancers:

is south beach club any good?

how about Justines?

or is everyone still going to Divino's?

thanks
Did you mean Juste Lounge? Juste (on Sat) and Divino (Fri) are pretty good. Never been to South Beach.

Vin

Juste is great, Divino's, people still go (I think, haven't been in a couple of months) but I think more and more people are looking for friday night alternatives.

Alot of salser@s I know are going to H20 tonight

yes, I guess I mean Juste's...can you tell me exactly where it is? I really only know the Barking Dog....

can you wear jeans to H2O?

thanks! need a Fri night alternative to Habana Village!

Vin

Juste is right near the Barking Dog, it's across the street from the Barnes and Noble.

Jeans at H20, I can't remember to tell you the truth, every time I go they tell me no cargo pants next time:).

Went out to Habana Village last night (Thursday). I had an EXCELLENT time. :) It's been years since I'd been out there, but it was a good time, and they were definitely in need of ladies. It was a blast!

And, I think I've gotten better since the last time I went out salsa dancing. I had more fun, followed better, and got some great compliments. :)

Just wanted to share. :)

I'm a On1 dancer. Although I live near D.C., I learned to Salsa in Baltimore, and have spent most of my time at Gardel's, Latin Palace, Club One and La Palapa. Everyone in Baltimore dances On1, and all of the classes are On1.

I've heard so much about a lot of On2 dancers in DC. I'd love to try On2, but I'm not sure where to go. I've been to Yuca and Lucky Bar, but haven't noticed anybody dancing On2. I haven't been to Habana, Barking Dog, Clarendon, or Divino's yet. Will I find the On2 folks at any of these places? Are they doing ET2, or Power2 etc.? Any lessons?

Beto

GTO Bruin said:
I'm a On1 dancer. Although I live near D.C., I learned to Salsa in Baltimore, and have spent most of my time at Gardel's, Latin Palace, Club One and La Palapa. Everyone in Baltimore dances On1, and all of the classes are On1.

I've heard so much about a lot of On2 dancers in DC. I'd love to try On2, but I'm not sure where to go. I've been to Yuca and Lucky Bar, but haven't noticed anybody dancing On2. I haven't been to Habana, Barking Dog, Clarendon, or Divino's yet. Will I find the On2 folks at any of these places? Are they doing ET2, or Power2 etc.? Any lessons?
You'll find on2 dancers at Yuca on Saturday nights. Tonight you can catch them at Caribben Breeze in Ballston (Arlington, Virginia). Plus you can see them out and about on Sunday at the various socials (either Mike's slammin' social at the former Polly Esther's on 12th and F) or Earl's social at Avenue - check www.stuckonsalsa.com for the right dates as they both alternate Sundays to not conflict). Monday nights at Clarendon Grill you'll find people dancing on2 though some, I'm not sure how many, might migrate to Lucky Bar later on in the night. I haven't been to Lucky Bar in years as it's just too crowded and the drinkers take up valuable real estate on the dance floor.

Power2 (2,3,4, 6,7,8) isn't taught in DC so far as I know. Everyone's teaching ET2. Lessons vary by night and I don't recall if it's taught at the clubs anymore. Psyon was teaching on2 at South Beach for a while but now he's running his student group on the same night a few blocks away so I think if you're looking for on2 lessons it'll be in the studios.

We will be in DC from February 17 (Friday) to 19 (Sunday). On Saturday (18) we will go the I Love Salsa concert at the Hyatt. What is a good place on a Friday night? We love salsa and we don't mind 100% salsa or as little as possible of the other stuff (merengue, bachata and especially reggeaton). Also, we prefer Puerto Rican salsa at moderate speed, not mambo or high speed salsa all night. I know, we sound picky. But I figure by narrowing it down you can give me a better suggestion on where to go on a Friday night.

We are planning to drive up there on Friday to make it a salsa weekend instead of a single salsa night. We feel deprived down here in Hampton Roads and would like to get a good salsa fix.

Beto

salsera_alemana said:
We will be in DC from February 17 (Friday) to 19 (Sunday). On Saturday (18) we will go the I Love Salsa concert at the Hyatt. What is a good place on a Friday night? We love salsa and we don't mind 100% salsa or as little as possible of the other stuff (merengue, bachata and especially reggeaton). Also, we prefer Puerto Rican salsa at moderate speed, not mambo or high speed salsa all night. I know, we sound picky. But I figure by narrowing it down you can give me a better suggestion on where to go on a Friday night.

We are planning to drive up there on Friday to make it a salsa weekend instead of a single salsa night. We feel deprived down here in Hampton Roads and would like to get a good salsa fix.
Friday night = Caribbean Breeze
Saturday night = Yuca though I have to warn you that after 12am the merengues, reggaeton and bachata become more frequent.
Sunday night = I'll have to get back to you on that after I've seen the calendar

Dance Ads