Salsa song with Rumba intro?

Twilight_Elena

I know it's a longshot, but there's this salsa song I've been looking for that starts out as a rumba and then goes into this great salsa. Unfortunately, I know nothing about this song (artist or title) so I'm relying on DFers' vast knowledge on salsa music. Anyone know anything about it?

Twilight Elena

jhb

Twilight_Elena said:
I know it's a longshot, but there's this salsa song I've been looking for that starts out as a rumba and then goes into this great salsa. Unfortunately, I know nothing about this song (artist or title) so I'm relying on DFers' vast knowledge on salsa music. Anyone know anything about it?

Twilight Elena
There are dozens!

One off the top of my head is "Nadie Se Salva De La Rumba" with Celia Cruz singing.

Twilight_Elena

I don't think it's Celia, her voice is easily recognisable. It sounds more like a male band/singer, perhaps something from Grupo Niche. Again, I can't know.
It's a very clear, classic Rumba intro. It can totally fool you into thinking this is a rumba and not a salsa.

Twilight Elena

Rumba intro salsa

A recent-ish one might be "Guaguanco con rumba" from the album "P'al Bailador" by Johnny Polanco y su Conjunto Amistad.

Loo

Twilight_Elena

The rumba intro is long, it's several metres into the song and it fools me every time. It sounds like "A Puro Dolor" - Son By Four (ballad/rumba version), in the way that it's a pretty standard sounding rumba. And then It does a small pause and hits into the salsa.
Drat. I hate how I can't sing it to you folks! :roll: Meanwhile I'm checking the songs you suggested to see if they're the one, thanks.

Twilight Elena

Twilight_Elena

Checked Lindo Yambu. Not at all what I had in mind, unfortunately. The intro was some sort of percussion mix, not at all a rumba.
Oh. Forgot to mention I'm talking about ballroom rumba but not a european pop style. More like "Alejate" by Josh Groban or "A Puro Dolor"(ballad version) which I mentioned before. Am I helping the identification any?
Oh, and in the salsa piece, there are trumpets. :roll: Very common of course, I know, but I hope it helps. Not every salsa song has trumpets.

Twilight Elena

jhb

I think we are misunderstanding you when you say "rumba". The percussive intro to Lindo Yambu is rumba. When you say "rumba" to a group of salseros, most of them are probably much more likely to think of actual rumba (the percussion-heavy, very African-sounding Cuban rumba). That's the rumba that's always talked about in the Salsa songs you hear at any rate ;)

Twilight_Elena said:
Checked Lindo Yambu. Not at all what I had in mind, unfortunately. The intro was some sort of percussion mix, not at all a rumba.
Oh. Forgot to mention I'm talking about ballroom rumba but not a european pop style. More like "Alejate" by Josh Groban or "A Puro Dolor"(ballad version) which I mentioned before. Am I helping the identification any?
Oh, and in the salsa piece, there are trumpets. :roll: Very common of course, I know, but I hope it helps. Not every salsa song has trumpets.

Twilight Elena

Twilight_Elena

jhb said:
I think we are misunderstanding you when you say "rumba". The percussive intro to Lindo Yambu is rumba. When you say "rumba" to a group of salseros, most of them are probably much more likely to think of actual rumba (the percussion-heavy, very African-sounding Cuban rumba). That's the rumba that's always talked about in the Salsa songs you hear at any rate ;)

Twilight_Elena said:

Twilight Elena
No no no, I'm not talking about that rumba! :? I said this above, I'm talking about ballroom rumba, the good old slow-quick quick ballroom style. It starts out just like "Besa me" or "La historia de un amor", good old classic ballroom rumba.

Twilight Elena

She is right! It is ballroom rumba! Elena and I were together when we first heard this song. The intro is quite long I think that it must be about one minute. Then there is a small pause 1-2 seconds and the salsa starts right away. The voice of the main male singer reminds me a lot of the voice of the male singer of Groupo Niche. When they do the phonetics their voices are almost the same. I do not know what else to say but I hope that I have helped you! :?
Next time I see the particular TJ I will ask him if he remembers the song. However, I am not that hopeful! :(

Anyway, thanks to everybody that tried to help us find this song :D :D
You are all amazing guys :friend:

Twilight_Elena

Yup, me and Sobrero are taking lesson together and we were both blown away by this song. It does remind me of Grupo Niche, but I haven't found it so far.
Any luck?

Twilight Elena

vey

jhb said:
Oh, that's exactly why I got "lured" into this thread :D
Ok, I'm out of here :wink:

pygmalion

And the other thing I think you're bumping into here is the definition of rumba -- Cuban (defined by a specific rhythm pattern) versus ballroom (defined by a tempo and feel.) So when you say rumba, some salsa purists are probably thinking about a much narrower range of songs than you intend. Just a thought. 8)

Dance Ads