Semi-dance-relevant apps

Hedwaite

I searched and found several posts on fitness apps and some others, so I thought about starting a dance music app thread before I realized that I use apps for more than just music in regards to dancing. Calendars, notepads, for scheduling and to-do, simple little rotation or unlock widgets, weather for traveling to and from studios, etc.

Decided to start this with music-related app questions though.

I'm one of those odd people who need portable dance music for various reasons and have an external speaker which I use in congruence with my phone. It's easier for me to use the music on my phone than to fiddle with all the settings of the studio's setup or wag around a CD player and CDs (do they still make those things?). I'm familiar with the layout, etc. and I want to be able to trot over, push a button, and go.

The problem I've ran into is that now that I have a better-than-yours cellphone, AudioShift, the tempo adjuster I'd been using, hasn't made the upgrade yet. Do any of you have a tempo adjustment app you prefer?

I liked Audioshift because you could use one media player app and Audioshift worked in the background- it was very simple and straightforward. I haven't found another like that. AstroPlayer is very customizeable, but there are one or two things about it I don't like, and there are too many "steps" to "just play the damn music already." WinAmp doesn't do well adjusting tempo without sacrificing pitch as well.

Suggestions?

I use Tempo Slow on my iPod Touch to adjust a song's tempo as it's playing. It's free, fairly easy to use and has several nifty features, such as the ability to set markers where you want the song to start/end as well as loop markers that allow you to repeat a portion of the song ad infinitum. There are some paid (but cheap) add-ons with extra features such as setting up playlists and a beat-per-minute counter. It's not perfect. I've encountered a couple of bugs that necessitated terminating the app and re-starting it.

I use BPM, which is a very simple beat-per-minute detector that works by tapping to the beat of the music.

To identify songs, I use Shazam and Soundhound.

For playing music, I use the Spotify app, as most of my music resides in Spotify playlists.

YouTube, of course for watching dance videos, competitions, etc.

I use the Livestream app to play competition videos from the ParadigmDigital channel. They have a good selection of archived videos as well as the live ones.

I use VideoZoom2 to record videos. I like that it has a zoom feature, which the native video recorder lacks.

TuneIn Radio has a couple of ballroom radio stations that I listen to, as well as other genres.

Hedwaite

I'll have to check into both Videozoom2 and Coaches Eye. I think those would be handy.

For my music player, I've been going back and forth between TinyPlayer and Astroplayer for android, because I'm weird and do folders instead of playlists, unless it's a party. Everyone swears by spotify, and now that I have a phone with more space, I shall try it.

Hedwaite

Cellphones (iPhones, more popularly) have become our students' best notebooks. At the start of an introduction, you hear a chorus of "ding!", and then it's utter silence.

I was just stoked to find an "unlock screen" widget the other day so that when I take notes or use my phone for music, I don't have to hastily swipe and reswipe three whole precious seconds to unlock my phone screen. Lazy, I know.

Now, I'm looking for a better weather app than MyCast (something that's more offline-friendly) and offline maps, maybe GPS for our journeys.

Hedwaite

So what's up with both Forum Fiend and Tapatalk? It's not just here- it's also one of my other lurked forums.

I also currently love eWeather, GreenPower, and AppGratis.

I have a windows phone. tried their version of coaches eye called video coach. the video is all jerky and stutters back and forth. I am assuming coaches eye does not do this?

Hedwaite

I wanted to like my windows phone (two phones ago, so maybe they've changed? Hope so) so much, but I just couldn't. It was so difficult to install programs on, the task manager was a beast, etc.

Now that you mention it, ALL video on my windows phone was jerky- I wonder if it's their thing? Wishing you luck on that. Just got coaches eye, looking forward to using it soon.

I still wish they'd update AudioShift. That was the most useful app I had.

Hedwaite

I have a couple folks with timing issues. Going to see how it helps to have just the metronome itself going, then work up from there. I know "just metronome" helped me when I was learning a difficult Mozart piece in school quite a lot. Or maybe that was the "gosh darnit!! No!" after the butchering of a whole string of arpeggios.

Hedwaite

I love Jorte Calendar (android), but I'm having problems syncing its calendar with my partner's account. He can't see what I've added/edited, no matter what I do. I wanted to switch to google, but... I'm ashamed to admit I like jorte for the adorable icons. Does anyone else use jorte with one or more people, and can you share how to do that the right way?

I have a couple folks with timing issues. Going to see how it helps to have just the metronome itself going, then work up from there. I know "just metronome" helped me when I was learning a difficult Mozart piece in school quite a lot. Or maybe that was the "gosh darnit!! No!" after the butchering of a whole string of arpeggios.
Give Dancetime Deluxe a look. A metronome including a database of rhythms, counts and adjustable tempos…

Hedwaite

LOVE Coach's Eye! OMG, you can DRAW on your VIDEO? This rocks!

Ahem- now I "have" to buy a tablet, though, you know, because it makes it easier to see. Crucial to my dancing, you know.

Hedwaite

I just found a replacement (for now) to AudioShift. Audipo is a player with built-in audio tempo adjustment. It's not as easy to use as AudioShift, but it'll do until hopefully AudioShift gets with the times.

Dance Ads