Sergey Surkov & Melia - Rumba

etp777

Absolutely amazing international rumba by Sergey and Melia, and my new favorite latin showdance. great dancing in general, but way choreography(including styling, facial expressions, etc) matches the lyrics is just great.

[yt]KZuGZkAENFI[/yt]

Absolutely amazing international rumba by Sergey and Melia, and my new favorite latin showdance. great dancing in general, but way choreography(including styling, facial expressions, etc) matches the lyrics is just great.

These two have been my favourite professional latin couple for so long now... and I agree, that is, by far, the best showcase routine I've seen them do.

I wish so badly to dance like Sergey (and have a figure like him wouldn't hurt, either)

etp777

I'd never come across them before, but one of pros at studio mentioned them today and dug up video. Was hugely impressed by their dancing even without being able to hear music. Dug up the video when I got home, and was just dumbstruck. This is exactly reason I love really good TA (and hate cabaret that's just couple pantomiming sex). When a couple isn't just capturing emotion of the music, but essence of the lyrics, speaks to me.

I'd never come across them before, but one of pros at studio mentioned them today and dug up video. Was hugely impressed by their dancing even without being able to hear music. Dug up the video when I got home, and was just dumbstruck. This is exactly reason I love really good TA (and hate cabaret that's just couple pantomiming sex). When a couple isn't just capturing emotion of the music, but essence of the lyrics, speaks to me.

[FONT=&quot]I’ve seen them dance their showpieces live, and they’re just incredible. Sergey has to be one of the most masculine men in dance, and Melia is a very strong counterpart – I find them to be very physical dancers, but have a great deal of impact.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

sergey's style is great. he is Donnie's student and really maintains the classic latin feel. one of my teachers was sergey's student and it was interesting to see just how different the styling was even in the basic actions.

Bella

Beautiful. It's not the technicality of this rumba that captured me... it's the artistry... I love Donnie's teaching, he emphasizes the artistry of dancing. This was a wonderful video, thanks for sharing!

I was just telling someone the other day how at USDSC a few years ago, I was completely drawn in by Sergey from across the room and ended up watching him the whole time even though his back was to me most of the time and Slavik & Elena were right in front of me. And I saw him in Europe when he was an amateur and still remember that comp even though 2 of my favorite couples (Dmitry Timokhin & Anna Bezikohov and Klaus Kongsdahl & Viktoria Franova) were there and placed ahead of him and Melia. They did start w/ Donnie and were his demo couple, too, and they might still be considered Donnie's students, but they are definitely w/ Hans and Bryan now.

Angel HI

OK. Let me play devil's advocate here. Perhaps a good thread would be "What Makes A Good Rumba?".

Now, I like the couple...liked the dance...loved the story. When exactly did the rumba become less soft and more run-run-run-stop; (pregnant stare at floor); run-jerk-snap-pose; (pretentious waving of the arms)? Again, this has little to do w/ this couple's interpretation, albeit if the shoe fits..., but more to do w/ today's accepted style of rumba?

On a more pragmatic note, I do not understand ETP's post, 'This is the reason I like really good TA..." There isn't any TA in this particular clip. And again, know that I am not bashing this couple or disagreeing w/ anyone here...just playing the advocate to acquire some insight into the current think trend.

at the very least its an amazing demonstration of body control. their syncrhonicity is fabulous as is every body motion - nothing was out. This alone makes you hold your breath watching them. I think the musicality - for their style - was also fantastic. I would say that their dancing is truly a tour de force. However, what it missed for me (and maybe thats what AH is alluding to) is emotional expression. That was sacrificed to some extent for the accuracy. I did not get the inner energy or sexuality that would place this at the top of my list.....

etp777

Have to read the whole post, angel HI. :) was saying that they captured the lyrics too, not just the style, of the song, and that that's somethign that in my mind distinguishes good ta from bad ta/cabaret. TA happened to be on my mind as former pro and her partner are debuting their TA partnership this weekend at st louis. Bit of a long chain of thought, but there was some reasoning behind my comment. :)

I agree, Sergey and Melia are amazing.
I would say that it is the fact that their dancing is very authentic, very old school, REAL latin. Reminds of Donnie, Paul, Alan---

GJB

Now, I like the couple...liked the dance...loved the story. When exactly did the rumba become less soft and more run-run-run-stop; (pregnant stare at floor); run-jerk-snap-pose; (pretentious waving of the arms)? Again, this has little to do w/ this couple's interpretation, albeit if the shoe fits..., but more to do w/ today's accepted style of rumba?
Is this good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_kQxuddtA (1983 World Championships - Rumba)

Looks like there was a lot of arm waving and looking at the ceiling back then too !

Show us some examples of what you think a good Rumba looks like.

Angel HI

Is this good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07_kQxuddtA (1983 World Championships - Rumba) Show us some examples of what you think a good Rumba looks like.
Well, I agree...this isn't all that great either. Yes, it's softer, but I didn't think the latin was greatly defined/developed. I will try to find something for you, but know, please, that I didn't say that the orig vid is bad.
What I said was that the style of rumba has definitely changed (IMO, more than other dances), and that the one discussed, albeit good, seemed a bit too forceful for rumba (the current trend), and she stares at the floor alot (also, seemingly, a very popular thing to do).

Again, overall, I like it, though.

Bella

IMO, the dance itself means so much more than that. Maybe not sexy enough... maybe not the most perfect execution we've seen.... yet, it is a breathtaking rumba. The artistry really touches me... it's flawless. :)

ps. - DONNIE'S AWESOMMMMEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dance Ads