Shagstory

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Maybe you East Coasters can help me with this one.

The book Shagging in the Carolinas says that there were shag contests "every summer from 1929, they never made the local papers" until 1932. Wrightsville Beach and Wilmington are mentioned.
In 1929 someone from one of the press agencies reported the Shag being done in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

I'm wondering about population centers and popularity of those locations (but sort of back in the late 20s, which makes it pretty obscure) and what the chances are that the dance would spread in one year and be noticed in Virginia, but no one noted it in "the Carolinas."
Note that when the Big Apple hit in 1937, no one mistook where it came from, and peopel seemed to be aware the the Charleston had roots in that city back in the 20s.

I drove from PA to Florida once, and that's about all the time I spent south of the panhandle of West Virginia, (well, except being IN Florida, oh, and New Orleans, and limited to the U.S.)
so any perspectives would be welcome.

tangotime

Maybe you East Coasters can help me with this one.

The book Shagging in the Carolinas says that there were shag contests "every summer from 1929, they never made the local papers" until 1932. Wrightsville Beach and Wilmington are mentioned.
In 1929 someone from one of the press agencies reported the Shag being done in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

I'm wondering about population centers and popularity of those locations (but sort of back in the late 20s, which makes it pretty obscure) and what the chances are that the dance would spread in one year and be noticed in Virginia, but no one noted it in "the Carolinas."
Note that when the Big Apple hit in 1937, no one mistook where it came from, and peopel seemed to be aware the the Charleston had roots in that city back in the 20s.

I drove from PA to Florida once, and that's about all the time I spent south of the panhandle of West Virginia, (well, except being IN Florida, oh, and New Orleans, and limited to the U.S.)
so any perspectives would be welcome.

Steve, I can tell you this ; "Shag " is huge in Ga, and Carolina . I worked in Wilmington in the early 80s ,and Va, beach, but have no recognition of shag being danced/taught ( that's not to say it wasn't ) .
In Atlanta, there are/were weekly classes, very well attended..

Dance Ads