Should you use heel leads in Country Two-Step?

Do you use heel leads or toe leads for forward steps in Country Two-Step?

• Total voters

Steve Pastor

Staff member
OK, I'll bite, finally...

When CW became popular during the 1980 - Urban Cowboy days, cowboy style, or Texas style was valued by some (I see this in a Masters thesis on dancing in LA). Wearing cowboy boots affects the way you walk and the way you dance, even if the heels aren't "high". As time went by people who competed, and people with a ballroom background, had their infulence on the dance, and it became more "ballroom" like." Some of us (social dancers) still dance "red neck style".

I also learned recently that a "heel lead" is not near as severe as I had also thought. A nearly flat foot counts as "heel lead", according to Skippy Blair.

tangotime

I also learned recently that a "heel lead" is not near as severe as I had also thought.

A nearly flat foot counts as "heel lead", according to Skippy Blair.
Even when using a heel lead, the weight is advanced to the Ball of that foot in a continuing action.

I do take some issue with "coupling" " Flat " with" Heel" ,they are technically 2 different actions and are specified as such. I do undersatand what she is trying to convey, but a slippery slope at best .

Steve Pastor

Staff member
More specifically, she said that the 'heel strike' is on the front part of the heel, rather than the back part.
But, for me that larger point is, that this applies ballroom precision to what I consider to be a social dance.
And, if you are wearing "real" cowboy boots you have heel slippage, and what happens happens. Now, if you are wearing "made for dancing" boots like Evenin Star, you have more control over how your foot/boot lands.

"In essence, when a "fun" leisure activity becomes work, it is no longer fun."
from a new book
Country & Western Dance By Ralph G. Giordano

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Regarding that photograph... Think of it like "stage country western dancing", just like "stage tango". Or better yet Two step for export. I like that one.

Looks they they are "buckle polishing" rather than two steppin.

tangotime

More specifically, she said that the 'heel strike' is on the front part of the heel, rather than the back part.

But, for me that larger point is, that this applies ballroom precision to what I consider to be a social dance.
I see your point Steve, but good technique should enhance execution, not hinder .

As to the front heel comment.. I think you would need to be a foot contortionist to do that !!

kayak

Hi, I am no C2S dancer but I saw many couples on YT dancing in fine C&W costumes. So may it also be a question if the guy is wearing cowboy boots with high heels?
It doesn't make a huge difference. Just the weight and flexibility of a real boot vs a dance boot. Also, the hats really don't interfere much either except maybe for a few of the European dancers that really like BIG hats. The main thing with hats is it is good to practice with them a bit. It is amazing how our bodies have to adjust a little to the size of the lead necessary to clear my own head vs clear a hat.

What I learned regarding the heal lead is basically the way Lrn2Dnc is describing.

I learned in Houston, TX during the URBAN COWBOY days of country dancing. In two-step and polka we slide our feet 90% of the time; when doing patterns like the laced whip (now called the weave I believe) on the 1st Quick the foot would leave the floor and would land on the ball of the foot because a spin or turn was being done. Oh how I miss those days of dancing when the clubs were full of people having fun doing lead-follow dancing.

Dance Ads