Silly things non-dancers say

bia

"You're a natural."

I mean, I get that this is intended to be a compliment, but no, I'm not a natural. I may have some natural talent, but I work my *ss off to be able to dance like that, spending huge amounts of time, money and energy going over and over and over the tiniest of movements to be able to replicate them perfectly without fail in stressful situations. I think what you meant to say was "you made that look so natural and easy".

(I just said "thank you".)
This ties into the dancing-at-weddings theme, too. Our wedding guests were maybe 1/4 dancers (we met at the studio, after all), and most of the non-dancer guests were also happy to dance, but I know at least a few (well, at least one, my aunt, who said so) didn't dance because they thought the dancers would be judging them. That viewpoint really frustrates me. Dancers are the ones who know how much time and effort it takes to dance like we do, and of course we're not going to judge people who haven't put in that time and effort if they don't magically dance as if they have!

stash

^This!

Or like when my cousin got married, I was invited by I wasn't allowed to bring a plus one. And it wasn't a dancers wedding so I didn't have anyone to dance with, and everyone kept coming up to me saying why aren't you dancing...

twnkltoz

^This!

Or like when my cousin got married, I was invited by I wasn't allowed to bring a plus one. And it wasn't a dancers wedding so I didn't have anyone to dance with, and everyone kept coming up to me saying why aren't you dancing...
I've gotten that, too. Um...who am I supposed to dance with?

IndyLady

LOL, there is a major argument about this in my FB feed right now between two of my friends. The single one advocating the above, the about-to-be-married one in full-on "it's my special day and if you refuse to share it b/c you don't get a +1 then #byefelicia" bridezilla mode.

danceronice

^This!

"Why aren't you asking?" Seriously, I appreciate not allowing people to bring random dates to weddings (serious long-term relationships, the partner's name should be on the invitation) but then if you want people to dance, there's gonna have to be some mingling....

twnkltoz

LOL, there is a major argument about this in my FB feed right now between two of my friends. The single one advocating the above, the about-to-be-married one in full-on "it's my special day and if you refuse to share it b/c you don't get a +1 then #byefelicia" bridezilla mode.
I can sympathize with the bridezilla here. Weddings are expensive, and if you have to cull your list and not invite someone you know and would want there so someone can bring a random date you don't know. Maybe not even someone particularly close or important to said guest.

IndyLady

I can sympathize with the bridezilla here. Weddings are expensive, and if you have to cull your list and not invite someone you know and would want there so someone can bring a random date you don't know. Maybe not even someone particularly close or important to said guest.
I'm old school, I guess I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with this new etiquette. It probably didn't help that the quote above was pretty much verbatim (including the hashtag - first time anyone I know has actually used that in actual conversation).

twnkltoz

I remember having this discussion on the wedding forum when i was planning my 2002 wedding...so it's not *that* new. And not everyone has an issue with it. More people who have large families, I suppose.

IndyLady

Interesting, I guess I missed that. I got married a few years after you did and I hadn't seen anything to the contrary, was still running with the assumption that +1's were expected. Wonder what else is going on now that I will be up to speed with in 10 years...

Loki

Destination wedding. Those that wants, pays. And if you are absolutely dedicated to getting some poor relative there, you pay their way without announcing it.

If you think pro-am dancing is a racket, take a look at the U.S. wedding industry. Those boys REALLY know how to play people's emotions...

IndyLady

Good thing he didn't ask you to dance then!

We have two new(er) guys that are at the hopeless level. They could be good, but they're the type that doesn't care. I think that's even worse.
Tbh, I didn't figure it all out until I was in my car on the way home. I was initially puzzled, just mumbled thank you... I had danced a waltz and a V. waltz but they were nothing to write home about... I was thinking, what I really nailed was the bolero - instructor and I were practicing upcoming upcoming Showcase routine choreo (there were only a handful of couples on the floor, bolero is not a crowd favorite and the floor tends to empty, esp as there were more new folks than usual last night)... then it sank in...

He and I danced hustle at the very end (which led into this convo), he was decent. If he and his wife/SO can get past the initial sticker shock perhaps we will be dancing at future parties.

JoeB

I asked her (a lifelong musician, who double majored in flute and organ in college, and who taught piano for 30 years) if she would say her students knew everything to know about playing piano after 20 hours of lessons. She got the point very quickly.
That's odd. I learned everything I need to know about playing piano in around 5 hours of lessons; I'm no good at it and don't have room for a piano anyway, and that's all I need to know about it.

Dance Ads