Silver standard Routine (attached)

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
yes.

I continually get students that came from a certain coach and they cannot lead or tell me the difference between those two patterns. They interchange the names, timings, and rise and falls, footwork, and follows. And I spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to decipher which pattern they are using and helping them untangle their confusion.

Seriously. If you are going to do SQQ then you might as well call it a hover telemark.

Last edited:

dlliba10

If you do a hover telemark at the end of the third wall and you're adhering to the book, you'd need to change up the start of the fourth wall if doing a proper hover telemark, no? Since it would end DW of the new wall?

Mengu

If you do a hover telemark at the end of the third wall and you're adhering to the book, you'd need to change up the start of the fourth wall if doing a proper hover telemark, no? Since it would end DW of the new wall?
Yup. I wouldn't try a 1/2 turn on hover telemark.

Good point. Me there. I do like the hover telemark, but won’t work well there.

Dr Dance

So you've danced a hover telemark near the end of your third wall and you are facing DW. What to do? Depends upon the level of dance and the space left to your nearest wall. Your right foot is now free. Therefore, you probably would consider dancing a natural or syncopated reverse figure. Caveat: I plead total ignorance of what "the book" names as "eligible figures" in such situations. For my answers, I'm taking the liberty of throwing "the book" away! I apologize for this in advance.

Bronze: Forget about it! You've been disqualified because "hover telemark" is a silver figure. End of issue. Unless it's a showcase, not a comp. Then just dance a natural turn to a closed impetus.

Silver: If you are very close to the wall now, just dance a natural weave. Otherwise, dance the bronze solution above. Instead of a closed impetus after the natural, you could opt for an open impetus instead. Then dance a weave from promenade.

Gold: Any of the above solutions work. Or you could dance a curving feather to back feather with feather finish if there's room. Or a curved feather to either closed or open impetus. Or a natural twist turn to natural weave finish.

Open: Any of the above solutions work. How about a running feather, heel pull, and hover feather? Or you could dance a double natural spin turn to closed wing. Or a check to a reverse impetus. Or a running change of direction. Or a zig zag from outside partner position. There are lots of choices.

That'll be $85.

...The 1/2 turn variation, DW to DCnewLOD, is pretty dang hard...
Well that explains why I find it so difficult! That one makes me feel squished (as lady). That's the "U turn in the corner" one, right? I do find that one more difficult than the DW to DC along a wall (not in a corner). But I'd not heard it was supposed to be difficult. As lead that U-turn one does not give me any trouble at all, only as lady. As lead, it is my go-to figure if there is not room enough to do a three step and natural figure in the corner.

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Right, as a lead you are on the outside of the of the turn. So if you cross the center line of the partnership to the inside it doesn't really feel that bad... to you. But for the follow, who is on the inside, when a lead cuts across your space and falls inside the circumference you are screwed.

With the 1/4 by the book there is very little chance for the lead to drift across the center line because he is more concerned with the side action. But with the 1/2 variation he quite literally turns around and moves directly into the follows space while she is trying to make a side action... no bueno.

Dance Ads