Slavik & Anna

samina

and...you're serious? alba, they look like kids flouncing about in their front yards compared to the refined technical mastery represented by slavik & anna.

this is apples and unripe oranges, IMO.

Nybz

I'll second the apples to oranges. I would most definitely not call Slavik and Anna grotesque, far from it in fact :D

Thanks for posting those videos Masaya, I look forward to watching them when I have the time later.

ETA: I missed the unripe part, I agree with that too :D

samina

it's hard to take anyone seriously who would call slavik or anna "grotesque".

alba, for someone who emphasizes so rigorously how much time you spend "watching others dance" and taking apparent pleasure evaluating their ability to do so, it does make me wonder what on earth you see. technical ability, dance ability, musicality, connection, artistry, nuance, control... recognize these in one form and i think you can pretty much recognize some semblance of it across the board.

these are two of the most elite latin dancers on the planet, expressing beauty & dynamism at a high level in their chosen art form. it may not be *your* favorite style, but... "grotesque"? are you purposely trying to alienate yourself from the community here?

CANI

it's hard to take anyone seriously who would call slavik or anna "grotesque".

um...also hard to take anyone seriously who would call the other two dancers "kids flouncing about in their front yards"

It is art...people enjoy what they enjoy...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...for me, I found I had to force myself to continue watching the OP's videos until the end...none of them were my cup of tea...and, in the event slavik or anna is reading this -- please, no offense intended, I have no doubt you are beautiful, amazing, technical dancers -- just everyone has what they enjoy watching...

Nybz

um...also hard to take anyone seriously who would call the other two dancers "kids flouncing about in their front yards"

It is art...people enjoy what they enjoy...beauty is in the eye of the beholder...for me, I found I had to force myself to continue watching the OP's videos until the end...none of them were my cup of tea...and, in the event slavik or anna is reading this -- please, no offense intended, I have no doubt you are beautiful, amazing, technical dancers -- just everyone has what they enjoy watching...
If I read Samina's post correctly, I don't think she meant anything against those dancers. But as I watched them, to me they looked like they haven't been dancing long, they seemed a bit hesitant, and if we are talking technically I would almost say sloppy.
I did enjoy both Slavik and Annas, and the others cabaret though.

samina

alba offered up his video as a comparison of dancing which i infer he finds superior, and that was the context of my own remark. personally, i found the dancing in his video very pleasing to the eye, quite enjoyable... i did not insult it or say i didn't appreciate it. but as a comparison... it's completely left-field, and the dancers have less mastery as athletes and artists. as a comparison, the flouncing analogy conveys the difference in their level of accomplishment, as well as the completely different style of dance.

of course, CANI. i don't think i have any reputation here as being offended by or disallowing others their opinions, likes, and dislikes. i'm not offended about different preferences in dance.

but it's one thing to say, "i don't care for this style, this is more to my taste." to write something off as "grotesque" in an inflammatory manner about dancers at that level, and give such a bizarre alternative example... meh... i'm calling it out and would like him to explain himself.

samina

that was may fave as well, rainerng... *wow*! anna just knocks my socks off. in fact, i find i am rarely watching slavik because she draws my attention so much. that's quite an achievement. *grin*

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Alba, you make me laugh. There is no way on earth anyone could ever offer up a legitimate comparison between those two couples... Not only are the styles are so entirely different that is impossible... but the technical mastery not even remotely close.

Find the best ballet/lyrical dancers in the world and put those videos up, then we can more evenly compare the two styles. Because certainly then each style has it equal merits. But this was not only not a good example but one that kinda lowers the value people will ascribe of your knowledge because it is so far off the mark.

*edit* actually DON'T post ballet videos and ask us to compare them. We have enough threads around here with people bashing styles they can't appreciate without starting another.

samina

Masaya, the samba vid is going on my FB page tomorrow... I'm still just blown away by it. Thank you for posting it!

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
I just posted the rumba on FB. And I tell you what... I had officially sworn off of ever dating latin dancers again.... but he could easily change my mind!

CANI

Alba, you make me laugh. There is no way on earth anyone could ever offer up a legitimate comparison between those two couples... Not only are the styles are so entirely different that is impossible... but the technical mastery not even remotely close.

Find the best ballet/lyrical dancers in the world and put those videos up, then we can more evenly compare the two styles. Because certainly then each style has it equal merits. But this was not only not a good example but one that kinda lowers the value people will ascribe of your knowledge because it is so far off the mark.
/OT
I'm not advocating a debate on different dancers/styles in a thread that the OP has designed to discuss one couple dancing...however, I have to disagree about the no way anyone could offer up a legitimate comparison...I'll prepare for my neck to get chopped...but as a work of art, as a thing of beauty, as something that evokes emotion from the audience...as two people showing emotion...as something that displays the connection between two human beings...they can be compared, and the other two dancers, IMO, take the cake hands down...again, no offense to slavik and anna...

/BOT...sorry, once again, Masaya...

etp777

Except that that's an subjective assessment, and every watcher will have a different opinion (Not judging either way myself, not gonna watch the videos until later :) ). Just saying, Larinda is right, you can't really objectively compare two things that different. imho I see this a lot in professional showdance events at various comps. It seems time and again that even the best "traditional" showdances (smooth/rhythm/latin/standard), can never compare to the cabaret/TA. It's not that the TA numbers are necessraily better (Unless it's m y TA couple, of course ;) ), but jsut that the mediums are so different,a nd TA tends to be so much more dramatic, it just will always catch more attention/generate more response.

CANI

Except that that's an subjective assessment, and every watcher will have a different opinion (Not judging either way myself, not gonna watch the videos until later :) ). Just saying, Larinda is right, you can't really objectively compare two things that different. imho I see this a lot in professional showdance events at various comps. It seems time and again that even the best "traditional" showdances (smooth/rhythm/latin/standard), can never compare to the cabaret/TA. It's not that the TA numbers are necessraily better (Unless it's m y TA couple, of course ;) ), but jsut that the mediums are so different,a nd TA tends to be so much more dramatic, it just will always catch more attention/generate more response.
OT/but if I'm reading Larinda right, she is saying you can make a comparison if you choose the best ballet/lyrical dancers...

/BOT

Larinda McRaven

Site Moderator
Staff member
Cani, nope, I don't think you are sticking your neck out. Your opinion is yours, that's cool.

And yes, as a work of art and emotion they both can pull heart strings. In fact I just kept watching the rumba at 4:15-4:30 because I love the feeling it gives me to watch him treat her so special, and that isn't even "the dancing" but it certainly is "the show".

samina

And yes, as a work of art and emotion they both can pull heart strings.
i agree as well, certainly on that level.

for me, there's no comparison in this regard... the samba and the romantic connection between them in the rumba both blow me away. the other couple is sweet but... just much cooler and less connected IMO, less compelling for me.

as far as what floats one's boat artistically, everyone's moved by different things.

Dance Ads