"Slow and passionless" Tango Music

TomTango

A while back I came across a discussion on this article on common DJ mistakes:

http://pocpal.blogspot.mk/2016/04/5-most-common-mistakes-djs-are-making.html

In the discussion the most agreed with and emphasized point was #4, copied here:

"4. Slowing down – I've heard this many times and, in my experience, it is nothing but a myth: when the people are tired, you should calm down the energy of your set. As far as I am concerned, the truth is the opposite – when people are tired, the DJ needs to give them extra energy with his/her set. If people are tired, they can dance slow, even on a very energetic music, but nothing drains the mood of the milonga more than slow and passionless music. In my opinion this is number one mood killer on international events."

Discussion questions I'm interested in:
  • Do you agree with this statement?
  • If so, when is the appropriate time to play low-energy tango songs?
  • Does low energy=slow? Is late Di Sarli low energy?
  • What tango music would you consider passionless?
One thing I personally don't agree with is it's satisfying or easy to dance slowly to energetic music. I've tried after a DJ played too many rhythmic sets in a row, and it's not fun. You feel disconnected from the music and worry that your partner is wondering what the heck you're doing.

dchester

Staff member
"4. Slowing down – I've heard this many times and, in my experience, it is nothing but a myth: when the people are tired, you should calm down the energy of your set. As far as I am concerned, the truth is the opposite – when people are tired, the DJ needs to give them extra energy with his/her set. If people are tired, they can dance slow, even on a very energetic music, but nothing drains the mood of the milonga more than slow and passionless music.
My Answer: No

His preferences are different from mine, as an"Extra Energy" tanda is the last thing I'd want. Just because it's possible to dance slow to energetic music, doesn't mean it's desirable.

For whatever reason, he considers slow songs to be passionless. For me, a good slow connection song has a more passion than most lively songs.

• If so, when is the appropriate time to play low-energy tango songs?
  • Does low energy=slow? Is late Di Sarli low energy?
  • What tango music would you consider passionless?

No.
N/A but I have to say I can't see the logic of your "if so" here
No.
Di Sarli, you answered it yourself

TomTango

No.
N/A but I have to say I can't see the logic of your "if so" here
No.
Di Sarli, you answered it yourself
My logic is that the author argued that you shouldn't play slow tangos if you think people are tired, but didn't argue that you shouldn't play them at all. So given this constraint, when would be the next best time to play slow tangos?

Also, do you consider ALL Di Sarli passionless?

Dance Ads