Slow motion Milonga

jantango

This slow motion video gives the impression that Milonga is all about butt wiggling, lifting the feet on every step, high kicks, heel tips off the floor, upper chest contact only with the woman off to the side, bent knees, and a multitude of patterns in one 3-minute dance. This is nothing like the way it is danced in BsAs milongas. That's because this couple are marketing steps to foreigners.

Mladenac

This slow motion video gives the impression that Milonga is all about butt wiggling, lifting the feet on every step, high kicks, heel tips off the floor, upper chest contact only with the woman off to the side, bent knees, and a multitude of patterns in one 3-minute dance. This is nothing like the way it is danced in BsAs milongas. That's because this couple are marketing steps to foreigners.
This couple hasn't been performing for a long time.
And I notice quite good musicality in their performance.

JohnEm

Leaving aside any prejudices you might have against Jantango's views,
don't you think this dancing is rather grotesque? Contorted bodies,
head contact rather than much body contact, butts out and legs bent,
postures which limit disociation which is not much in evidence at all.

It looks somewhat like a caricature but seems to be being taken seriously.

I wouldn't want to dance in this way, nor have a partner who threatens
everyone around her with every step. As role models, they are not good.

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I'm going to see you. And raise you two (couples).

As much as I cherish my experience in Buenos Aires, I enjoy this sort of energetic, highly musical, and eclectic approach to milonga.
Notice that in the handful of instances where these couples move outside of the dance space they "pass without wake" members of the audience and the hats on the ground.
I note, too, that they are using the phrasing the same way I do, often simply walking during the mellow passages.
(I really like the one delay delay STEP thing the one couple did.)

Rather than being a caricature, I see it as a throwback to the elements of AT that had to be abandoned or greatly restricted due to the crowded conditions in the center of BA.
As I've stated before, more than once, if there is room on the floor, and this sort of energy in the music, I'm going to use it; if I have a partner who is willing, another sometimes prohibitive requirement.

If I haven't lost it, there's something I will post in another thread regarding this.

Mladenac

I'm going to see you. And raise you two (couples).

It seems that guys are much better dancers than the ladies in the video. ;)
As a tourist and as a dancer I would give them some money. :)

Some elements from first part are not suitable for milonga, but what I saw that the 1st guy wouldn't have problem at all in crowded milongas.

JohnEm

Isn´t dance professional a honorable profession? Very often street performances are more profitable than educating students inside. Known dancers as El Indio or Juan Segui still show their tricks on the streets of La Boca.
I don't see what your point is!

I never said anything about it being honorable (or even dishonorable!)
which isn't relevant either way. However Steve aspires to be a social dancer
and street dancing, often being a wild exaggeration for the purpose of entertainment,
has almost no relevance to that at all.

sixela

You have Lost It!!!!
Apparently, we all have. Even if we don't dance this way, the mere fact we find other styles anything other than utterly contemptible is enough to prove our loss of sanity, so...

Dance Ads