So ... how was your dance weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Owl

Vince A said:
Yea . . . totally inspired, but intimidated no less . . . she is a several times over world (depending on "your" world) champion with her partner, so I was so intent on frame, connection, counting (all things I do naturally and correctly and don't think about while dancing) that I appeared nervous . . . which I was!!!

But she was easy on me . . . remembered me taking privates with her years ago before she was so well known . . . I had a huge smile on my face!

You still playing guitar???
Yup, stilll playing geetarr (just bought a nylon-string with built in preamp), I got a new CD out in January, and now working on a new one:

www.cdbaby.com/all/theowl

And still managing to get out and dance on a weekly basis now.

latingal

I normally do not social dance, practicing for competitve dancing usually takes up most my time. Went to an event this weekend though, resigned to watching everybody have a good time....

I was a lucky gal, a really great leader asked me to dance 3 or 4 dances even though I don't know most of the social dances. He was good enough to laugh off the multiple times I missed the lead (lessening my embarrassment greatly) and I had a wonderful time. Makes me almost think there's hope for me yet as a social dancer....

for sure!

i had a GREAT start to my weekend last night at my regular thursday club night. i've mentioned that a bunch of us hired a styling teacher whom we ADORE and whose dancing i practically worship... we've been working with her for like 8 months now. anyway last night she performed (a fairly rare occurence) and tore the place UP.

the crowd here is quite jaded (to say the least) but they had to give her props. me and a classmate yelled for her the whole time, and afterward i babbled to anyone who would listen, THAT WAS MY TEACHER, YO!!

it was very late by the time they went on - 1 AM, maybe - but i had to stay and dance off some of that energy after their number. MAD inspiring.

(i saw all the things she emphasizes to us every week plainly evident in her dancing and i experienced the effect of executing the way she wants - it was mesmerizing as an audience member. lesson learned.)

latingal

alemana said:
for sure!
Thanks for the positive thought alemana...I hope you're right. Sometimes I think the collective thought that most of the leaders have after seeing me try to follow at a social dance is to move to the other side of the room! ;)

Glad you had such an inspiring dance event this weekend! Go to it!

chachachacat

I had a great night dancing tonight! Beautiful venue, nice big floor, good music, fun partners, close friends! I had a lot of stamina and danced a lot.
I did half a dance each on samba, one salsa, one quickstep, one WCSwing. I know when to say when.
FUN!!! I love, love, love the cha cha! And I love foxtrot, love those slows, mmm hmmm.
Yay! Happy.:D

Only too bad it was my going away party.:( I'll have to find a new scene when I move, new people to dance with.
"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got till it's gone..."
I love my friends.:friend:

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
dh and I took a fun lesson with a couple of new instructors last night for his birthday...always nice to try someone new...hopefully a lesson with my regular pro today...will see...

luh

fine - charleston workshop on thursday, social night on friday, social dancing in the streets today, and tonight there are two parties, but i'm ready for some good sleep! i havent slept much, and i need plenty ofsleep!
luh

Phil Owl

Well., I'm actually taking this weekend off and flying to upstate NY for a 4 day vacation, visiting an old musician buddy of mine who wants me to play on his next CD. It'll be nice to get away from civilization at large for a few days (this is WAAAYYY out in the sticks, 60 miles from Albany). And I'll get to hear some of my feathered friends at night.

Next week I shall return to the parquet! :mrgreen:

luh said:
fine - charleston workshop on thursday, social night on friday, social dancing in the streets today, and tonight there are two parties, but i'm ready for some good sleep! i havent slept much, and i need plenty ofsleep!
luh
now what really is the charleston? I took 1st place in a fun dance last year where the final was a charleston, but neither my partner or I had any clue as to what we were supposed to be dancing....

pygmalion

RIdancer82 said:
now what really is the charleston? I took 1st place in a fun dance last year where the final was a charleston, but neither my partner or I had any clue as to what we were supposed to be dancing....
That's hilarious! You won without knowing what the dance was? Sounds like your judges might not've known, either. :rolleyes: :lol:

pygmalion said:
That's hilarious! You won without knowing what the dance was? Sounds like your judges might not've known, either. :rolleyes: :lol:
We thought it was hilarious too! when we walked up to get our ribbons, we were completely torn between being stunned and laughing hysterically!

oh, and did I mention that we danced whatever it was, butt-cheek to butt-cheek??? :lol:

I'm sure it was interesting to watch to say the least.

RIdancer82 said:
My understanding is that its one of the myriad of swing dances, it tends to use a lot of kicks/points and forward/backward steps. It tends to make a lot of use of tandem or side by side positions. From what I've seen its also one of the only swing dances that can also "work" solo. It tends to be one of the "staples" of a lot of musical ensemble group dances. Lindy tends to borrow very heavily from it.

My dance weekend was interesting, got to spend some time on the west coast at the UC Berkeley competition. Wish I'd gotten a chance to dance some and not just type behind the computer. The Berkeley team were wonderful hosts and they pulled off a very comparable competition to what I'm used to on the east coast (for smaller competitions)

luh

1. @ NielsenE - i meant charleston, not side-by-side charleston or tandem charleston, those are things that developed later on. i mean 20's charleston, the origin.

RIdancer82 said:
btw, just notice - there is partner charleston, and charleston danced alone.
first i'd say, to describe 20's charleston right here would be quite tough, so i'll let it to better described versions: wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston_(dance)

and for you to watch some videos:

http://poy.no/files/users/katie/20scharleston/04 - without support (cropped).avi
http://poy.no/files/events/hcccx-2004/MPEG1_VCD/frida-mike_Adv_20Charleston.mpg

there are some competitions in charleston but i can't find them on the net atm
i'll search
luh

Thanks guys! I think I've seen this before, but I'm not sure. The solo one looks familiar, but the partner video won't open or play.... not sure why. Anyway, thanks for the explanations!

luh

I'm not sure if i'm going tomorrow. Let's see.

Though, I got a real nice compliment yesterday after class. (we had 6 leaders too much) so when they asked, I said, I'll do follower. (never done follower in tandem charleston).
afterwards when we all set around with our beers in the garden, i got told that i was the best follower, and that i had the most tention. :D - i don't get those good compliment as leader, i should switch ;)
luh

i've been a salsera for a couple years already, but this weekend i took my first class with eddie torres.

WOW.

what energy that man has. he led that class like he was being evaluated - so much energy, enthusiasm, interest. i was extremely impressed and surprised. i've taken classes from his wanna-be instructor protegees who are visibly bored after just a few years of having their own schools.

the partnerwork was pretty useless (it was a perfectly nice pattern but most of the guys i danced with could not lead it) but the shines were great and everybody danced like their lives depended on it. the most advanced shines (this was his most advanced class) were quite difficult and he only broke down a small fraction of what he actually demonstrated, but he has MASSIVE teaching chops and i came out of the class feeling like my salsa had simultaneously come full circle and been shown the door to an entirely new level.

also loved the input maria torres gave. she made a couple very nuanced corrections to me that were priceless. when you watch her dance she is transformed instantly to this amazing, sultry person... you can see the entire genesis of the new york ladies' style in her, you see it fully developed and perfectly executed, yet natural and precise... so different than the way most of us young-uns dance it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dance Ads