So it seems I do Lindy Hop now

Steve Pastor

Staff member
I've been researching and writing about early West Coast Swing, and in order to trace how it developed... Well, you can guess what I've been reading about, listening to, etc.

Last night someone mentioned that there is a Lindy Hop lesson going on at the Crystal Ballroom in Portland next Sunday. I had just one lesson many years ago at the same place, which is a pretty cool, renovated by the McMenniman brothers. What I remember about it was that the women didn't seem too happy with me because I wasn't getting whatever they were trying to teach, and, there were some really good people dancing there before and after the lesson.

"you'll see and join in with couples Swing Dancing the classic styles that incorporate elements of the Charleston, Lindy Hop, Balboa, Shag, Peabody, and perhaps even the once outlawed Turkey Trot."

So, it looks like I'm going to TRY to do Lindy Hop now, along with all the other dances I've only been looking at and reading about. (Assuming I stick with it.)

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Turns out that they taught Charleston last Sunday, not Lindy Hop. It was great fun with a wide range of ages taking the lesson. I am of the opinion that my manner is much more relaxed than it used to be about things like not getting it, etc. I guess 20 or so years of social dancing can do that to you.

bookish

Charleston isn't bad to start with. There's a lot of it in Lindy and eventually a swingout and other moves can be done in charleston style with kicks as well.

Did you go to any more events?

Steve Pastor

Staff member
Hello, Jamin!
If I did Lindy, I'd be glad to compare. I'm sure others will have somethng to say about it.

Meanwhile, I've done a bit of travel myself, and would be interested in hearing about your trip(s).
Look for a World Travel Thread in the Fun Stuff and Inspiration section.

leee

I took my first charleston lesson on Sunday. I've followed it, but it was good to get some actual instruction. I like it!
Even though I'm awfully prone to get off time in it, I really like Charleston, probably because I like being able to dance the fast songs (or to moderately paced songs when I'm tired/lazy) and haven't spent time learning Balboa yet.

bookish

Where'd he go...

Charleston is relatively relaxed to fast songs; Balboa is even more so. Some Bal-Swing is lead/followable based on a solid Lindy Hop background, although a whole dance of it, or pure Balboa, really takes both people knowing the dance IMO. And it's a smaller community than Lindy Hop, although there are groups springing up here and there to promote it.

Siggav

Yeah, the whole "Just try it leading me into it" thing really doesn't work with pure bal. It's an educated dancer's dance. Quite a lot of fun and very relaxing to do to fast music.

Dance Ads