So You Think You Can Dance... Argentine Tango (Fantasia)

Me

Well, Dmitry Chaplin was responsible for this piece of choreography and I must say... this is much classier and much more intricate than what I've seen pass for AT in the past on this show. Sure, it might not be the most original choreography for show tango, but what we have here is show tango, and not some BS choreography that is called show tango. Thank you, Dmitry! I think the dancers did a very good job as well, considering the level of difficulty. :)

samina

thanks for sharing that, Me...enjoyed it. for two non-tango dancers, i thought that was very impressive, for such short preparation time.

dang...that chica's got some nice high kicks.

Ampster

Well, Dmitry Chaplin was responsible for this piece of choreography and I must say... this is much classier and much more intricate than what I've seen pass for AT in the past on this show. Sure, it might not be the most original choreography for show tango, but what we have here is show tango, and not some BS choreography that is called show tango. Thank you, Dmitry! I think the dancers did a very good job as well, considering the level of difficulty. :)
I agree whole heartedly, Me! The previous "Argentine Tangos" on SYTYCD have been exactly that... BS choreography labeled as show tango. That's actually why the AT peeps are up in arms (on other parts of this forum) when commenting on the "Argentine Tango" numbers previously.

Dmitry did do a very good job this time. Its the closest to a real show tango (Fantasia) number this show has produced. Its not perfect, but its a helluvalot better than its predecessors.

Ampster

Nice choreography but not AT;
I mean the man standing there there while the woman does shines!
I'm not sharing your great expressions. To many lifts. :cool:

nice routine, but i don't see much AT in there.
I agree that the choroegraphy wasn't all that great. BUT... Our sentiments were that, it was closest to an Argentine Tango routine that they have come up with so far.

The "look and feel"m is almost there. Considering their track record, this was good.

Here are examples of the BS choreography we (I) was referring to: Ivan_&_Alison, Danny_&_Sara

Me

I agree that the choroegraphy wasn't all that great. BUT... Our sentiments were that, it was closest to an Argentine Tango routine that they have come up with so far.

The "look and feel"m is almost there. Considering their track record, this was good.

Here are examples of the BS choreography we (I) was referring to: Ivan_&_Alison, Danny_&_Sara
EXACTLY. Perhaps it will never be perfect (and even if it were, it would not please everybody in the tango world) but this is the closest to an accurate representation of any genre of tango that I've seen to date on this show.

The Danny and Sara routine was amazingly awful. Watch that one, and then watch the one posted in this thread. If that isn't progress, I don't know what is!

Me

I'm not sharing your great expressions. To many lifts. :cool:

nice routine, but i don't see much AT in there.
I would agree with you if the dancers were sticking to what the dance is called on this show, "Argentine Tango." What they are actually dancing is fantasia or "show" tango, and often the complaint about this genre is "not enough tango" or "too many lifts" or "no connection, just flash." So, it is tango, but it isn't... oh dear. To discuss this would open up a HUGE can of worms!

I would agree with you if the dancers were sticking to what the dance is called on this show, "Argentine Tango." What they are actually dancing is fantasia or "show" tango, and often the complaint about this genre is "not enough tango" or "too many lifts" or "no connection, just flash." So, it is tango, but it isn't... oh dear. To discuss this would open up a HUGE can of worms!
probably. but i still don't like it.

i watched that show couple of times, but some routine that i saw was :confused:

i didn't "know" which dance they are dancing. (ok, i knew, but when you put salsa steps in cha cha, i can only say that that choreographer is :rolleyes: )

and i agree with your last sentence. :cool:

Peaches

Better, I guess. But even for Fantasia I still think it lacked tango. More, perhaps, than the Danny & Sara one, but no more than the Ivan & Allison one.

...and, chickies, CLOSE YOUR FREAKIN' LEGS!!!! What's with the bowlegged dancing???

bordertangoman

Well I thought the Ivan & Alison one was better, marginally

but dancing like ducks Peaches is right keep your feet together and

[RANT DELETED DUE TO EXCESSIVE USE OF EXPLETIVES]

It's funny because they're all supposed to be dancers with dancers' habits - I don't see it - Every single dance teacher I've ever had would have a contusion watching this. This bowlegged "I kick my legs up as high as I can and hope it impresses" thing really isn't working for me. The new one is marginally better but, still, too many high kicks and crazy lifts for my taste - isn't tango supposed to be close and intimate?

Me

I completely agree with you guys about technical issues but... did these dancers have a week to learn tango? Something like this? As a renegade ballerina myself, I shudder to think what it would look like if I danced AT on national television after only having a week.

I think the dancers are largely at the mercy of the choreographers at this point, unless I am misunderstanding something about this show...

You have to understand, despite having only a week to learn this in - that's exactly what they have - an ENTIRE week. That's all they do for 7 days/8-9 hours a day. While that is tiring and difficult, they are dancers - they have the basics of dance down so it's just getting the movement and styling. After all, they're not truly learning AT - separate moves, leads, follows, etc - they're learning a routine.

Peaches

I have no real problem with the dancers. A week is nothing. I just don't care for the choreography--that's really all my comment was about.

Except the bowlegged part. That drives me nuts. I wish someone had corrected that, because it just looks bad. I feel like being unreasonable about that one little thing. :)

Me

Well I agree... but again, I disagree. :)

These are trained dancers, but the muscle groups and methodology are quite different.

The bowlegs are yes, an eyesore. As AT dancers, we are taught from day one to keep those knees in... but on the flipside, ballerinas are taught to turn those knees out!

My point being, these experienced dancers will have to fight possibly years of prior training, to unlearn practiced habit that is now engrained in the learned muscle memory, things the dancers are not even conscious of... in one week. I do not watch this show - Does anybody know if this is ever addressed? The task of simultaneous learning and unlearning.

You have to understand, despite having only a week to learn this in - that's exactly what they have - an ENTIRE week. That's all they do for 7 days/8-9 hours a day. While that is tiring and difficult, they are dancers - they have the basics of dance down so it's just getting the movement and styling. After all, they're not truly learning AT - separate moves, leads, follows, etc - they're learning a routine.

:p

totally agree with you.

Me

Hmm. I need some clarity. I think I must be confused.

Some of this discussion seems to border on saying experienced theatrical dancers should be able to master (or at least, mimic) AT technique within a routine in one week. Is that the argument? If so, it is definitely different from what has been said by others in past discussions here - How many times have ballroom dance schools been blasted for assuming they can master/teach AT because they've studied so many other dances? What happened to the "You must spend at least two years walking, grasshoppah" school of thought for mastering tango?

Am I way off the mark here? You can tell me. I'm a big girl. :)

Dance Ads