So You Think You Can Dance...

According to some of the other boards (yes, I am that hooked) the remaining routines will be solo.

I am glad that we got to see ballroom from Snow and Artem while we had the chance.

Thank you for the name of the Foxtrot Choreographer. That was so smooth and elegant.
 
Medira said:
Nick and Kamilah:
I really enjoyed their contemporary piece. The way everything worked together, right down to the costuming was really well done. The mambo, not so much...and mambo is one of my favourite dances! The music needed spice and the choreography tried way too hard to work despite the lacklustre musical selection. Sadly, there wasn't really anything to work with to make that number more entertaining.

Blake and Melody:
I was expecting something amazing from two lyrical dancers given "partnered" lyrical choreography. I didn't get it. I found the routine very disappointing because I had expected it to provoke more of an emotional connection to the routine and, while it was pretty, it felt very flat. The disco number, while fun, also lacked that emotion. I just didn't feel chemistry there between the two of them and that detracted from their routines.

Artem and Ashle:
Aretm's two dance picks for last night truly made me squee. I thought that their foxtrot was very fun to watch, though there wasn't really any lead/follow. If it had been more of an actual foxtrot, then I would have been really pleased. As for the cha cha, whomever choreographed that routine needs to be shot. I mean, s/he was working with a LATIN BALLROOM DANCER and that's the best s/he could come up with?? Yeesh... I was so disappointed to see what they were given to work with for this number...

Jamile and Melissa:
The hip hop was fun and Melissa milked it for all it was worth with her facial expressions. I wasn't as impressed with Jamile simply because this is his forte. I honestly expected him to bring it up to another level and really work it. As for the paso doble, I really hate how they ripped Jamile apart. Yeah, Artem did the paso much better than Jamile, but this is what Artem does! Jamile is a hip hop dancer and I think he did a damned good job given the fact that he had less than a week to learn the routine and try to get the connection and styling down properly. Give the guy a bit of credit.

As for the bottom two, I would have put Jamile/Melissa there, as well as Blake/Melody.
Wow, that sums it up almost exactly the same for me with the exception that I like Melody and Blake but they just didn't have the emotional connection as partners for me.
 
dancergal said:
Medira said:
Blake and Melody:
I was expecting something amazing from two lyrical dancers given "partnered" lyrical choreography. I didn't get it. I found the routine very disappointing because I had expected it to provoke more of an emotional connection to the routine and, while it was pretty, it felt very flat. The disco number, while fun, also lacked that emotion. I just didn't feel chemistry there between the two of them and that detracted from their routines.
Wow, that sums it up almost exactly the same for me with the exception that I like Melody and Blake but they just didn't have the emotional connection as partners for me.
The lack of connection is why I would have put them in the bottom two. It's just so important to have it in a lyrical number like the one that they did! I can appreciate the technique and the skill required to pull off a routine like the one that they did -- I used to be a lyrical dancer myself -- but that connection either makes or breaks the routine, and it just wasn't there.
 
Unfortunately, since school has started, we've missed the last two episodes. It's on too late for the kids to watch and if they know that I have it on they won't go to sleep...they try to listen....lol. I have to tape it I guess.
 
Watched it LIVE

I just got back from the taping of this coming Wednesday's show. It was VERY impressive to see the dancers perform live. They are all such great talents, and it's always sad to see any of them have to go "home". Anyway, I can't really give any specifics, but I can share a picture, and say that we're definitely in for a couple more weeks of awesome dancing on TV...

 
tacad said:
Laura said:
Who the hell ever heard of "On-1" Cha Cha?
:lol: I see it a lot in salsa clubs.
I love Cha Cha and wish they played it more in the Salsa clubs. I agree with Laura that it would be odd to dance it on-1. I think historically Cha Cha grew out of Mambo - it was an additional bit added in as a sort of embellishment to the Mambo - so really should be danced on-2.

But it's true, you do see people trying it on-1 in the Salsa clubs. Presumably they're people who love the Cha Cha rhythm (it's infectious!) and want to dance, but haven't been to any on-2 classes so they just try to do it any way they can.

Rosa :)
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, a lot of the cha cha that gets played in the clubs these days makes sense to dance on1. In the same way that a lot of current salsa music deviates from the original mambo music, so too with some contemporary cha cha. Also note that a lot of club cha cha is of a much slower trempo than ballroom cha cha.

I still prefer cha cha on2 and think this still fits the music of the majority of cha cha music far better (given the derivation from mambo noted by Rosa), but I also don;t think its entirely fair to say that all those dancing on1 to *club* cha cha are doing so only because they don't know any "better."
 
Re: Watched it LIVE

Porfirio Landeros said:
I just got back from the taping of this coming Wednesday's show. It was VERY impressive to see the dancers perform live. They are all such great talents, and it's always sad to see any of them have to go "home". Anyway, I can't really give any specifics, but I can share a picture, and say that we're definitely in for a couple more weeks of awesome dancing on TV...
So, um, will the next few weeks feature a certain ballroom dancer? Come on, you can tell us, no one will ever know!! :twisted:
 

SDsalsaguy

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Watched it LIVE

wyllo said:
Porfirio Landeros said:
I just got back from the taping of this coming Wednesday's show. It was VERY impressive to see the dancers perform live. They are all such great talents, and it's always sad to see any of them have to go "home". Anyway, I can't really give any specifics, but I can share a picture, and say that we're definitely in for a couple more weeks of awesome dancing on TV...
So, um, will the next few weeks feature a certain ballroom dancer? Come on, you can tell us, no one will ever know!! :twisted:
Yome mean except for it being in print and viewable by the 70,000+ people who access DF each month? :wink:
 
Re: Watched it LIVE

SDsalsaguy said:
Yome mean except for it being in print and viewable by the 70,000+ people who access DF each month? :wink:
Hey -- you're not helping my attempt to get information here! :tongue:
 
SDsalsaguy said:
I still prefer cha cha on2 and think this still fits the music of the majority of cha cha music far better (given the derivation from mambo noted by Rosa), but I also don't think its entirely fair to say that all those dancing on1 to *club* cha cha are doing so only because they don't know any "better."
I hate to say it but you may be right. They may not know any better. Or let me put it this way, they are not really listening to the music.

You may be on time, dancing on the 1, but you are totally out of rhythm. Musically, the triplet or cha cha cha occures on the 4&1. The 4 note is devided into 1/2 beats, while the one is a full beat. That's why the feet are passed, cha cha cha to imulate the rhythm of the music. Therefore the foreward break is done on the 2. Get any Tito Puente record, and just listen to the rhythm. It does not occur on the 3&4, which would then dictate a foreward break on the 1.

The reason why the Salsa people break on the one in Salsa and cha Cha cha cha is because it is easier for the social dancer to pick up the one, and thertefor easier to teach the beginning student. The more trtained students and competition dancers are not only on time, but in rhythm with the music, and therefor break on the 2
 
Porfirio Landeros said:
musicchica86 said:
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Artem could have choreographed that himself and done a better job! What is with these ballroom choreographers lately? :roll:
They didn't have time to tell you who choreographed what this week, but the Cha Cha was actually choreographed by the Salsa choreographer, Alex. This would also explain why the Cha Cha had sooooo many tricks and was done On-1 vs. On-2. I can only imagine how hard it was for Artem to do Cha Cha On-1, when you're used to not counting and can already feel it On-2.
It was a shame that Artem had to be put in the position of having to perform a routien choreographed by someone who is not close to his level of dancing, and has little knowledge of the true character of the dance. The were many give aways as to who did the choreography.

The hand behind the back with multiple lady turns is a typical Salsa affectation. Dancing on the one. Multiple tricks. Using the same choreography over and over with each couple. It's kind of like old time hustle to Salsa music. If you want to see all the choreography that Alec gave every couple, it comes right out of his routien at the Mayan Salsa Championships.

Mary Murphey should have had the job. She could have thrown her hat in the room and gave Artem free reign. And that what Alec should have done. Too bad!!
 
I'm just shocked that Artem isn't winning the competition. And for him to go and the other guy stay???

This is what happens when non-dancers vote, I think, not that I'm a great dancer or anything.

Long live Artem!!!
 
Mary Murphey should have had the job. She could have thrown her hat in the room and gave Artem free reign. And that what Alec should have done. Too bad!!
I think that's what she would have done. Or at least let Artem have a large amount of input for what choreography she gave them.

dancing_princess said:
I'm just shocked that Artem isn't winning the competition. And for him to go and the other guy stay???

This is what happens when non-dancers vote, I think, not that I'm a great dancer or anything.

Long live Artem!!!
That's exactly what happens when non-dancers vote. It happened on DWTS, and it's happening now. It's also what happens when non-singers vote on American Idol and Rockstar: INXS.
 

Dance Ads