[social dancing] Increase your chances of getting asked

dbk

I saw this lady once. She was wearing a very fitted, very short dress that kept riding up. Excellent dancer she was, but I think I would feel uncomfortable WITH her if I were dancing with her.
Hate this. Sometimes you really don't know if a dress isn't social-friendly until you're actually at the social, no matter how much you test it out before hand...

mindputtee

Hate this. Sometimes you really don't know if a dress isn't social-friendly until you're actually at the social, no matter how much you test it out before hand...
That's why a pair of bike shorts or dance pants lives in my dance bag. Never know when you or someone else will need it.

Hedwaite

I always pick the bottom of the dress up and separate the outer from inner skirt. Sure enough, the inner skirt is usually narrow, and the outer is all pretty and floaty.

And then I put them down and go buy black pants.

Hedwaite

Dollar Tree, Rise/Fall- and even little bitty hand-warmer packs too, though I don't know what you'd need those for unless the seats were cold, Lol.

To everyone: How else do you increase your chances of being asked to dance?
Get in the social circle of the prospective partner(s), so the awkwardness of unfamiliarity
is alleviated. Not only does this increase the chance of being asked, but it reduces the
chance of being rejected. At least in theory. Oftentimes, as with any human interactions,
making friends is just not that easy.

Of course, there is also the case of not (no longer) being asked or (newly) being rejected
by already socially-familiar (past) partners, which is yet another facet of human drama.

Now, whether social dancing provides a natural avenue for social (non-dancing) interaction,
or social interaction provides greater opportunity for social dancing is up for debate.
Sometimes, it's nice to know more about someone and sometimes it's better to know
less.

ajiboyet

Get in the social circle of the prospective partner(s), so the awkwardness of unfamiliarity
is alleviated. Not only does this increase the chance of being asked, but it reduces the
chance of being rejected. At least in theory. Oftentimes, as with any human interactions,
making friends is just not that easy.

Of course, there is also the case of not (no longer) being asked or (newly) being rejected
by already socially-familiar (past) partners, which is yet another facet of human drama.

Now, whether social dancing provides a natural avenue for social (non-dancing) interaction,
or social interaction provides greater opportunity for social dancing is up for debate.
Sometimes, it's nice to know more about someone and sometimes it's better to know
less.
What if you NEVER see those people apart from at the social?

What if you NEVER see those people apart from at the social?
The idea is to rub elbows at the social dances while not dancing, which often leads to socializing
elsewhere. Seems to work for many people.

The AM and FA chains (and studios modelled after them) are run as social clubs, where familiarity
is the order of the day and asking for and accepting dances is taken for granted.

Dance Ads